Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical Chief Executive Officer and President Emil D. Kakkis
Emil D. Kakkis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They offer the start of work/life balance" (in 9 reviews)

• "Nice co-workers; passionate teams; good benefits; 2 shutdowns" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lack of transparency for growth and career development" (in 5 reviews)

• "No work life balance and bonus is only annual" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Senior Research Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Novato, CA

I have been working at Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very fair pay and interesting work in a fast paced environment. Allows you to be involved throughout large teams and see your work come to fruition

Cons

If you arent up for fast paced and goal oriented work- may not be the place for you.

2. "UltraCare Liaison"

Current Employee - UltraCare Liaison in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - UltraCare Liaison in Novato, CA

I have been working at Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small culture, phenomenal products, true orphan drug space, wear a lot of hats which will gain extensive experience in new areas.

Cons

Limited resources to do things,but the company is growing so I expect additional changes to come.

Advice to Management

When there’s meetings that need to be a week, please be mindful and make the content relevant and needed. Majority of the time, these meetings can be done via webx. However, when you want everyone together, at least on Friday get folks out by noon on flights so you can get home by 1030-11pm vs 1-2am. We have all done these meetings many years and we know there isn’t anything left on a Friday that couldn’t have been added to a session a previous day. Heck, we would all rather just stay longer an extra day to finish up and get out early!!!

3. "No HR support for employees and doesn't have resources to support or train new managers"

Former Employee - Regulatory Affairs Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Regulatory Affairs Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Patient-forward, amazing cause, inspiring leadership

Cons

No HR or career development support for employees or managers. I was harassed by my manager verbally in person, individually and in meetings, and in writing over email. I was forced out of the company after only 3 months as there were no resources for her in terms of training to become a better manager or even to catch the incessant harassment, or for me at such a small company. It's a toxic environment, but might depend which group you're in and hopefully has changed 3 years later. This type of situation is common at small companies that are growing quickly--employees who need support become managers despite being under qualified and under supported--however this situation was extreme not only in the harassment but how HR dealt with it on both sides.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to under qualified managers who drive away talent because they don't have the proper support or training to be managers. There's more than one kind of harassment.

"AD/Dir Level"

I have been working at Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical full-time

Pros

The CEO. He is a passionate visionary who has built a wonderful company that drives to provide patients access to medicines for rare diseases. Team relationships are overall very collaborative and people have mutual respect for one another.

Cons

Everything else. This company is top heavy...too many Executive Directors and VPs that don't belong in that position. The problem is further compounded when promotions are granted very liberally in some departments and scarcely in many others. Long-term employees who have worked hard should be rewarded with promotions rather than giving promotions because we want to prevent people from leaving the company. Management...one person who is completely underqualified is the head of PM. He talks much about ownership regarding company initiatives and project-specific deliverables, but delegates much of it and provides no real tangible guidance. I think many believe he is not qualified to sit in his position and he provides no benefit to the company.

Advice to Management

Reward loyal hard-working employees who have stuck through the company through all its ups and downs. Level job matrices and provide more decision-making power to teams as they are the people who drive deliverables/goals for the company.

"Overall good place"

I have been working at Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical full-time

Pros

Good place, benefits, people! Great mission and impacting lives

Cons

Any cons they do try to address and work on.

6. "New Employee"

I have been working at Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ultragenyx employees and senior leadership demonstrate their care for patient outcomes each and every day. They truly believe in the company mission and take each opportunity to remind us about the larger goal, rather than daily grind.

Opportunities for career growth exist and are easy to obtain if you are willing to identify the opportunity yourself and advocate for your advancement.

Cons

Lack of structure in work environment, lack of transparency for promotion track and career advancement. Employees must be their own best advocates, as management structure is nacent.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work at the Senior Leadership level. For lower level management, begin operating at a higher level to show employees they are taken care of and supported.

"No work/life balance"

I worked at Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical (More than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers; passionate teams; good benefits; 2 shutdowns

Cons

If you have a life outside of your workplace and actually enjoy it, don't join Ultragenyx, unless you'd like to work 24/7!

Advice to Management

Stop stretching your employees until they break. Listen when employees raise concerns.

"Ultracare Liaison"

I have been working at Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical full-time

Pros

Sadly, there are no positives to this company

Cons

Traditional boys club. Minorities and women will have a tough time surviving there. Lie about compensation package and keep changing the target goals. Very shady leadership and lots of lawsuits going. The government will catch up with their shady practices. No work life balance and bonus is only annual. Work to death and no recognition from leadership. Terrible place to be in.

Advice to Management

Diversify your field team. Be open about target goals and hire someone with experience to lead the field team and stop changing the target goals weekly or even daily.

9. "Enjoyable Intern Experience"

I worked at Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical part-time

Pros

Learned a lot and was very involved and felt like a full time employee at times

Cons

Pharma moves kind of slow in general in my opinion, so more a con of the industry, but other than that none!

10. "Fast Growing Patient-focused Company"

I have been working at Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical full-time

Pros

Growing company with a strong belief in helping patients with unmet need.

Cons

Top-heavy management and persons with limited experience placed in leadership positions. Leads to redundancy in research, and ultimately hinders advancement of treatment to patients.