Ultimate Medical Academy "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

Thomas Rametta

"UMAmazing!"

Current Employee - Student Finance

I have been working at Ultimate Medical Academy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Encouraging and engaging work environment! I love my job at UMA! Would recommend to anyone looking for a fun, energetic, fast pasted work environment!

Cons

The job doesn't have any cons!

Ultimate Medical Academy2018-02-07

"Crazy performance expectations"

Former Employee - Learner Services Advisor in Tampa, FL

I worked at Ultimate Medical Academy full-time for more than a year

Pros

UMA has a fun work environment. They frequently play games, have competitions, and reward with happy hours. I loved all of my co-workers and most of my bosses.

Cons

This is such a hard job, and at the time I was there it was not worth the pay. I felt more like a stalker than an advisor. They encourage you to TRIPLE-DIAL students over and over again, and you do it because your performance is measured by if they talk to you on the phone and if they stay in school. Yes, you are held responsible for if a grown adult stays in school. No matter how many times you call them, if they decide to leave, it's over.

Advice to Management

Stick to your performance metrics, don't constantly change them. Triple-dialing people is ANNOYING.

Ultimate Medical Academy2018-02-12

"Fine starter job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Ultimate Medical Academy full-time for more than a year

Pros

They pay fairly well. It can be a fun environment at times, and there are some members of management that are truly there to do the right thing.

Cons

Unfortunately, some individuals move up through the ranks with no training, coaching or guidance on the right way to lead (not just the UMA way). Middle management is often kept in the dark and end up looking clueless due to the fact that most senior management doesn't have it together and their communication is sub par at best. There is quite a bit of untapped talent on the advisor level but management us usually too busy putting out their own fires that they have no time to develop their people. In the end, all parties suffer, including the grads. It's mostly an unprofessional work environment, where people with little to no previous management experience are running a large operation, and advisors are left to act however they like, as long as they hit their numbers. Members of management act out and are rewarded by getting promoted.

Advice to Management

Take the advice of people you bring in from the outside. The UMA way isn't always best. Stop promoting poor behavior and slow down. People are the most important thing. Your numbers will come if you do the right thing.

Ultimate Medical Academy2017-12-23

", "The most draining, mentally exhausting, and flat out worst job I've ever had.""

Career Services Advisor in Tampa, FL

I worked at Ultimate Medical Academy for more than 3 years

Pros

There are no good things I can say about working there.

Cons

UMA has the absolute worst working environment I have ever seen. I was there for 4 years ( Career Services ) and hated every minute of it. When I was able to secure a better job elsewhere, I left, on my own terms. I actually took a 2 dollar pay cut and it was the best decision of my adult life. UMA = Micro management at its finest. The even have an acronym employees use for UMA ( Ultimately Moving Around ). They will herd you like cattle in the guise of "Huddles or "Hard Hat Huddles". really "pep rally style" meetings very reminiscent of Jim Jones and the peoples temple of Jonestown with people singing, dancing, chanting, all the while praising top performers, UMA, and its values. Managers force you to participate in these huddles ( up to 5 per day ) whether you like it or not. You are monitored , tracked, and hounded for numbers from the second you clock in , to the time you clock out. Managers walk the floor looking over your shoulder with a laptop, brow beating for dials, interviews, hires, and placements. It's Non-stop. UMA uses a point system for tardiness and absences, keep in mind they do not offer sick days like most reputable companies. Only paid time off or unpaid time off. If you accumulate a certain amount of points within a month you get verbal, written, and final warnings all leading to eventual termination. You also can get points added to your file if you are late coming back from 15 min breaks, and your 1hr lunch break. UMA's directives, quotas, and policies change by the minute. Middle management are clueless and un-qualified to hold any position in higher education let alone management positions. My last Director worked at Aarons rent to own before getting hired as a manager at Ultimate Medical Academy. Go figure. UMA also adheres to a high turnover policy. I have seen hundreds fired during my 4 yrs. there. Most employees either quit or resign soon after completing training. You are required to hit quotas of 3 to 5 graduate job placements a month. If you consistently hit your monthly quota, they will increase the amount you are required to achieve or put you in un-workable territories to see what they can squeeze out of you. If the well runs dry and you miss your quota 3 months in a row, you are up for termination. There is no job security whatsoever. Even Managers and top performers worry about their jobs. A typical worked day involves music blaring in the background, people screaming at the top of their lungs, chanting, rapping, singing songs all while you are on the phone with a Doctor or Medical Office Manager trying to secure a job interviews/Hires for UMA's un-qualified and under trained graduates. I cant tell you how many times Decision makers I had on the phone would say "What is all that noise in the background???" we would be advised to tell them we celebrate our grads getting hired but ,the response from employers would be usually negative. Very un-professional work environment. I also witnessed a disturbing trend where upper management at UMA would promote people to Mid level management positions, only for them to be demoted after a year or so and put back on the phones as regular reps. In conclusion, I would highly recommend NOT working for Ultimate Medical Academy. It truly was, "The most draining, mentally exhausting, and flat out worst job I've ever had.

Advice to Management

Revamp the entire structure of day to day operations.

Ultimate Medical Academy2017-12-21

"Admissions Representative"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Medical Academy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Professional and friendly work environment

Cons

Continue to improve the marketing strategy for the campus.

Advice to Management

None

Ultimate Medical Academy2017-09-20
  6. "Career Services Advisor"

Career Services Advisor in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Medical Academy for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment with abundance of resources readily available

Cons

some managers tend to try to micromanage you

Ultimate Medical Academy2017-04-20

"Feedback"

Current Employee - Student Affairs in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Medical Academy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Team work environment. Growth opportunities. Company get-togethers. Leaders / Company heads show face in each department. On going coaching and professional/personal training.

Cons

Personally - I live an hour away. Get home to my 6yr son after 7pm each day. My starting pay gets in the way of pay increases in current and other departments because of budgeting and/or I'm at an above pay then others. I feel being here as a hard worker these past 5 yrs and earning where my pay is set, should not get in the way of pay increases.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in making UMA a great place to work and grow into a career. Keep the ending result as better paths for students to have a better future. Maybe start a monthly rating in departments where only a few employees get to rate; so you are always getting different views on what is going on in each department, with co-workers, management, etc. Thank you requesting my feedback.

Ultimate Medical Academy2017-03-29
  8. "VERY DESIRABLE WORK PLACE"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative

I have been working at Ultimate Medical Academy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

UMA's work environment is very fun and friendly! If you enjoy a challenge, you'll enjoy UMA.

Cons

I would like more opportunities for advancement.

Ultimate Medical Academy2017-03-29

"Career Service Advisor II"

Current Employee - Career Services Advisor in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Medical Academy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Plenty of growth opportunities for advancement within management. Competitive pay. Friendly work environment with perks of incentives.

Cons

There aren't any cons at the moment.

Advice to Management

At times it can be too many Indians, and not enough Chiefs.

Ultimate Medical Academy2017-01-25

"Manager of Strategic Inititiatives"

Current Employee - Strategy Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Medical Academy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Organization as a whole embraces innovative thinking, always keeping the student's best interests in mind. A great deal of exposure to senior leadership and a healthy work environment. Tons of smart, driven people here too

Cons

The cubicle / floor plan for my floor leaves much to be desired

Advice to Management

Keep recruiting top tier talent

Ultimate Medical Academy2017-01-19