Ultimate Medical Academy "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Ultimate Medical Academy Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Feb 14, 2019

3.4
Ultimate Medical Academy CEO Thomas Rametta
Thomas Rametta
Pros
  • "Great job with good pay and benefits(in 33 reviews)

• "UMA has a unique collaborative work environment(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • "Headsets (current headsets do not cancel the noise) - CS sounds too much like a call center(in 29 reviews)

• "You have upper management making sexual advances to male and female alike(in 20 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Admin"

Current Employee - Administrative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Medical Academy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Provides Training to help you grow. Rewards your hard work. Easy to work with upper management.

Cons

Outgrowing Bldg. Need to expand.

Advice to Management

Just keep the open door policy and listening.

Ultimate Medical Academy2018-03-13

"Don't believe the hype"

Current Employee - Career Services Advisor

I have been working at Ultimate Medical Academy full-time

Pros

Good pay, hours aren't terrble, can be fun if your on the right teams, lots of events during the holidays. Great as an in-between careers job. Bonus structure is a little better but still not great.

Cons

Upper management acts like they care, they only really care about the top advisors and there is a lot of favoritism. Some of the goals they set are a bit much and slowly but surely a lot of the companies that you contact to find jobs for your graduates don't want anything to do with UMA. They've just hired some new Senior Directors from the outside so don't get your hopes too high if you want to grow here either,... it's clear that they have a "type" when it comes to promoting as well. You can work your butt off but in the end your job there depends on convincing someone to take a $11 a hour job after they've spent $10,000-20,000 on a so called degree here.

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees, not just the top advisors. Promote more from within and maybe have some training for your managers, directors and the new senior directors on how to better intersect with "All" of your employees.

Ultimate Medical Academy2019-02-08
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Horrible-Stay far away"

Former Employee - Alumni Relations in Tampa, FL

I worked at Ultimate Medical Academy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My friends, my friends, my friends

Cons

Favoritism abounds, promises not kept, bringing on people that make more than the people that were at 'cap' and give them bonuses after telling the experienced people that they dont qualify for it. Management mainly only cares for themselves and the bottom line which was getting people hired and placed. You have upper management making sexual advances to male and female alike.

Advice to Management

Nearly all the senior management needs to be fired. Human resources does not seem to care.

Ultimate Medical Academy2019-02-15
  5. "It's a job"

I have been working at Ultimate Medical Academy for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary, benefits, stability, friendly people in most departments

Cons

Employees are reckless in the parking garage and there are no other options for parking. Disorganized and clueless upper management in certain departments. They make decisions by the seat of their pants. They collect data but do not make changes accordingly. All employees are treated like high school kids despite education and experience of the individual. You have no freedom or privacy- Everything is monitored... and evaluated: Police at the entrance to the building, card swipe for every door, cameras everywhere, phones tapped. Feels like a prison. There is no where to sit outside of your cubicle.

Ultimate Medical Academy2018-12-24

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Performance Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Ultimate Medical Academy full-time for less than a year

Pros

The CSA’s that you have the privilege of managing.

Cons

Where to start, favoritism if your not part of the boys club or the k force club your an outsider. There is inconsistent messaging, senior management is completely disconnected from the reality of the environment of career services. You have a SR director who is constantly making inappropriate comments, having relationships with graduates as well as managers, go to HR to complain that’s a waste of time they are in... the pockets of all upper management and use retaliation to come up with false claims. If your a man in the organization beware the favorite thing of the women in the organization is to claim sexual harassment to get you fired. I went to HR to file a complaint about the culture and things going on, I come back from vacation to an allegation that I was never a part of, get suspended and then terminated mind you I had never had a complaint about me, never been written up but exactly two weeks after going to HR with a colleague we were both let go for allegations. I would stay far away from UMA. They also change their bonus structure to prevent paying money owed to the CSA’s. Many of us former employees are in the process of pursuing legal avenues.

Advice to Management

Get rid of everyone in upper management and make the board aware of the issues going on. My attorney will make sure the board is well aware of the issues going on in this organization

Ultimate Medical Academy2019-01-13

"Run..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Ultimate Medical Academy full-time

Pros

Pay... great coworkers..the grads. Other than that absolutely nothing.

Cons

Let's begin with that fact that the only thing they care about is numbers. Even the graduates that pay for the schooling are nothing but a number. The whole placement thing is a joke. Don't get me wrong some graduates get placed in a wonderful position... but if ABHES knew really knew about half these joke placements the school would be shut down. Gainful employment what a joke. Heaven forbid the grad is in a rural... area where the jobs are almost non-existent and your expected to call an employer every week until they ask to be put on a DNC list because they've told you a million times they have no jobs. Managers lie and get away with it with HR to get people fired. This year we lost three really wonderful people and managers want to guilt their employees for going to the funeral. Some to the point of being in tears because management are the furthest thing from understanding. Managers can talk to their team any type of way especially if they are being chewed up by their upper management. You have deceased people in your population, DNCs, refusals and people with medical conditions in your population and are expected to place them or they are factored into your number of graduates you are supposed to place even if they refuse assistance and when you ask for workable grads you get looked at like you are speaking a foreign language. And dont even get me started about favoritism among teams... and growth ha! They make it almost impossible to transfer out of departments.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees.. they are who get the job done. Re-evaluate your directors in place.

Ultimate Medical Academy2018-10-26

"Best Company in Tampa Bay"

Current Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Medical Academy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great commitment in creating the best Company in Tampa, Upper management are always there to assist you in anyway possible, their doors are always open. Can't imagine working for any other Co. Awesome atmosphere! Bring your positive mental attitude.. they will teach you everything else.

Cons

The only problems are the ones you create for yourself.

Advice to Management

Continue on the track you are on, I like where we are heading!

Ultimate Medical Academy2018-03-02

"Do Not Work Here"

Former Employee - Career Services Advisor in Tampa, FL

I worked at Ultimate Medical Academy full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only pro is that when a mass amount of people are fired, usually upper management will cater a lunch or breakfast the next day.

Cons

Very competitive environment. Very cut throat. My director once told me a dog could do my job better than I could. VERY HIGH TURNOVER. Don’t expect to be there longer for 2 months if you do not meet your “sales goal”. Your managers and directors harasses you daily, and it ruins the office morale. There is constant micromanaging.

Advice to Management

They need to realize that we are helping graduates find employment not selling a product, there’s other variables into play.

Ultimate Medical Academy2018-04-03

"Poor Management, Culture, Colleagues, and More!"

Former Employee - Career Services Advisor in Tampa, FL

I worked at Ultimate Medical Academy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is pretty great, and raises were given every three months. Training team was great. Security and cafeteria staff were friendly. Bonuses were available if you excelled and got jobs for multiple graduates.

Cons

Some basic cons: Parking is annoying, especially in the morning. Building location is next to Raymond James Stadium so traffic can become extremely poor. Dress code is mandatory business professional on Mondays, business casual the rest of the week. Bathrooms are small for the number of people working in one building. Major cons: The job is essentially a cold-call sales position. You have metrics to fulfill each... day and each month. Your entire goal is to find job opportunities for recent graduates of UMA. However, there are few employers for each region. Many employers already know of UMA and do not work with them, as they owned by a larger corporation or have constantly been harassed by other UMA employees. Graduates are typically unmotivated to find opportunities themselves, or have constraints that prevent them from being hired (e.g. prior convicts, drug problems, health issues, lack of transportation, unwillingness to be trained/listen to advice, find the position "beneath" their talents ). Again, there are a few bright people who are excellent and WANT to find an opportunity. Some areas are so rural that there are maybe one medical facility within 20-30 miles. It makes it impossible for you to keep your job as they basically set you up to fail. The management is horrendous, with extreme lack of vision and micromanagement. You will have managers constantly watching your every move and making sure your metrics are made. Your breaks are set and timed, as well as your lunches. The management team has one goal: to make a quota of graduates to keep their accreditation and appease the CEO/upper-management. Managers will allow employees to constantly harass graduates and employers in order to find opportunities and "place" their graduates. Management plays favorites, and if you're not a part of the "clique," you will not get the same treatment. They lie to make money, plain and simple. Some colleagues are aggressive and will seek to undermine you in many ways in order to meet their quota and keep their jobs. Your "leads," or employers to call, will be likely called by colleagues, leaving you with little to work with in terms of opportunities and metrics. They will lie to managers to do so. The environment is cutthroat and people WILL undermine and vulture your graduates/leads to save their own jobs. Some The environment is also loud and boisterous. People shout, cheer, and make noise whenever they are able to place a graduate or get a hire. This, at a call center, is obviously problematic. You will have times you need to put someone on hold due to the fact that others are screaming in your vicinity. Sometimes, this causes you to lose out on opportunities. Police have been called to settle fights and gather information about former employees for their crimes. Again, the turnover rate is so high that they let ANYONE work for them. Recently, 60% of the entire floor was let go. Management does not care about you as the turnover rate is extremely high, which is why the pay is good. Their main goal is to place graduates in job opportunities, not help their employees. Be wary of the "positive" reviews you see on here. They are likely padding their reviews so their rating does not tank. The hours are not flexible, especially for those employees with children. Benefits are also extremely expensive, and those with families should seek other opportunities. You also accrue days off with no sick time available or vacation days from the start. TL;DR: Do not work for this company. You are worth more than this.

Advice to Management

Nothing. This is a sinking ship and you know it.

Ultimate Medical Academy2018-03-09

", "The most draining, mentally exhausting, and flat out worst job I've ever had.""

Career Services Advisor in Tampa, FL

I worked at Ultimate Medical Academy for more than 3 years

Pros

There are no good things I can say about working there.

Cons

UMA has the absolute worst working environment I have ever seen. I was there for 4 years ( Career Services ) and hated every minute of it. When I was able to secure a better job elsewhere, I left, on my own terms. I actually took a 2 dollar pay cut and it was the best decision of my adult life. UMA = Micro management at its finest. The even have an acronym employees use for UMA ( Ultimately Moving Around ). They... will herd you like cattle in the guise of "Huddles or "Hard Hat Huddles". really "pep rally style" meetings very reminiscent of Jim Jones and the peoples temple of Jonestown with people singing, dancing, chanting, all the while praising top performers, UMA, and its values. Managers force you to participate in these huddles ( up to 5 per day ) whether you like it or not. You are monitored , tracked, and hounded for numbers from the second you clock in , to the time you clock out. Managers walk the floor looking over your shoulder with a laptop, brow beating for dials, interviews, hires, and placements. It's Non-stop. UMA uses a point system for tardiness and absences, keep in mind they do not offer sick days like most reputable companies. Only paid time off or unpaid time off. If you accumulate a certain amount of points within a month you get verbal, written, and final warnings all leading to eventual termination. You also can get points added to your file if you are late coming back from 15 min breaks, and your 1hr lunch break. UMA's directives, quotas, and policies change by the minute. Middle management are clueless and un-qualified to hold any position in higher education let alone management positions. My last Director worked at Aarons rent to own before getting hired as a manager at Ultimate Medical Academy. Go figure. UMA also adheres to a high turnover policy. I have seen hundreds fired during my 4 yrs. there. Most employees either quit or resign soon after completing training. You are required to hit quotas of 3 to 5 graduate job placements a month. If you consistently hit your monthly quota, they will increase the amount you are required to achieve or put you in un-workable territories to see what they can squeeze out of you. If the well runs dry and you miss your quota 3 months in a row, you are up for termination. There is no job security whatsoever. Even Managers and top performers worry about their jobs. A typical worked day involves music blaring in the background, people screaming at the top of their lungs, chanting, rapping, singing songs all while you are on the phone with a Doctor or Medical Office Manager trying to secure a job interviews/Hires for UMA's un-qualified and under trained graduates. I cant tell you how many times Decision makers I had on the phone would say "What is all that noise in the background???" we would be advised to tell them we celebrate our grads getting hired but ,the response from employers would be usually negative. Very un-professional work environment. I also witnessed a disturbing trend where upper management at UMA would promote people to Mid level management positions, only for them to be demoted after a year or so and put back on the phones as regular reps. In conclusion, I would highly recommend NOT working for Ultimate Medical Academy. It truly was, "The most draining, mentally exhausting, and flat out worst job I've ever had.

Advice to Management

Revamp the entire structure of day to day operations.

Ultimate Medical Academy2017-12-21