Uncle Bob's Self Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
David L. Rogers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There's always someone to call for help (in 3 reviews)

• And in my case, a great deal of support from my Store Manager, Area Manager, and those who work at sister stores (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • And little bit of diversity in upper management (in 7 reviews)

• Low pay for super perfectionist high expectations (in 5 reviews)

1. "Store Manager"

I worked at Uncle Bob's Self Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Customers, strong team members and supportive area manager.

Cons

Must work some weekends and if short staffed your on the clock.

Advice to Management

None

2. "Good company to work for unless you become pregnant or disabled"

I worked at Uncle Bob's Self Storage full-time

Pros

Very secure and stable work, Home Office is always available to managers to help with anything HR, or customer related.
    Constantly updating software and equipment to make things easier and more accurate for management team. There is very little that a manager can do that an associate manager cannot do. An awesome leg-up for anybody wanting to work in storage or property management

Cons

Sometimes the work can be very dirty. very little hours for on-site maintenance for most stores, so most of the maintenance fell in the hands of management staff. Most of the time it was easy, routine things such as cigarette butts, and stray trash on property, keeping hallways clean, and replacing lightbulbs/lightstrings/door ropes in empty storage units. Occasionally, you will get an abandoned sofa, or mattress that needs to be taken to an overflow space or dumpster as there was a zero tolerance for items in empty units on management visits, and for audits. You will also find yourself cleaning up a dead rat here and there. In many stores, you will work alone most of the time, so these little hinderances can set back your entire day if a customer is left waiting too long. Home Office is also very out-of-touch with field workers. Often requiring us to do things that just aren't reasonable with the amount of time and labor we are allowed, and will not usually make reasonable accommodations, unless under extreme circumstances (flooding, fire etc.) Also, accommodations will not be made for you if you get pregnant. After 7 years of faithful work with them I was almost fired by HR for not being able to fulfill my job requirements- including lifting over 20 lbs and standing on my feet for 8 hours. I was very lucky that I worked closely with lower management, and they protected my position, but if they had not cared about me as much as they did, I certainly would've lost my job. Also, don't become disabled, or have any major surgery that would put you out of work for over 6 weeks. You may not have a job to come back to.

Advice to Management

I am hopeful that certain policies have changed, particularly the pregnancy and disability policies. Upper management always impressed me with their reasonableness, and their humbleness, but HR was, overall, very cold, and uncaring. I would suggest valuing your field workers more and creating policies that made them feel valued.

3. "little benefit"

I have been working at Uncle Bob's Self Storage full-time

Pros

Lots of time to yourself.

Cons

Don't expect raises, asking gets you ignored

Advice to Management

care about your employees more

4. "This should not be your first choice!"

Current Employee - Associate Store Manager
    Current Employee - Associate Store Manager

I have been working at Uncle Bob's Self Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get major holidays off and average vacation time. It's a good place to work if you like workings alone most of the time and are good under pressure.

Cons

Depending on your region, sister stores may not be very helpful with coverage. I was forced to work at two stores because my area manager wanted a bonus for saving on payroll; now both stores are falling behind in our numbers and he blames us for it. Upper management has no concern for employees at a store level, can be bullies (yes, this is illegal), and are unforgiving on even the smallest of mistakes. HR will do nothing about bad employees, so don't worry if you are one to always call out last minute or don't actually know how to perform your required duties. Complaints are usually ignored.

Advice to Management

Have some compassion for the people doing the dirty work for the company. There is only so much that can be done in a day. And stop being stingy on wages. Also, come up with a solid set of policies and stick to it! Stop constantly changing policy and expecting us to instantly know it.

5. "It was a learning experience"

Former Employee - Associate Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Uncle Bob's Self Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a relaxing job some days, if you like working alone or with just one other than this is perfect for you. The stores close at 6, (4 on sundays) and youre off major holidays.

Cons

Constantly updating policies and procedures, it is some times hard to keep up. You deal with mostly angry customers, and being by yourself with little to no security it can feel dangerous. The security cameras are a joke, you cant read license plates with those cameras incase of a break in which do happen frequently at some stores. Auditors should come just once a year. Last but not least the pay is nowhere near good, paid so little to do so much.

Advice to Management

Improve your security system, give your employees better pay and have off sundays.

6. "Associate Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Uncle Bob's Self Storage part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady Hours, Easy Work

Cons

This location doubled in size right before I decided to leave but the pay was going to be the same.......

7. "Worst job ever"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Uncle Bob's Self Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any. Don't work here

Cons

Pay. Inadequate facilities. Horrible management.

Advice to Management

listen to your managers

8. "Former employee"

Former Employee - Leasing Agent
    Former Employee - Leasing Agent

I worked at Uncle Bob's Self Storage full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Offers great benefits for full time employees. No more than 3 people working in the office. Great if you don't like large crowds

Cons

The work schedule is 9 to 6 , mon - sat. The downfall is the sun schedule. 12-4 pm. Not much time available for worship of Sunday afternoon dinners with family

Advice to Management

If you insist on being open on sun, maybe the hours could be 8 to 12., to allow your team to spend quality time with family on Sunday .

9. "Fun, busy job!"

Former Employee - Associate/Assistant Manager in Elgin, SC
    Former Employee - Associate/Assistant Manager in Elgin, SC

I worked at Uncle Bob's Self Storage part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always something to do! Fast paced! If you like multiple duties this is the job for you!

Cons

Assistant managers only get part time hours.

Advice to Management

Allow your assitant manager to be full time.

"A good place to start."

Former Employee - ASM in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - ASM in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Uncle Bob's Self Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job can be fun, depending on the Store Manager.
    Easy job once you get past the antiquated processes
    Customer interactions mostly positive and provides and interesting work environment
    Enjoyable most of the time if you don't mind working inside and outside

Cons

Low pay
    Work alone ALOT. Especially during busy times
    ASM's have no authority , You will always be the bad guy to the customer when the Manager folds to every complaint.
    ALOT of Paper processes and file cabinets. Really?
    Run down properties with no investment back in them,
    Scary and rude customers at times,

Advice to Management

Modernize and invest back into the properties if you want to lead the industry.
    Be more fair with weekend work by implementing rotation. At least on Sundays.
    Staff busy stores better.