Ulta Beauty Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

2,672 reviews

Full-time Part-time

2,672 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance not always met (in 100 reviews)

• Communication is lacking from upper management even though you are required to always know what is going on incase you get a pop visit from your DM (in 122 reviews)

1. "Merchandise & service coordinator"

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

Really fun environment and everyone is friendly.

Cons

Lifting a lot of boxes sometimes a little drama

Advice to Management

Hire young people

2. "Poor Culture"

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time

Pros

Decent discounts on beauty products!

Cons

Snooty staff that is unwilling to help others. Your schedule is taken advantage of and exploited for minimum wage. Little acknowledgement for a job well done. Corporate hierarchy and values.

"Beauty advisor and a lot more"

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My co workers and the discount are the only pros

Cons

You get very little hours. I'm talking, 4-12on average each week. Managers max out at 39 hours while only the GM gets a full 40 hour a week schedule. Schedules are only put out weekly. You DONT get gratis unless you are scheduled to go to trainings... but you're only scheduled if you're a prestige worker...yet they want everyone to push sales. How am I going to sell a product I can't afford because you don't pay me enough to buy it. Nobody at my location has been able to work their way up. So we are left with stuck up, don't tell me what to do cuz I'm YOUR manager, new girls who know nothing about the job and just want a title.

Advice to Management

Please take what your employees say, with an open mind. Always have their back. Get out there on the floor and work with us. You want a team to respect you? Get on their level and see what they have to deal with before you pass judgment on them.

5. "It is what you make it"

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time

Pros

Free Make Up! Some lash and tinting training

Cons

No raises. poor floor management/communication

6. "Esthetician"

Former Employee - Skin Therapist in Pflugerville, TX
    Former Employee - Skin Therapist in Pflugerville, TX

I worked at Ulta Beauty (More than a year)

Pros

Great customer service, professional setting, skincare knowledge

Cons

Low Salary, not enough hours

7. "Great Training"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coming from Supercuts, Ulta was a great transition into a more full service salon type background. The training is amazing as well as the tools and resources provided to get your job done. In just about a month i felt like i had a great understanding of all of the professional products as well as mass products to best help clients in the salon as well as customers out shopping on the floor. It was nice to get a taste of retail experience as well. Not only did i get to expand on my knowledge of hair but i got a ton of knowledge from our various Prestige MUA managers and the support of the Benefit counter team. Its a great way to connect and network with representatives from different brands. Overall its a good stepping stone as a hairstylist in this industry. The pay is not bad and is completely based on how hard you work. And also there is an opportunity for you to become Redken certified if you work hard!

Cons

I think the retail management could work a little bit better with the salon management but I know they will get there soon. The only real downside is the company doesn't promote the salon outside of the store. The store has a lot of slow days so making announcements inside the store for the salon located all the way in the back is a bit pointless when no one is there. Other than that this is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more. We are the ones who are out on the floor most of the time. We have a report with the every day people that come into the store so we are the greatest weapon you have to rocket this business to the moon and beyond.

"If you have the right team this is an amazing place to work. Friendship support fun and fast paced"

Current Employee - Prestige Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Prestige Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always busy, lots of hours, fun for cosmetic lovers, TONS of gratis (freebies), supportive principles. SUPER easy to move up if you are genuinely a driven person.

Cons

not good for people who are frequently ill, can't work quickly, or who are slow paced.

Advice to Management

Support your girls/guys and weed out the negative drama starters, the rest is just learning

9. "Great benefits make up for low wages"

Current Employee - Skin Care Therapist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Skin Care Therapist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits including healthcare, 401k, and paid vacation are just to name a few.

Cons

If you work as an esthetician and don't have a customer database already, it will take MONTHS before you see any kind of a paycheck. Make sure you have a dual income household or don't have many monthly bills if you want to work here.

Advice to Management

Support your esti's more and offer higher wages to retain them and not have multiple employee turnovers.

10. "Fun but pressure for loyalty"

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

Fun place to work. You get to see all the last products and learn more about them. Also being able to connect with customers with a mutual appreciation for makeup and beauty. Plus the gratis isn't bad either.

Cons

There's a lot of pressure to get loyalty sign ups and data capture which also affects how often your scheduled if your not in the top you'll only be scheduled 2 or 3 days. This also goes for BCRF donations in October and gift card sales in November/December.

Advice to Management

Realize that sometime associates will have bad loyalty capture days even when they follow all the guidelines

11. "Ulta Review"

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

Great discount and good environment

Cons

Stylists expected to work on the sales floor during down time. Too much daily paperwork

Showing 2,672 of 2,681 reviews