Ulta Beauty "fun environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

Ulta Beauty Employee Reviews about "fun environment"

Updated Sep 23, 2019

3.2
Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon
1,994 Ratings
Cons

Reviews about "fun environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "I love my company"

Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Bradley, IL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun environment, fast paced, gratis, employee discount

Cons

Many snobby or rude customers

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work :)

Ulta Beauty2019-09-11

"Opportunities for growth"

Former Employee - Benefit Arch Expert

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun environment, they teach you product knowledge, during trainings sometimes you'll get gratis, one on one hands on experience with makeup and skincare

Cons

Poor management and management turnover

Ulta Beauty2019-09-23

"Truly great company to work for"

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Chester, VA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing dental, vision and medical benefits Because it's in a retail store it's a great way to get clients in the salon as a stylist Bonuses Upto 70% commission plus tips every night Paid time off Diverse culture Full service salon and professional retail right in store from multiple brands Great work/personal life balance, management in store, upper management, benefits, continued advanced education, team... work, goal oriented, employee discounts as well as extra employee discounts every so often. Able to meet with higher people in the company every so often and vendors with top prestige brands. In store events always creating a fun environment. The vibe is very positive and everyone acts as a team. Great collab of artists. Endless opportunities to grow within the company.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about working with Ulta. I am always supported and appreciated. I would just say you must be people oriented and have great customer service and patience as it is retail

Ulta Beauty2019-09-06
  4. "I love working for Ulta!!"

Current Employee - Salon Manager/Master Hair Stylist in Gloucester, VA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay, work-life balance, benefits, hours, education, vacation time, healthy and professional atmosphere. You will feel part of the team and heard from upper management. Your voice counts!!! It's an all inclusive company that accepts everyone's individuality, no judgement nor discrimination. There is always room fy advancement. If you like structure, helping people, and being in a fun environment, Ulta is for... you!

Cons

None at the moment! I am very pleased with this company.

Ulta Beauty2019-08-24

"Great starting job to get into the beauty industry"

Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Tualatin, OR

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun environment, gratis, lots of things to do, good management, flexibility

Cons

Standard pay, rude customers, sometimes low hours depending on your performance

Ulta Beauty2019-08-15

"Great if you are a brown-noser"

Former Employee - Hairstylist in Mansfield, TX

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, lots of clientele, always something to do, never boring, fun environment, lots of growth, room for advancement

Cons

You have to be a suck up, this company does not like anyone who asks questions, salon managers never stay, high turn over rate

Advice to Management

Treat your loyal employees better, stop picking favorites, GMs need to stop having managers do their dirty work.

Ulta Beauty2019-08-23

"Could be so much better than it is"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun environment. Great coworkers. People passionate about helping people feel good about themselves. Loyal customers. Company that stays current.

Cons

HR and upper management do NOT help employees. They look out for each other and even if an entire store of employees is having sue-able issues with management, they just offer to transfer the employee instead of removing the issue. Management can be great, but only depending on your store. No room to grow. As a salon employee, I’m not even allowed to work extra shifts on the retail side of the store if they need... help with shipment, as it counts against salon hours. That would be a huge benefit to the team if they changed that. The point system is absolute G A R B A G E. If you show up at 10:06 instead of 10:05 you get a half a point, sometimes even if it’s an “excused” lateness (which comes back to store management not being fair). As if the point system theory wasn’t bad enough, you CAN’T EVEN WORK BACK YOUR POINTS. So if you come in early to help, cover someone shift to help, noneeeeee of that makes any difference and won’t work off any points. If you have a point system, where is the room for people to improve themselves? You’re only punishing employees instead of working with them on striving to be better. OH, and you can’t even clock in early. So if your shift starts at 10 and it’s 9:54, you can’t clock in and have to wait till at least 9:55. As a salon employee, this isn’t even enough time to set up for clients and get situated into your day. So, there’s literally 0 incentive to show up early. Again, if you have a point system but don’t allow people to clock in early if they come in early to beat traffic, you’re only punishing them. A lot of “retail” vs “salon” atmosphere from mostly management and not even employees. If a salon employee wants to help retail and learn more products to help sell by attending retail classes, they shouldn’t be discouraged to do so because it’s “retail only”, yet in the same breath told we are a “team”. That’s not how to create a cohesive unit. I understand as a business you have to abide by certain things, but some of the corporate rules seem to go against everything the company stands for. Wanting to grow as a hair stylist in Ulta can feel like a joke. I can legally do lash extensions in my state due to my licensing in Cosmo, yet ULTA requires certification, BUT WON’T PAY FOR IT. So you have to pay an extra $1500-$2000 to get a certificate in something you may already know how to do, JUST to grow yourself AND your store. Hogwash. This used to be my favorite job when I first started, and right now the only thing keeping me is to keep my clients happy.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like you’re in high school. You are supposed to be a positive, supportive leader. Acting like your employees are beneath you and treating them just as a workhorse won’t make people want to stay. Especially if you’re paying retail employees minimum wage and expecting open availability. Some managers act like the whole store is against them in some big conspiracy, instead of just looking inward and maybe... trying to just become a better manager. All of your good employees will leave you unless you step up. Instead of complaining you keep having to hire new people, look at why you’re good ones don’t want to stay.

Ulta Beauty2019-08-22
  8. "No growth"

Former Employee - Salon Coordinator in Louisville, KY

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

love the discount, fun environment

Cons

low pay with no raises

Ulta Beauty2019-08-14
  9. "It’s cool but not always worth it"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Towson, MD

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

Gratis Flexible hours Fun environment

Cons

Bad pay, Lots of responsibilities, No promotions

Advice to Management

I’d say that more people should be promoted that have already been working for the company. A.k.a. promote already employed beauty advisors to prestige beauty advisors or cashiers to lead cashiers. Instead they seem to look for outside people to bring in for these positions when the beauty advisors could and would love that promotion/recognition.

Ulta Beauty2019-08-09
  10. "Love my Ulta family"

Current Employee - Skin Therapist

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great like-minded people in a fun environment

Cons

I'm only there very part time so I don't always know everyone

Ulta Beauty2019-07-08