Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Kevin Downing

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Master Technician"

I have been working at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great service, very flexible

Cons

the management quality varies between stores, some are really good and some are awful

2. "Horible hours, low pay, and seams like you never get a day off, due to short staff to the entire company."

Pros

The only good thing was my store manager he put in the work and bought are team once an a while food.

Cons

While you might think an oil shop is prepared to do your oil changes your sadly wrong this company does not supply you with safety glasses nor a proper working safery station in case your eyes get chemicals. I as a UT basicly a worker dont belive that upper management gives a rats butt what benefits the workers tryeng to make them money. I just want to add this why do you keep your darn doors open for people all year long if you barely get any customers... think about your team.

Advice to Management

You guys started from the bottom dont forget where you guys started.

3. "Customer Service Advisor"

I worked at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe part-time

Pros

Great co-workers! The day goes by fast, you stay busy which is good, and the customers really appreciate when you help them, so it's easy to build a good clientele.

Cons

Management doesn't seem to care much about your time. If you need a certain day off, there is no guarantee you will get it if you ask. In fact, more often than not you won't get it off.

4. "Not the best not the worst"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not stuck inside all day always meeting new people lots of energy can be a super fun job with the right people

Cons

The weather pay is honestly the pits corporate are always there hiding to see if you mess up and literally stalk at other businesses

Advice to Management

Take it easy on your employees you don't pay them enough

5. "Friendly place around"

I worked at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe full-time

Pros

Great People, friendly work environment, very through training received for every aspect of the job, advancement opportunities galore. You want to move up, they'll give you a step by step plan to fallow and you'll get there.

Cons

You'll get dirty. No if and or buts about it. Your first week you'll come home smelling like an oil shop. They provide and clean uniforms, which they take out of everyone's paycheck. Only 13.50 biweekly, but it's still kinda sad.

6. "The company treats their managers very well. Everybody who isn't a store manager or higher gets crapped on."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Royal Oak, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Royal Oak, MI

I have been working at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good experience. Training is a strong focus. Much to learn.

Cons

Negative work environment. Pressured to sell. Extreme temperatures with little to no breaks.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better.

7. "Not a bad start for getting your feet wet in the auto field."

Former Employee - Lube Technician
    Former Employee - Lube Technician

I worked at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good high school job and to learn car maintenance.

Cons

Low wages, random hours, and you have to work at different locations sometimes

8. "Stay away unless you have no other options"

Former Employee - Oil Tech in Waterford Township, MI
    Former Employee - Oil Tech in Waterford Township, MI

Pros

It is a company and will hire virtually anyone. They train, maybe? Not much. My store manager was cool and I'm glad he found something better too.

Cons

Promises of great pay, benefits, etc are exaggerated. Pay is low, especially for managers. Corporate entity is constantly paranoid of employees to the point of hiring people to park across the street from locations to make sure no one (including the store manager) is goofing off. Scoldings come if you don't accept customers rebuttal of their extremely overpriced services. I mean, come on. They charge $40 minimum for a basic $15 oil change with crap oil. It's not uncommon for someone with an 85 Escort to be charged $75 to drive out of their for an oil change and new turn signal bulbs.

No facial hair allowed. Not sure why they are stuck in the 1950's on this one, but it was creepy. They would sent you home if you had a neatly trimmed beard or any stubble on your face. OR they would make you go in to the bathroom and give you a razor to shave with, then charge you for the razor.

No AC in the offices means 100+ temps in the summer. One of my coworkers brought his own fan in to try and cool the place down. No lunches or breaks at all (illegal in my state), even when you work a 10+ hour shift.

Too much more to put down here, just stay away. They will entice you with promises of management, but its barely above a ponzi scheme. I worked there for 3 months in 2009, not 2011. People I kept in contact with say its still just as bad; worse.

Don't work here, don't shop here. Stay far away.

Advice to Management

Your owner is a jerk to run a company this way. Shame in him, and his house in Florida. Let someone else buy the company and fire everyone at the top.

Give better pay and/or working conditions.

9. "Oil Lube Tech"

Former Employee - Oil Tech in Waterford, MI
    Former Employee - Oil Tech in Waterford, MI

I worked at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to grow in the company; shorter Sunday hours

Cons

Big promises of growth with in the company, but salaries stay low. Corporate spy's on employees with individuals that will park across the street from the location and take memo's of everything the employees do. When it's slow, expect to be sent out to the road to wave at people- a little degrading. Facial hair is not tolerated. Low pay- my store manager made $32k a year with experience and the assistant manager made $9 an hour before benefits. If customers don't want to upgrade to the $99 oil change, that's your fault for not guilting them into it enough.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees a little more and have dedicated sales people, don't have unqualified individuals try to sell and chastise them for not being able to do so.

10. "Promotes from within"

I worked at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe full-time

Pros

Team driven, provides constant training, rewards those who meet or exceed quotas.

Cons

Upper management promotes us vs them mentality. Lacks direction when most urgently needed.

Advice to Management

When management needs help, provide it!