Ulta Beauty "employee discount" Reviews | Glassdoor

Ulta Beauty Employee Reviews about "employee discount"

Updated Nov 14, 2019

3.2
Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon
1,993 Ratings
Cons

Reviews about "employee discount"

Return to all Reviews

"Amazing company to work for if you have a good team."

Current Employee - Lead Cashier

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee discount is amazing; additional discount given on some days. I am fortunate to be working with an amazing team so everyday there is fun.

Cons

There are very short breaks.

Advice to Management

communicate with employees rather than talking about them.

Ulta Beauty2019-10-07
  2. "Great training, decent pay"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits include: 25% employee discount 50% salon services -Constant tradings to stay up to date and knowledgeable -Encourages Diversity in hiring staff -Brings awareness several fundraisers and causes through advertising -Promotes growth and higher opportunities throughout the company

Cons

-low pay for management and truck restocking crew -work on holidays -fast turnover of management staff -work culture/environment

Advice to Management

Listen to staff and be more accommodating to life events and schedules.

Ulta Beauty2019-11-15
  3. "Great, fun job. But also beware!"

Former Employee - Prestige Beauty Advisor in Lakewood, CO

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers Fun to see new makeup and products Employee discount Events+ gratis Meet lots of new fun people Fast paced, always different

Cons

Managers picking favorites=Not same treatment as others most of the time Some employees pick up more slack than others and if that's you...not fun. Early hours if you do truck You are on your feet all day (not con to all) Not much room to grow.

Ulta Beauty2019-11-13
  4. "Extremely uncomfortable environment"

Current Employee - Retail Operations Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employee discount That’s the only pro I can think of.

Cons

No product training, favoritism, extreme hours, very very low compensation, no work/life balance. ABSOLUTELY ZERO support with theft, no security or loss prevention. Prepare to work off the clock too.

Advice to Management

Employees won’t come forward about issues due to retaliation, which the company states it’s against policy yet it’s extremely common. Provide ALL locations with security so we don’t have to feel like we could be harmed for “guest servicing”. Annual pay raises are offensive, many associates strive to move up the corporate ladder but are unable to get out of the sales manager position due to external hires. Stop... sweeping issues with managers under the rug and confront them without causing retaliation that leads into the lower management/associate to quit.

Ulta Beauty2019-11-11
  5. "Great college job, not a career"

Current Employee - Prestige Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee discount, benefits, fun atmosphere

Cons

Catty coworkers, overworked, nonexistent social life, stressful

Advice to Management

Brand training is laughable so may want to consider hiring people who actually know about cosmetics and skincare, inventory control is subpar at best so high amounts of theft result is major inventory inaccuracy which lead to a headache of a BOPIS system, culture is not a part of store audit which I had a transgender associate who left because she was constantly misgendered by two of the managers, if one wants to... move up in the company it requires a fair amount of brown-nosing I should know I attempted four times, managers responsibilities are not shared well and leads to poor accountability and teamwork

Ulta Beauty2019-11-06
  6. "Loved it"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounts, and brand discounts on top of employee discount

Cons

I loved the Hawaii store I worked at. I was part of their opening team, however when I transferred to a different location (mainland) management worked better with their favorite employees.

Ulta Beauty2019-10-18
  7. "Do NOT work here you are unappreciated and unrecognized."

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee discount is great 25% off the store and 50% off salon and services. You can get additional percentage off certain brands sometimes. Register is easy to use. You can wear jeans in October..but only if you donate $10. Most people are very friendly. You get 15 minute breaks that are under 5 hours. Gratis (free product(s) will be awarded to employees who watch videos on WorkJam (company app) or who... reach the credit card goal. Sometimes there will be free snacks in the break area. There’s a microwave if you need it. My GM is very nice.

Cons

You can do great with customer service and selling, but if you're not reaching the store's quota for signing people up for credit cards and loyalty, you're a failure to management. They grade you based on that. Managers put pressure on you to be perfect when people from corporate come in. You don’t get recognized for doing hard work. You don’t get a lot of hours. Shifts are usually 3-4 hours 2 days a week 3 if... I’m lucky! The managers are the only ones who are full time everyone else is part-time. You are encouraged to not label returns as damages if they look unused by the customer so they can be put back on the sales floor. DISGUSTING! If a hair brush is returned and no hair is in it they want you to put it back on the shelf. And same thing with nail polish etc. Very unsanitary. Managers walk around talking to other employees or managers and doing nothing to look busy or having conversations that are not work related rather than assisting customers or helping cashiers when needed. No one will acknowledge that you did something right or good unless it is in reference to a number of credit cards or loyalty sign ups. There’s really no room to grow at Ulta unless you want to be a manager. Cashiers will not get hours unless your the lead cashier who gets the most data capture, credit cards, and loyalty sign ups. Other cashiers will try to “steal” customers from your line so they can get sign ups before you. Again there’s that pressure from management. Employees can’t use any coupons. You don’t get raises for being there over a year. People who have been at Ulta since store set do not get any praise or promotion. You don’t get any attention unless you’re amazing at makeup, a suck up, obnoxiously friendly or drop dead beautiful. Managers have to authorize returns over a certain amount and they complain they have to put their numbers in so they tell us make sure the item is returnable if it’s not used encourage the guest to keep it... You are required to wear makeup to work. Minimum of mascara. If you ask for more hours managers will tell you there’s not enough to go around because there’s too many people but yet they will hire more people. You’re judged based on performance by numbers but not by physical work. You can clean the whole store by hand and no one will care. It’s all about those cards. One day I sold the highest $ amount transaction of the day if not the month. This single transaction was $2000+ and not one single person from management seemed to care or appreciate my hard work selling this guest products. 30 minute breaks are only available to those who work over 5+ hours. And when you work less than 5 hours a 15 minute break is what you get but you never end up taking it because managers tell you to stay on the floor. Managers will be MIA when you need them. Or need someone else to help you work the cash wrap when the line gets long. Managers will not cash out customers and will leave you and walk away to tell the tea to the other managers and employees. They tell you can’t buy products from Sephora because it’s conflict of interest. Well if we don’t sell a specific product how is that our fault?? Your job will be low key threatened if you do not reach goals with loyalty and data capture.

Advice to Management

Be better humans beings not robots corporate trained you to be to only care about the ones who get the numbers!! Give employees hours when they ask for it.

Ulta Beauty2019-10-29

"Where do I start... This place is ridiculous."

Former Employee - Retail Operations Manager

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Gratis, employee discount, honestly that is all I can think of.

Cons

Scheduling, (lack of) training, no support from HR or upper management, rude customers, favoritism.

Advice to Management

Actually take the time to listen to your employees. This company boasts an "open door policy" yet you will be ignored when you voice your concerns. HR will ignore you but will tell DM and GM about your complaints which results in retailiation.

Ulta Beauty2019-09-24
  9. "Great Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Lead Cashier

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

Employee discount is a good plus

Cons

I have nothing negative to say

Ulta Beauty2019-09-11
  10. "I love my company"

Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Bradley, IL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun environment, fast paced, gratis, employee discount

Cons

Many snobby or rude customers

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work :)

Ulta Beauty2019-09-11