Ulta Beauty Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance not always met (in 103 reviews)

• No support from upper management (in 128 reviews)

"Challenging but fulfilling career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company values, decent work life balance, over time is frowned upon, great salon discount, company seems to value employees opinions through culture surveys annually and we saw change at a field level, good brand training, good opportunity for advancement

Cons

Pay is low for responsibilities expected to fulfill, time is not given to recruit or network outside their 4 walls, you must come from a strong leadership background as there is not really a structured leadership outline or program on the retail side of the business. Sense of urgency around filling management positions lacking from DM and higher.

Advice to Management

If your initiatives include staffing and scheduling, give us the time to recruit and network outside of the customers that walk in. Leaving management positions open for months and months is unacceptable. Continue to listen to your field staff through the culture surveys. We appreciate that you're listening and making changes. Spend the payroll so we can make money and protect our inventory. And last but most important, create a leadership program that teaches your "green" managers how to be better leaders so they can better inspire their employees.

2. "Challenging fast pace rewarding environment."

Current Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always busy, great perks. Core values resonate with me. Awesome gratis!

Cons

Not enough coverage for it associates. Lots of tasks and heavy workload.

Advice to Management

Stores need more hours.

"Associate Manager of Operations"

Former Employee - Associate Operations Manager in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Associate Operations Manager in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on the location you work at and who the other managers at this location are, this can be a wonderful and very fulfilling job. I learned more about managing a team here in a few years than I could have ever imagined. Pay is decent and work life balance is really great considering the job and responsibilities of management roles. Plenty of room for advancement here, I moved up from a cashier to an associate manager in just three years with the company. If I lived closer to a location with a good general manager I would never have left this company.

Cons

Customers are always a con some days in retail, some sales goals are completely unattainable and make it hard to bonus out the year if you do not work for an A-volume store.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to pay attention to how stores are being run, we never saw the district manager in the store at my last location I worked at with this company and had she ever actually come in the store maybe she would have noticed that the general manager was never in the store and when she was she was in the office braiding her favorite employees hair or having her other managers do her "gold manager" homework for her.

"Not a bad job, but still very retail"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Deerfield Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Deerfield Beach, FL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are absolutely lovely and making working there fun. My manager is very professional and by-the-book, but she sticks up for associates if a customer starts getting verbally abusive.
    There are a ton of products in the store, but you learn the brands we do and don't have very quickly, and you're encouraged to ask other associates if you don't know if we have something or not. I never feel bad or dumb for asking questions.
    For the most part the customers are nice, and you can get excited about makeup with them and share your knowledge. (You don't have to know anything about makeup to apply, but it helps!)
    We do get gratis occasionally, though I don't know how frequently it's supposed to happen nor when it will occur, and I don't know what I will get. It seems like a random full sized product and a few trial sizes. But it's mostly been really cool things that I wouldn't have picked up on my own and really ended up liking.
    The 25% discount is really nice, and the 50% in the salon is great, too (and the salon artists still get paid full price, so it's a win for everyone).
    The dress code is fairly loose, you can wear most things as long as they're black (or white tops) and presentable (no leggings, etc).
    You learn a lot about makeup and beauty just working here!

Cons

It doesn't feel like the company has a lot of trust in the employees. Bags must be clear ( I guess not unusual but I've never worked a retail job where I couldn't use my normal purse), and there's such a strong emphasis on loss prevention that if an item is returned, but could be cleaned and made to look like new, it would go back out on the shelves (never eye products, though, if it's any consolation), which was encouraged by our district loss prevention manager. To be fair, it seems like we have a lot of theft--we were supposed to be given a security guard, but half the time they didn't show up.
    I was given very little training (maybe about four hours of videos, and then my register training was watching a coworker ring for ten minutes then being told to hop on), partially because they couldn't afford the hours to train me and partially because I had previous retail experience, but it's led to me getting (mildly) reprimanded for things I didn't know I was/wasn't supposed to do.
    They don't promise you a lot of hours. At my interview my manager said she could only promise about 9-10 hours a week; one week I only had six hours.
    There's a lot of pressure to get people to sign up for loyalty cards, to the point that I've been encouraged to just sign people up without asking if they aren't in the system, even if they don't live in the country, which just feels very nonconsensual.
    There's less pressure from management to sign people up for credit cards (the goal is one per day at my store), but the POS will prompt you to ask customers very frequently, which they usually don't want, and it can lead to you feeling like a very frustrating robot (but I guess that's part of retail work).
    Overall, it just really feels like an average retail job--there's not a lot that really makes it stand out or more enticing than most retail jobs, though the people you work with are very friendly. It's very "by the book."

"Esthetician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mays Landing, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mays Landing, NJ

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours, staff, and education.

Cons

Lack of advertising for the esthetic room.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and arrange the store so the salon is in a better place. Also, eyelash application only needs a private area. Not the whole esthetics room!!!!!

"Great Culture"

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Tarpon Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Tarpon Springs, FL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary, benefits, opportunities for growth. Great for beginner stylist, leadership program, certification program, and one on one coaching. Fun environment.

Cons

Retail not supporting the salon. Other than that there isn't much that's not good about working for this company. The general manager isn't a cosmetologist so she doesn't understand that hair isn't a recipe.

Advice to Management

Please understand salon processes and support them more

"General manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Elizabeth, NJ
    Current Employee - General Manager in Elizabeth, NJ

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities to grow
    Great values

Cons

Processes are not complete always have to guess or just figure things out

Advice to Management

Do what's right

"Esthetician"

Current Employee - Esthetician in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Esthetician in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Optional health, dental, pet, insurance 25% discount retail, free skin/hair treatments. Flexible hours, team oriented. GRATIS!

Cons

Hard to retain clients for long periods, slow summers, wasteful company.

Advice to Management

Need to give more hours to sales floor to meet needs, less destruction and waste of products, value employees more.

9. "Great job, low pay and low hours"

Current Employee - Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work as a team, great gifts, great discount and you can grow with Ulta if you ate dedicated

Cons

Several part-time workers only full-time employees are managers

10. "Hair stylist"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Amherst, NY
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Amherst, NY

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, good atmosphere, friendly customers

Cons

Health benefits, moving up, management support

Showing 615 of 2,844 reviews