Uncommon Goods Reviews

Updated May 1, 2020

3.4
Uncommon Goods Founder & CEO David Bolotsky (no image)
David Bolotsky
Pros
  • "There are monthly themed company lunches and snacks, and plenty of clubs you can join by interest to get to know your coworkers better(in 7 reviews)

• "That was while I worked there from November to January as a temp seasonal employee)(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Instead of finding new candidates to fill these roles their jobs are thrusted upon existing team members with no additional compensation given to them(in 6 reviews)

• "No full time offers for seasonal employees(in 5 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for"

5.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer

I worked at Uncommon Goods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Professional environment, lots of opportunities to learn and grow

Cons

No work-life balance during holiday season

Uncommon Goods2019-07-09

July 11, 2019Head of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback on your experience working at UncommonGoods and your contribution to our success. We are thrilled that you were able to develop and grow professionally with us. That is our hope for each team member. We know the holiday season is a busy one and we are a company that is always learning. We always look to continuously improve and create a culture of work-life balance, innovation, and accountability.

2. "Awesome Place"

4.0

I worked at Uncommon Goods part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team, awesome management no complaints

Cons

none that I can think of besides it was a seasonal position

Uncommon Goods2020-05-02

May 4, 2020Head of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your compliments of our team! Many team members seek to work with us long term, and our business needs call for both seasonal and full-time employment opportunities. We continue to explore ways to improve our team member experience, so thanks again for your feedback, and thank you for your contributions to Uncommon Goods!

3. "Great company with room to grow"

Former Employee - Writer in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Uncommon Goods full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunities, great staff, interesting products and a commitment to keep customers happy

Cons

Hours shift and training is quick

Uncommon Goods2020-02-01

February 1, 2020Head of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences working with us this holiday season and to let us know how we are doing. It’s great to hear that you had a positive experience filled with opportunities, great team members, and our uncommon products. We appreciate your contributions to our company and our commitment to our customers. We value your feedback on how we can improve. Wishing you all the best in your next role!

"Steer clear of the Merchandising Department"

I worked at Uncommon Goods

Pros

Good discount off of all items

Cons

- work-life balance is non-existent when you’re on the Merch team. - The head of the merchandising department and upper management are rude, patronizing, and unwilling to listen to opinions that differ from their own. If you’re not part of the group of obvious favorites any opinions you have don’t matter. - turnover is insane. In the past year 7 members of the buying team have quit. Instead of finding new candidates to fill these roles their jobs are thrusted upon existing team members with no additional compensation given to them. - no room for growth - pay is way below what you would get somewhere else, this is made even more ridiculous by the fact that most people on the buying team are doing the job of at least two people. - a ton of tension between creative and merchandising -unwilling to make the changes necessary to attract new customers - the office is in the middle of nowhere and very out of the way

Uncommon Goods2020-02-29

March 9, 2020Head of Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback, even when it’s tough to hear. We’ve been working on how to address many of the points you’ve made and here are some examples: In partnership with the Human Resources department, we’ve hosted workshops to gather feedback on how our merchants communicate with one another, manage their responsibilities and review the expectations for each role in the department. We also had an in-depth session where everyone on the team openly shared their concerns, then strategized on how to improve the overall department dynamics. We then aligned as a department and instituted immediate and longer-term changes that have addressed the feedback that the team shared with the head of the department. We are committed to continuously evolving our Merchandising department as well as all other departments with the goal of fostering a culture of innovation and collaboration. We are proud of all the work our Merchants have done, and the feedback they are encouraged to share, to keep our company Uncommon strong. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and thanks for the work you’ve done on our behalf!

"Losing it's relevance"

Former Employee - A-side Team Member in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Uncommon Goods full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are still some smart, dedicated people here. Company was one of the first to take a stand on being a better business, which is admirable but they have been left in the dust at this point.

Cons

This company is slowly falling victim to the changing retail landscape and becoming increasingly irrelevant. The products are no longer unique (or are so unique, they are comically useless and wasteful for even existing), the company's sustainability focus has become standard in retail, they refuse to offer free shipping, etc etc. The result is flailing sales and a major identity crisis that has created many problems and team members are leaving in droves (and not being replaced, which is a bad sign if you ask me). Every team is operating as a separate entity with no clue as to what is going on elsewhere and managers are basically robots trying to save their own jobs. Senior leadership has gone in a strange, ruthless corporate direction obsessing over KPIs and repackaging old tired ideas as exciting new initiatives that will turn the business around. I was particularly put off by the new merchandising leader, who was apparently fired from her previous job and seems to have a bunch of people under her spell. The CEO has lost touch and reminds me of the type who pine for the "good old days" while begrudgingly making the tiniest, slowest steps to change with the times. It's sad to see a company that used to be so creative, unique and anti-corporate change so much. I hope they get their groove back, but I sincerely doubt it will be possible with its current leadership at the helm.

Uncommon Goods2020-01-03

January 7, 2020Head of Human Resources

The challenges you cite are real. UncommonGoods has been a pioneer in sustainability and while we’re glad to see others following suit, we are continuing to raise the bar; we upped our starting wage to $17 for warehouse workers in 2019, we’re working to eliminate plastic from our operation and continuing our ban on selling leather, feathers, and fur. Having product that is both uncommon and good is a greater challenge every year and one that we are excited to continue to take on. We are investing more and more into developing proprietary products and that segment is the fastest-growing piece of our business. We began offering free shipping in 2018 and have nearly 50,000 members in our Uncommon Perks program. We expect to more than double this program in 2020. Since we founded the company in 1999, we have had many bright, motivated team members make meaningful contributions to our success. Many have been here for more than 5 years. Some of that group have chosen to move on, some are still here and are continuing to grow and, in other cases, we have made the difficult decision to part ways with some individuals. We are committed to treating our team members fairly while holding each of us to high standards of performance. We value your contributions and your feedback and wish you good luck in your future.

6. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Uncommon Goods full-time for less than a year

Pros

Plenty of hours Healthy work environment

Cons

Getting help from superiors is sometimes difficult

Uncommon Goods2019-11-07

November 7, 2019Head of Human Resources

Thank you so much for your contributions as a Customer Service Representative at UncommonGoods and for sharing your feedback. We use this feedback to improve our team member experience and appreciate your experience regarding getting help from supervisors. This is something we will look into to ensure our team members continue to be supported on an ongoing basis.

"Run from this company"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Uncommon Goods full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are still a few good people left there

Cons

Soooo many. This used to be a fun, energetic up and coming place to work, as they grew, they have become obsessed with metrics and KPI's and having to ask permission to go tho the bathroom . Profits have evaporated over the last few years, they are becoming a dinosaur quickly. Company practices ageism, though they will tell you differently. Underpays across the board in every department, great talented people stay awhile and then bolt to get paid market value elsewhere. Preaches family and values, though you'll be out if you miss time to take care of a loved one. For a ten year anniversary you will get a framed "Intersection of Love" picture (one of their items they sell), it has you name and theirs and dates when you started and the current year pointing onward. Zero comp for a decade of service, the picture costs the a few buck ,and the picture is creepy as well. Folks on the "A" side will do their best to avoid eye contact with you if you work in the warehouse or Customer Service. Managers are either clueless or clueless/manic depressive prone to outbursts at a pin-drop.

Uncommon Goods2019-11-14

November 27, 2019Head of Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to share your candid feedback about UncommonGoods. We agree that our company has invaluable talent that makes us who we are and your time with us is also valued and appreciated. We are disappointed that we didn’t meet your expectations as a company. Thank you for your time on our team and we hope to impress you with our efforts in the future.

8. "Fun place to work"

Former Employee - Stock Keeping Lead

I worked at Uncommon Goods full-time

Pros

Pay, company lunches, gift cards

Cons

Schedule and not enough hours.

Uncommon Goods2019-06-23

June 23, 2019Head of Human Resources

Thank you very much for your feedback and for your contributions at UncommonGoods. We are pleased to hear that you thought our pay was positive as well as the company lunches and gift cards. We apologize that your schedule and hours were not conducive. We have implemented some positive changes recently with a new scheduling tool, allowing for more flexible schedules. We work hard to give our team members hours aligned with the business forecast and volume. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors and hope you will consider applying for our seasonal team opportunities right around the corner!

9. "Great place to work"

5.0

I have been working at Uncommon Goods full-time

Pros

Great environment for learning, flexible work from home policy, good benefits, above average pay

Cons

Location of the office - pretty far from everything

Uncommon Goods2019-05-10

June 11, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to express your great experience here at UncommonGoods. We are glad to hear you value working here and are taking advantage of the many continuous learning opportunities and benefits we offer for our team members.

10. "Fine place"

Former Employee - CSW in New York, NY

I worked at Uncommon Goods part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people, good hours and east

Cons

Boring, no opportunity for advancement

Uncommon Goods2019-05-19

June 11, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate the sentiments about our team members, but sorry to hear that you did not have an opportunity to take advantage of one of our learning initiatives, or advance in your career here at UncommonGoods. Creating learning and growth opportunities are becoming a priority of ours as we improve and grow, and we will strive to make sure they are more available to our team members.

Found 91 reviews