Ulta Beauty Reviews | Glassdoor

1,223 Ratings

3,213 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance not always met (in 114 reviews)

• No support from upper management (in 141 reviews)

1. "Ulta Beauty Advisor"

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

Very flexible schedule and great employees.

Cons

Minimal hours, high expectations.

2. "Mixed Bag"

Former Employee - Retail Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Retail Operations Manager

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked at 4 stores over 2.5 years, GMs usually are supportive and have integrity
    Great discounts and employee appreciation

Cons

Some GMs are very cliquey and will treat their managers poorly and without integrity
    Do not expect upper management support if you have issues in the workplace, they will sweep things under the rug
    Employees were not treated as people, with no concern whatsoever for their wellbeing or problems they were facing in or out of work

Advice to Management

Treat all employees equally

3. "They don't listen and it all depends on your GM. If you've got a good one, you're doing well."

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time

Pros

I get a lot of steps in everyday lol.

Cons

Not paid enough for what I do, also I make less than those that do the same job.

Advice to Management

Don't hire power hungry people! Humility, knowledge, and they have to be pleasant!

4. "General Manager"

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time

Pros

Opportunity to grow talent, meet wide range of customers and great pay. Plenty of PTO. Wonderful partnership with brand partners.

Cons

No work life balance; expected to work more than 40 hours/wk. Speak about being an individual; but will be disciplined if you do not go with the grain even if policy is being broken. Numbers mean more than integrity.

5. "Some work some don’t and get away with it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

Great discount, customers are fun and product is great.

Cons

Half the people works while the other half stands around and talks. The half that stands around doesn’t even do what they are told to do. We see them on their phones and just hanging out with each other while there is a line a mile long at the register. A few of the managers really jump on the register and help, but there are a couple who engage in the chit chat and walk away when there is a line at the register like they are above ringing.

Advice to Management

Hold everyone accountable, don’t play favorites. Don’t say things like “What do you need” in a stressed out tone because we need you at the register for approvals. It’s not our fault. Don’t get me wrong, a few of them really help out. We just have a bad egg or two who really think they are above everyone.

6. "Prestige Manager"

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time

Pros

The benefits are excellent, especially health insurance

Cons

work life balance, weekends, strict

7. "Manager"

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time

Pros

Discount, loved makeup and some of the girls I worked with.

Cons

Our general manager was the worst human. Also very cliquey.

8. "The pay would be great if I actually got hours!!!"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount when combined with brand discounts but you cannot combine it with coupons or any other discounts which sucks. During my interview I was told I could do that and even use it online but the store I work at says I can’t or they don’t know about online.

Hourly pay is competitive and based on experience. I know I’m paid more than the girl next to me who has never worked retail and it makes me feel a lot better than previous jobs where we all made the same despite experience or work ethic.

Cons

Scheduling is awful if you are part-time. Do not expect to get enough hours weekly or even biweekly to pay your utilities. The schedule for the next week is always made (at our store) on Thursday or Friday before the next week. Meaning you may not know if you work Sunday until two days prior. If I have to give a 2wks notice to update my availability then the schedule should be made two weeks in advance.

Training prepares you minimally and management does not give you the time to watch the videos on the clock because they always want you doing something.

Some employees of the same job title as me and even seasonal employees seem to know more or have been trained more than I have been. They pick favorites.

Finally, they claim to promote from within. This is not true and do not believe this. Our store is currently hiring for positions that could easily be filled by current employees. You are more likely to get a management position here with no experience in the industry by simply knowing the GM and previously working with the GM somewhere else than if you’ve currently work for the company for years.

Advice to Management

Appreciate everyone equally and figure out a better way to schedule people. If during an interview someone says they are looking to work 20hrs/wk part-time, let them know if that’s possible. If you can only promise the bare minimum that your company allows biweekly, inform someone beforehand. It is rude to hire new people when you cannot schedule your current employees.

9. "Beauty Advisor"

Pros

- Great place to work if you are in school

Cons

-A very difficult place to move up

Advice to Management

- More opportunities to move up/ more internal promotions

10. "Sucky Management"

Former Employee - Guest Coordinator in Estero, FL
    Former Employee - Guest Coordinator in Estero, FL

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts on makeup, loved all my co-workers!

Cons

Horrible management, low pay, favoritsm

Advice to Management

Please learn how to talk to your employees without demeaning them! If you treated employees with respect and made them feel important to the company, they would be more willing to work harder. Most everybody who left left because of the management, so sad. It definitely says something about how you treat them. Wish she understood that.

Showing 3,213 of 3,230 reviews