Ultimate Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 10, 2018

4.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "There are no cons that I can think of" (in 89 reviews)

• "Struggles with work life balance" (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"SDM"

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time

Pros

Amazing company. It's the only payroll / HCM organization that truly cares about the customer - and while it's not easy - the organization has maintained an amazing culture all in an effort to provide the best support to the customer. I love that.

Cons

I honestly have no cons

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing- make the main thing the main thing!

2. "Best company ever"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best benefits on the planet. Culture is amazing. This is an absolutely incredible company.

Cons

None. Some would say they have high expectations and expect you to work extremely hard. But they make that very clear in the interview process.

3. "Customer Success Associate Temp"

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time

Pros

Great Work Environment for Everyone

Cons

None so far, will update

"Cloud Engineer"

Current Employee - Cloud Engineer in Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Cloud Engineer in Weston, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the best company I've ever worked for. The culture is the real deal. The benefits are out of this world. Scott Scherr is the best CEO I've ever worked for. I feel like I could walk into his office and tell him what I think and he'd really listen. That's hard to believe with over 5,000 employees.

Cons

Sometimes my own managers get in the way and don't seem to share the vision of leadership. This can cause some conflict.

Also, in my specific role, work/life balance is a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep reiterating the vision and make sure that message is making it all the way to the individual contributors.

5. "Payroll Specialist"

Pros

People first; enough said! This company is filled with wonderful people.

Cons

None I can’t think of any

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing.

6. "Great Company and Benefits"

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time

Pros

Great Company and Benefits, emphasis on keeping employees happy.

Cons

Changes happen slowly, and with an emphasis on keeping employees happy, leadership is sometimes afraid to make necessary changes if it leads to making employees unhappy.

7. "Will you please stop with the major, terrible decisions!"

Current Employee - Systems Consultant
    Current Employee - Systems Consultant

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great compensation and benefits, great coworkers.

Cons

Ultimate Software has become very top-heavy with managers, and there are too many people making decisions, who are not listening to the rank-and-file. A couple of really terrible, major decisions in 2018 ("unification" of Global Delivery, and the move to Gmail) have made this place a completely different experience than when I started. Work/life balance has become a joke.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people in the field about what's good for customers and employees. The success will follow. Too many managers and not enough "regular" workers.

"Lost it’s way"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ultimate Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, special treatment if you work in Weston office

Cons

Stagnant pay. Work/life balance is non existent and management is incompetent.

Stagnant pay- you do not get a raise for changing to a more difficult job. For example, if you go from a support role to a consulting role, there is no pay increase even though an outside hire would’ve been paid much more. Only going to a ‘management’ position is considered a promotion. This is company policy.

Work/Life: get ready to work 50+hrs a week if your in services. Either that or live with the stress of a massive backlog and angry customers.

Unlimited PTO is just a political gimmick. The incentive structure is framed to limit the amount of time you take off.

Advice to Management

This company was amazing 5 years ago but it has not aged well as it has rapidly grown. The people are not the main thing anymore...it’s all about profit.

"Great Benefits, Horrible Cost to Personal Life"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of good benefits. You are provided health and vision insurance and a UPTO (Unlimited* PTO) plan. Every coworker I've had here is a great person and fun to be around.

Cons

Work life balance is really bad. If it is important to you to be able to leave work at work and live your life outside of work, do yourself a favor and forget about this company now.

They are growing faster than they can handle, in my opinion, and so workloads right now are absolutely horrible for us employees supporting the customers, basically the whole company outside of management.

Advice to Management

Aggressive growth is good, the company is growing and it's exciting. However, you have truly forgotten about "People First" as you describe it to us. Employees > Clients > Shareholders has very transparently become Clients > Shareholders > Employees.

We are forced to overwork and bend over backwards for our clients at the cost of our personal lives and sanity during the workday with a larger workload than we can handle. All of this to make the shareholders happy because we are performing less than desired during this period of growth, but we don't have the structure to support client's in certain departments at the pace they require. We are understaffed and the team is struggling to change and adapt (Global Delivery)

"Customer Success Specialist"

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time

Pros

3.5 Stars

Pay, Culture, Co-Workers, Location, Training, Food

Cons

This specific role is a bit of bait & switch. They lure you in with the bells and whistles but if you can look beyond the smokescreen you'll see that you are doing the job of someone who is more tenured. They try to train complete noobies into a payroll/human resource job as a means to avoid paying an experienced person. Genius move for the company, but a waste of time for people who have 0 interest in the human resources/payroll industry.

Advice to Management

Explicitly state in the Customer Success role that at least 6 months of payroll experience is required or highly preferred.