Ulta Beauty Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Cons

1. "Merchandise and Service Coordinator"

Former Employee - Merchandise & Service Coordinator in Lufkin, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandise & Service Coordinator in Lufkin, TX

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn to not trust anyone

Cons

Management is horrible. If you put in your two-weeks they will find ways to fire you.

Advice to Management

Grow up.

2. "Disscrimination"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mooresville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mooresville, NC

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts on makeup, flexible for part time

Cons

Rude employee, no training what so ever, odd hours, no breaks

Advice to Management

I could report one of your managers to HR. I have an autoimmune disease and got very sick and had the flu for a week. Every time I worked with this manager she would make rude comments to me saying I never work or I'm always sick. I had dr notes. When I was well enough to be at work I worked very hard while most employees stood around just gossiping. There was so much employee drama. There was no training at all, you were thrown into the store expecting to know where everything was located. Prestige associates treated everyone else like they were beanth them.

3. "If you like working 4hrs a week, apply here"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

25% discount and you get to meet some amazing people.

Cons

Well, it's retail so customers can be a real pain sometimes. Management will treat you like a child, just assuming you need to be micromanaged all the time. Also, there's a serious lack of hours given to employees, every week on our schedule its 0-4 hours for everyone but management. It's impossible to be invested in this company and to do a good job when sometimes you're not working for two weeks. They also don't update you on changes to the store like promotions or things like how to deactivate security tags, they just let you make a fool of yourself.

Advice to Management

Give hours to the people that actually do a good job, I know many of us want and need hours! And actually, update us on promotions that are happening so we can properly inform the customers.

"Bad Company to work for!"

Former Employee - Retail Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gratis, your team will support you if you support them,

Cons

Too high expectations for the pay, long hours, too much micromanaging from upper management, no real training for new managers, work on a skeleton payroll budget

Advice to Management

Ulta Beauty is an amazing concept, however, it's run horribly at a store level. I'm a seasoned retail manager, yet with Ulta Beauty, you can't win. The goals and expectations are ridiculously high. It's also one of the lowest paying retailers in cosmetics. I left because i'd rather go somewhere else and make the same amount of money, just no stress. I think the discouraging part is when you and your team bust your butt, and then are told you aren't meeting expectations. No other manager could make the results you're looking for, yet Ulta doesn't care.

5. "Continuously Held Back"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The makeup
    - Talking with customers about makeup
    - New employee coupons
    - The /ONE/ good manager who actually seemed to know what she was doing and makes you feel like you belong

Cons

- Bad hours
    - Stocking with no overtime
    - Managers didn't care to learn names
    - No proper training managers didn't like answering questions had to figure it out with trial and error which took up more time
    - Stock hours
    - Schedule was rarely done on time
    - Bad management
    - Requests to change hours were ignored
    - Did I mention the stock hours?

Advice to Management

If they took the time to actually care about all of the employees instead of special treatment to certain ones, people wouldn't quit as often. It's hard to feel motivated to be part of the team when no one bothers to learn your name (especially since there weren't many employees, to begin with). Having questions isn't a bad thing especially when dealing with systems that aren't at every job. Making employees feel like they should magically know everything is unrealistic. Felt more like a clique than a real work environment. No one knew what was going on and managers constantly gave different direction for the same tasks.

"Part Time Beauty Advisor"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing selection of products in Mastige and Prestige brands. Pro Hair Care, Nail Care and Full Salon Services. The best group of people I've ever worked with. Reasonable discount on products & duscount applies to Salon services as well.

Cons

Always short staffed, never enough cashiers or sales floor support. Most Salons don't have a receptionist. So not only are you fielding regular customer cslls, but Salon & Benefit Brow Bar calls for appointments. It's a circus trying to maneuver through doing a color match, to answering the phones, booking appointments and running the register. In a 8,000 sq. ft. building you usually have approximately 3-4 associates covering the floor. It's very hard if not almost impossible to do your job accurately or efficiently. Don't even throw in Merchandising that happens almost bi-wkly, floor sets, large shipments (usually 3-4 pallets) and Operations. There's just not enough payroll to get these tasks done well. In the District I work in there have been 10 District Managers within 7 years. They don't last long, same with store level support. Turnover is high, so there's always on-boarding and training that needs to be done. Not a lot of training takes place in regards to store or product knowledge. Only Beauty Advisors get product knowledge training which is usually a video type training.

Advice to Management

Senior Management- Mary Dillion, add some payroll to these stores. Hold GM's accountable for staffing stores adequately. Add at least a part-time receptionist to field Salon calls. All staff needs to be trained in product knowledge so that the customer experience isn't broken. Add more cashiers to make the line for check out move faster. It would be a overall better experience. Recruit, hire and train the right District Management with experience managing a big box.

7. "Ok"

Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Lake Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Lake Worth, TX

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clients excitement. Helping clients with needs.

Cons

No communication. Pettiness between staff.

Advice to Management

Follow through on store rules and guidelines. Stop being afraid to hold people accountable.

8. "Hair Stylist"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

25% off discount and flexible shifts

Cons

Management is a joke and HR allow you to get harassed and bullied with no repercussion!

9. "Beauty advisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyler, TX

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts on all merchandise

Cons

Terrible management, lots of favoritism, low pay, bad hours, no organization, and the management doesn't want to do their job, so the lower level workers end up getting blamed for not doing their jobs.

Advice to Management

Before you become the manager of a cosmetics store, make sure that you have at least some knowledge of the products you're selling.

10. "Ulta Distribution"

Former Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were no pros. DC work was horrendous. They went thru 19 managers in 18 months. They did not listen to managers they just made unobtainable orders

Cons

HR never worked with managers. There was no leadership in the DC. The senior team only cared about covering their buts.

Advice to Management

Listen to your all your managers.

Showing 474 of 2,851 reviews