Ulta Beauty Reviews | Glassdoor

2,777 reviews

Full-time Part-time

2,777 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance not always met (in 102 reviews)

• Communication from upper management could really use some work (in 125 reviews)

1. "Prestige Beauty Advisor"

Current Employee - Prestige Beauty Advisor in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Prestige Beauty Advisor in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

Great people, understanding managers (my location), fun environment. Gradas, which are free product of different make up, skin care and hair products etc. If you love make up, it's a great place to start. Managers will work with your schedule! Pay is good if you don't have real responsibilities, such as daycare, rent, utility bills etc. Promotion is good. I've had two raises since.

Cons

Rude customers (worst I've ever seen working in retail) not enough hours, a pay raise does not add up if your're not getting hours, being pressured to push reward cards. Hours are sometimes based off how many cards you push.

Advice to Management

Managers need to enforce cleanliness in the store, an employee should not have to tell another employee to take trash between shifts, or put away go backs, it should come from a manager. Better rewards should be given to motivate employees. All MANAGERS including District managers should speak to employees. Care for your employees just as much as you do your customers.

2. "Ulta"

Current Employee - Benefit Arch Expert in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Benefit Arch Expert in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved working for Benefit Cosmetics and great co workers.

Cons

Doesnt pay enough and no room for growth

Advice to Management

Needs better management

3. "Excellency and Growing"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in North Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in North Haven, CT

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are constantly learning and growing.The company and management firmly believe in promoting from within and use their open door policy to aid in an employee's growth, encouraging all employees to come in and discuss career pathing. The contests hosted by management also encourage us to consistently do our best always and show that our hard work never goes unnoticed or unappreciated.

Cons

Working in retail means dealing with unruly guests and often times smiling through the insults, yelling, and sometimes threats. I will say that management needs to get better about scheduling and hiring more people to assist with the rush of customers. Often times we are left with one cashier to a line of 20 people that is held up by the need for authorization of a return. Also changing the need for a return over $50 needing to be authorized by a member of the management team or cash lead, it makes doing our job as cashiers a thousand times harder especially on a busy day or when there is an event going on in store.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging us as employees to grow within the company, continue to support us as employees and highlight our strengths as members of the team. It goes a long long way.

5. "Amazing place to work!"

Current Employee - Associate Manager of People in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Associate Manager of People in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, fast paced environment! The company is receptive to feedback and consistently make positive changes. Co-workers are open to feedback. Management continually develops associates by providing ongoing training.

Cons

There have been several times where we have received planograms with missing graphics or fixtures, making it hard to complete tasks in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open to feedback from stores!

"Worth it but only if you can take not being paid like an adult with bills for the first year.."

Former Employee - Skin Therapist in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Skin Therapist in Nashville, TN

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is amazing and they seem to care about each other. Anytime I needed product or was running low, all I had to do was leave a message and it was taken care of right away.

Cons

The pay sucks and the level jump system is all screwed up. The way it works to me is backwards and not well thought of..

Advice to Management

Absolutely. Especially if it's the only way you will get paid more because obviously a licensed professional isn't worth much..

"Ulta Beauty"

Former Employee - Beauty Consultant in Blasdell, NY
    Former Employee - Beauty Consultant in Blasdell, NY

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, and awesome feeling when you are able to make others feel good about themselves. Easy and flexible hours if you are a student.

Cons

Few opportunities to advance. If you are a "beauty consultant" expect being confined to the register. Also, there was often times we had very little help at the front register, even when the checkout line would reach the back of the store.

"Amazing Environment"

Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- strong training program
    - great employee discount
    - great working environment with people who do what they love each day

Cons

- heavy workload at times
    - a lot to follow up with on limited payroll budgets
    - difficult to cross train associates

Advice to Management

With the exception of boutiques and salon, titles that lock associates and managers in specific roles should be done away with. We should encourage having associates who are extremely well-rounded so we can raise the bar not only with who we hire but our expectation for them once in position. And the weekly budget for selling hours definitely has some room. Other than that, it's an amazing place to work and I love it.

9. "Good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, work, merchandise, retail fun

Cons

Work load early mornings task

Advice to Management

Nothing

10. "designer/ stylist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saratoga, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saratoga, CA

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time

Pros

An easy start for gaining clientele but not likely to move with you.

Cons

Management was corporately driven and seemed to have a lot of expectations for what little they offer.

Advice to Management

booking system is majorly flawed *lunch breaks and automatic chemical service booking*

"Associate Manager of Operations"

Current Employee - Associate Manager of Operations in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Manager of Operations in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time

Pros

I have learned that it truly is the team that runs the store that makes it run successfully.

Cons

They promote young associates to give them a mediocre raise instead of paying them what they are worth for all that they do. Way too much theft with not enough loss prevention support from the company if any at all.

Showing 2,777 of 2,790 reviews