Ulta Beauty Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Ok place to work"

Current Employee - Benefit Arch Expert in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Benefit Arch Expert in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Getting a good discount. Working with makeup. Making guests feel good about themselves. Learning new makeup techniques. Drama free environment

Cons

The pay is terrible. More is asked of you then what you get paid for. My management doesn’t seem to care when you go to them about a problem. They care more about making money then their employees.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better and care about your employees more.

2. "Retail yes/ Salon NO!"

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time

Pros

25% discount
    It's a fun place to help women.

Cons

The salon is a joke. There isn't really much earning potential. They expect your clients to give you a raise (increasing your prices as you "level jump based on how many clients you get and retain), management is useless!
    Micromanaging by workers who have been there for longer periods and a lot of cattiness.
    Also a stressful environment.

Advice to Management

Train your managers in handling conflict so they can actually do their job instead of blowing it off in hopes that it'll go away.

3. "Lancome manager"

I worked at Ulta Beauty (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay and great line

Cons

Work hours, unrealistic goals and always short staffed

4. "No Gratis, Could Pay More"

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

If you love all things beauty and skincare related, then you will love the environment.

Cons

Does not pay well. Especially if you are in a service position. Says that training will be extensive and ongoing, but it ended for me at least, after the two-three day orientations/ onboarding process.

Advice to Management

Hourly pay should be increased especially when you barely pay commission on services that are rendered.

5. "Ok Job if you aren't looking for a lot of hours"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in River Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in River Forest, IL

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

The 25% employee discount was nice

Cons

Scheduled hours where heavily based on our ability to sign up customers for ultimate rewards accounts. Unfortunately, most customers had accounts already. Customers without accounts were often one time shoppers, making it difficult to persuade them.

Hours are cut extremely frequently.

Not much opportunity for advancement.

6. "Salon Manager"

Former Employee - Salon Manager in Houma, LA
    Former Employee - Salon Manager in Houma, LA

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benifits! Loved doing hair! Great location. Worked around life dreams

Cons

No support!!!! I asked for help countless times and never received! Management lies and comes with ways to get rid of somebody! The harressment level was out of this world.

Advice to Management

The district down here needs a full investigation in regards to who they let run it.

"Benefits and pay were not worth the nonsense"

Former Employee - Merchandise & Service Coordinator in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Merchandise & Service Coordinator in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As someone who loves makeup and is well versed in customer service in retail, i thought I'd love this job. i did not. Only pros for me were the discount, flexible work hours, and having knowledge about new makeup releases

Cons

Maybe this is a store by store basis, but the store I entered at was complete chaos, and that caused me to quit. First of all, the training i received was not at all for the position I was eventually working at my home store. I was responsible for duties (and expected to know how) to perform them without assistance, and when asked for help I was berated and then treated like an idiot honestly. None of the other managers cared to do their job, and coworkers would regularly not show up and still be allowed to work there. It was a mess that wasnt worth working for, new product (high end prestige) sat in the back a month because no one cared to put it out, advertisements and fixtures regularly went missing, and I was locked out for 2hrs because no one thought to give me my keys to the store my first opening shift.

Advice to Management

Hire people who actually care to do their job, or at least show up

8. "Beauty Advisor"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

employee discount, fun coworkers, and many down to earth managers. 50% salon services!! You will also learn a ton about brands and makeup trends.
    I also love how ulta directly empowers women through management positions. You also learn a lot and gain experience needed to work further in cosmetics (i.e.. cosmetics counters).

Cons

The number one con is the absolutely abysmal pay for beauty advisors, hardly better than minimum wage unless you are a prestige advisor (just under $10). You can have years and years of retail experience and never make more than 9.50/hour as a beauty advisor.

The pay IS NOT worth it for what you have to put up with:
    -register : you will be on register for almost your entire shift if you are not lucky enough to work on the prestige side of the store. The line builds up incredibly fast and very often. It is hard to get the line down on the weekends, which is frustrating for all involved.

-loyalty: you will have to get personal information from every customer who doesn't have a rewards account. This is not easy, and it frankly is tiring. You will to get down everyone's address, zip, phone #, birthday, first name, last name, and email - if they let you, which can be a battle in and of itself each shift.

guests: a constant barrage of attitude due to confusion over coupons among other things like limited supplies of free gifts. You will have to explain at least 5-10 times per shift why a coupon won't work (can easily get over 20 on a bust weekend shift). Also be prepared for people to lose their cool over free gifts as well as treat you with a general lack of respect and consideration (retail in general). Be prepared to be accused of ulterior motives when you're just trying to do your job and - i.e., "You want me to spend MORE money??" "Will you sell my information?" as well as huffs and puffs and "oh no you don'ts!!" when the guest is approved for a credit card and you inform them.

doing the leg work with no perks : Beauty advisors are also sometimes pressured to incorporate add-on items to sales at the register and promote other brand representatives/employees with NO direct benefits coming back to the beauty advisor, i.e., it's not worth your while because we get paid the same regardless. Your manager may or may not care enough to even thank you for going above and beyond your title. Beauty advisors are also pressured to get guests to sign up for credit cards, again, NOT worth the hassle. The store benefits, but not the advisors themselves. The only benefit there is that sometimes you can compete to win some makeup or other "prize" if you get enough credit card sign-ups.

short shifts :Ulta also doles out many short shifts, around 4-6 hours if you're a basic beauty advisor. You may find yourself working all week, yet only working 20 hours or less total, which is not good for your money due to the very low hourly pay.

early and late shifts: be prepared to come in at 5 am to prep the store for new promotions. Some stores have very late "truck" shifts in which you are scheduled until 1 or 2 am on a week night.

Advice to Management

A fair wage for advisors needs to be employed, like, yesterday. At minimum $10/hour is reasonable and fair. It is not worth it for anyone to stick around for under $9 with the demands, volumes, and expectations of most stores. It is frankly disrespectful considering ulta is making money hand over fist.

9. "Inconsistent..."

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good discount on products and salons and locations. Company does not push sales goals like others I have worked for.

Cons

No training
    No consistency
    Disorganized
    Scheduling issues
    Low pay
    Inconsistent management
    Do not value customers
    Unethical practices
    Never get your break

Advice to Management

Actually train your employees. Your managers wouldn't then need to be "interrupted" and visibly annoyed when assistance is needed at the cash wrap. Weed out managers who clearly don't want to work in their role. Tell the company to deal with coupons and promotions better. Stop pushing in store events on to beauty advisors. It is literally not their job. That should be for prestige artists. Stop punishing customers who don't want to join the loyalty program. People are allowed to say no. Don't have your management teach manipulation to beauty advisors regarding the loyalty program. I have been told to lie to people just to get the right loyalty number.
    There is no accountability among lower level managers and everything is always the beauty advisors fault. General managers and more upper management has been great to work with. Beauty advisors are clearly treated as disposable and are always disrespected. I have gotten my rightful 15 minute break ONCE since I have worked for them.

10. "Good discount, terrible pay and upper management"

Current Employee - Prestige Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Prestige Sales Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount, gratis, 401k and health benefits. I enjoyed everyone that wasn't in management. They were sweet and always willing to help you out.

Cons

Upper management, never enough coverage, expect way too much out of yoga for the amount you get paid. Lowest paying management job I've ever had, and I've been managing for 7+ years. They lie to you to make you feel better, just to get you to do what THEU want you to do, then sell your work short. They don't truly care about their employees.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more. There are OTHER places in the cosmetic industry just like this company that pay WAY more. They low ball you, then expect the world out of you. Oh, and if there are other managers that have been there before you, and they slack off when the GM isn't there, don't ever expect for the GM to believe you. They'll always stick up for their own.

Showing 562 of 3,090 reviews