Ultimate Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Ultimate Software Reviews

Updated May 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Virtual working is great for work-life balance (in 58 reviews)

• Ultimate does a great job of "walking the talk" - Everything we do is about putting people first (in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • There are honestly no cons with this company (in 69 reviews)

• However there is no work/life balance (in 24 reviews)

1. "How can you put a feeling into words?"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Weston, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the moment you become an Ultipeep, you are already part of the family! They make you feel so welcome even before you walk through the door. Their onboarding is by far the best I have ever experienced. The New Hire Ultimization is simply incredible and all the top executives, from CEO down to managers take the time to come out and introduce you to the company, the philosophy, the WHY, and the culture. You walk away feeling even more blessed. Every day I wake up and wonder if this is all a dream. I hope I can make them proud because I truly feel that this is the last stop for me in my career path. I want to retire from Ultimate!

Cons

I'm sure every company has something "wrong" but it is really hard to find that at Ultimate. You are either a fit or you aren't. So far, no CONS at all.

Advice to Management

After experiencing 20 years at a company where the environment just kept declining and the employees felt more and more disconnected with the culture, you guys are doing an amazing job! Keep up the amazing work. If it doesn't start from the top, it's hard for the bottom to follow. With your dedication to your People, your company will continue to grow and prosper.

Ultimate Software Response

May 3, 2017 – talent acquisition specialist

Thank you so much for your feedback! We really appreciate it :) Glad to hear you enjoyed your onboarding experience!

2. "Customer Success Specialist/Rapid Response"

Current Employee - Customer Success Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* The CEO Scott Scherr is REAL and INTOUCH with his employees.
    *World Class Working Environment with latest technology and Phenomenal Decor
    *NO DRESS CODE - I wear jeans and sneakers EVERYDAY
    *Awesome & Fun Co-Workers
    *100% Employer Paid Medical, Dental, Vision for you and your family !!!
    *401K - 40% Employer Match (NO COMPANY DOES THIS)
    *VP's, Managers REALLY CARE & Make Themselves Available to All Employees
    *We Work Hard & Play HARDER

Cons

I have none. There are no Cons.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Managers, VP's are all ROCK STARS that make me love this place more!

Ultimate Software Response

May 3, 2017 – talent acquisition specialist

Thank you so much for your feedback! We really appreciate it :) Glad to hear you enjoy our laid back culture!

3. "LOVE IT!"

Current Employee - Payroll Tax Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Payroll Tax Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company to work for. They really care about the employees and culture of the company. You have to work here to get it!!

Cons

I don't any cons. I love my job. No cons just repeating to meet the 20 word minimum. No cons.

5. "Best company I've ever worked for hands down"

Current Employee - NTR in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - NTR in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everything. Treatment, benefits, working from home, bonuses, consistent pay raises and plenty of opportunity for growth.

Cons

They feed you so much free food you'll gain a few lbs. if you're not careful with how much you eat.

Advice to Management

Great job!

"Great Place For College Graduates"

Current Employee - Rising Star in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Rising Star in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Opportunity to Work From Home, Friendly People, Cool Office, Great Training!

Cons

Commute to work. Parking

"Had a great run but things have changed. Not the company it once was."

Former Employee - Vice President in Weston, FL
    Former Employee - Vice President in Weston, FL

I worked at Ultimate Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, culture, people, facilities are all great. Unfortunately thats not enough.

Cons

The core product is dated, anything new is bought or partnered. Management doesn't listen to constructive feedback and you are told to "get in the ultimate bubble" or you are told by the Chief People officer, "If you don't like it here, get the hell out, we don't need you." That quote was from an employee meeting. Not every people first. Too many insecure and immature leaders. Was once a great company, now just living off the past. Very improper compensation practices by senior management. Too much looking the other way when improper things take place. According to the earnings calls the last two quarters, they are struggling to hit numbers. Beginning of the end I'm afraid.

Advice to Management

Sell the company as soon as you can before everyones stock tanks and they are left with nothing but swag.

8. "Truly UltiAwesomeness All The Way"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Weston, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great company, great culture! I enjoy high-visibility projects and, at least in my experience, you will not be disappointed.

I am used to working a lot, so please proceed with caution regarding my positivism towards Ultimate's work/life balance as I don't mind having none :)

Different roles are located at different places, but as a developer you can expect to be in a beautiful building full of onsite-perks. Remote is also a possibility for some roles.

Ultimate will pay for 100% of the health-insurance premium for you, your partner and up to two kids (regardless of your role). There is also 40% 401k match with no cap (only limit is how much the IRS will let you put).

There are many-other-benefits, but I would like to save the last paragraph for my favorite one: RSUs. Ultimate will make any employee an owner. If you are in the CA bay area working for a big tech-giant, this will be normal business for your, but here in SE Florida it is pretty cool.

Cons

I am a picky employee and I would find something even if I worked in heaven, so Ultimate is no exception...

People might be moved to a different team often (think project got cancelled). If you are working on something Ultimate needed yesterday, you might not be allowed to take part of some of the cool-company events like 48hrs (think hackathon) or going to sponsored-conferences (think QCon). A big one for me, bonuses for developers do not seem to have a formal schema (so you might or might not get something). Also, reviews are only once a year (in the past I have often gotten multiple raises in a year).

Advice to Management

I am not a finance/budget guy, but it would be cool to get RSUs more often (as in every year).

"Best Employer Ever Equates to Best HCM Software Company Ever"

Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ultimate Software is the best place I've ever worked. I've spent 20 years in the industry in a sales capacity. What I love most about Ultimate is how they treat their employees at every level of the organization. The CEO is approachable and truly cares about the wellbeing and success of each and every employee. And that sentiment is expressed throughout the ranks of his leadership.

Having previously worked for one of the biggest and most respected technology companies in the industry, I see the difference in how this People-First approach with its employees spills over to its engagement with its customers. We are all empowered to take care of the customer. It's simple, hire the best and brightest, treat them with love and respect (might sound a little corny, but true), and empower them to delight the customer. This is presumably why we enjoy a ~98% Customer Retention Rating and an equally impressive ~97% Customer Satisfaction Score. Clearly not perfect, and I'm sure those 2% and 3% keep our leadership wanting to be even better, but it's darn good.

More than money, from a Sales perspective, taking care of my customers and delivering on my promises is much more important than making the big 6-figure paycheck. My word is my honor, especially when it comes to maintaining longevity in a sales career. And the beautiful surprise was that this actually turned out to be an even more profitable opportunity for me and my family than having worked for the other "big guy" with lots of shiny bells and whistles. The uptick was MATERIAL, and I am sleeping well at night knowing there is an ethical approach to doing business. My customers view this relationship as a partnership, and we deliver on that partnership promise.

And of course, the 100% paid-for benefits, the 40% match on the 401k, and more. No wonder my service givers and internal stakeholders collaborate and strive hard to serve their customers. Enough said.

Cons

None really. I've been here ~2 years now and wanted to gain enough experience and first-hand knowledge to post a realistic portrayal that would be meaningful to sales professionals looking for a move, and to others in general.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing. Also, please continue to invest in the product! Mobile. Global. Unified. $150M this year alone is great! You're already doing this!! Just don't let up, please!!!

"Truly Like No Other...."

Current Employee - Technical Business Analyst in Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Business Analyst in Weston, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the few companies out there that really not just talk the talk, but walk the walk; their motto is "People First" is exactly what the company believes in.

They are innovative, agile and empower the employees to make sound decisions on behalf of the company.

Cons

As a growing company there are always bumps in the road and the environment is ever changing. I can say, however, when something comes up, everyone rallies around to get the situation resolved.

Some of the policies, although they support all the employees on a whole, can be viewed as too rigid when unique scenarios occur.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! On a whole, I am so grateful to be working for such a wonderful company!

11. "Excellent benefits, great leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Customer Success in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Customer Success in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ultimate Software (More than a year)

Pros

It has one of the best employee centric cultures. Strong focus on "People First". One of the best 401k match programs and very generous insurance for the entire family.

Cons

Sometimes the vision can seem a little blurry, especially due to legacy products slowing things down. However this is going to get sorted out soon!

Advice to Management

Keep sharpening focus and identify opportunities to find growth within our customer base.