Ulta Beauty "beauty" Reviews | Glassdoor

Ulta Beauty Employee Reviews about "beauty"

Updated Oct 14, 2019

Found 4665 reviews

3.1
Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon
1,918 Ratings

Reviews about "beauty"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Don’t assume you’ll build clientele"

Former Employee - Hairstylist

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

The store discount was nice.

Cons

They do not care where you’re starting out in the beauty industry. They expect your books to be full & if they aren’t you’re shifts start getting cut. Find a store that’s busy with walk ins or else you’ll be looking for a new job quickly.

Ulta Beauty2019-08-30
  2. "Only experience I had was as a customer"

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

It’s a happy place because of cosmetics

Cons

Be successful popular beauty advisor

Advice to Management

Friendly management and professionalism

Ulta Beauty2019-07-08
  3. "Good Concept"

Former Employee - Salon Manager

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of exposure to new products, techniques, and training. A beautiful working environment with most of the tools and products you will need.

Cons

Corporate beauty concepts don't allow a lot of room for creativity and coloring outside the lines, which is what good stylists do. service menu did not take into account fashion trends and ethnic styles. Corporate micromanaged to maintain an operational standard that did not work well for all areas.

Advice to Management

Listen to your managers, consider a wider range of customer base, allow for product substitution when the need calls for it.

Ulta Beauty2019-07-05
  4. "The most unfeeling company ever!"

Current Employee - Specially Beauty Advisor

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers are like family.

Cons

Management is not like family. They are heartless, asking you to still come in when a family member has died, have a sick child, etc. they only care about themselves and their advancements, not yours. Fake attitudes, pushing customers to buy stuff that isn’t even right for them, just to make a sale. Pressuring the whole store to get credit cards like crazy so they can win contests and get all the recognition. Making... specialty beauty advisors who work for a brand stock the entire store, not just their area as per the official handbook to their job.

Advice to Management

Make it a policy that NO religion or politics should be discussed on the job for no reason at all. Management pushes their super conservative and super Christian views on employees, to the point of asking if they believe in god. You are there to work, politics and religion should never be questioned about at all. Should be a zero tolerance policy to not even bring either up, as neither effects your ability to be a... good employee.

Ulta Beauty2019-07-23
  5. "good first job but could improve"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

flexible schedule, 25% discount and customers were really nice and friendly

Cons

although it was fun and nice to help customers out, it was very over whelming to answer customers questions and watch the register at the same time, My ulta was a bit small compared to other locations so typically it would only be me and my manager working a closing shift. i was hired as a beauty advisor yet i was working register and talking/helping customers in mass and prestige but not getting paid for doing... prestige work. My manager would complain that i was never to be found and should’ve been at the register but it’s nearly impossible to help customers on the opposite side of store and watch the register at the same time because i can’t just tell customers “sorry can’t help i have to watch the register” if no one else is on the floor to help. also, the whole credit card thing is stupid. you can’t force people to sign up for a credit card so it shouldn’t count against you.

Advice to Management

please be more lenient on the credit card sign ups it’s not our faults that most customers already have 5 credit cards and don’t want another.

Ulta Beauty2019-06-26

"I honestly love Ulta"

Current Employee - Prestige Beauty Advisor in Bay Shore, NY

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great coworkers Great training and education on products Flexible schedule Gratis and employee discount Fun work environment Meeting brand reps is a lot of fun Great benefits Competitive pay

Cons

Unclear on how to move up in the company. Prestige beauty advisors cannot do makeup applications Not enough payroll

Advice to Management

I personally think that all employees should have the opportunity to be trained and moved up to prestige. Even if they don’t become prestige beauty advisors, I think beauty advisors could contribute to getting people to buy prestige products over mass cosmetics since they can suggest higher end alternatives and have the product knowledge behind it to justify it. I also think that it is overwhelming for 1 person to... help customers and make sure everything is up to the standards Ulta sets. It’s understandable to think that each person can clean and help section by section and teamwork could be used between the shifts, but oftentimes you can get caught up helping customers and never getting around to doing the little things that make a huge difference between neat and sloppy.

Ulta Beauty2019-05-23
  7. "Best Customer Service Job I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Lead Cashier

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Friendly managers - Responsibilities are well outlined

Cons

- Shifts can be really long (only as lead cashier, beauty adviser positions are alright)

Advice to Management

If management cares then so will the staff below them

Ulta Beauty2019-05-04
  8. "Ok if only looking for a part time job, not a good company to stick with long term"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Patchogue, NY

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you love makeup, it's a fun environment Easy

Cons

Hours cut depending on how while corporate feels the company is doing, if they don't sell enough product they cut hours without warning so they won't have to pay, corporate really doesn't care about employees at all and prestige is treated like they are above regular beauty advisors. The store is also extremely wasteful in throwing out cardboard, plastic, and packaging and leaving lights on 24/7, terrible for the... environment.

Advice to Management

Give raises and stop cutting hours

Ulta Beauty2019-05-02
  9. "Great environment"

Current Employee - Lead Beauty Advisor in Humble, TX

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

I was given the lead position within 4 months of getting my job. They saw my potential and gave it to me. They worked with my school schedule still giving me adequate hours. All of my coworkers helped one another.

Cons

They give you hours according to how well you perform, not caring that people sometimes have bad days. That is not referring to myself I had my solid hours but for the other beauty advisors they really struggled with that

Ulta Beauty2019-04-13
  10. "Ulta Needs Some Work"

Current Employee - Lancôme Beauty Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

A fun environment, and you’re constantly learning new things about products and brands.

Cons

Ulta basis their hours given to employees off their sells. Even in a high volume store there aren’t enough hours given so a guest is ALWAYS griping about how they’re not being assisted. It’s truly not the stores fault. The company is getting over on boutiques because their hours are separate from the Ulta given ones and are to be used to solely focus on the sells and progression of that particular boutique. They’re... not supposed to be the “backup” for Prestige Beauty Advisors. Boutique Leads receive ZERO commissions. Ulta’s pay scale is rather atrocious based on other beauty brand stores.

Advice to Management

Stop being cheap, and give these stores enough hours to fully handle the steady stream of business that’s coming in. Implement a bonus or commission based pay for your boutiques. It’s not right that they are out there on the sells floor pushing and cultivating their brands, but also have to do the same for other brands without compensation. Meanwhile management receives bonuses for the hard work.

Ulta Beauty2019-04-23