Uncommon Schools Reviews

Updated May 30, 2020

3.6
Uncommon Schools CEO Brett Peiser
Brett Peiser
Pros
  • "There are a lot of professional development opportunities(in 67 reviews)

• "BELIEF IN THE MISSION- People often believe that the sole mission of Uncommon Schools is to close the achievement gap(in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing School with a Great Mission"

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Camden, NJ

I have been working at Uncommon Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Uncommon Schools is an incredible place to work if you believe in closing the achievement gap! Our schools have a strong mission of closing the achievement gap and providing high-quality instruction to every student, and everyone I have worked with deeply believes in this mission and works hard day in and day out for our scholars. As teachers, we receive professional development and coaching throughout the school year. It is a great place to work to improve as a teacher. We are constantly given feedback and opportunities to become stronger teachers. All of our lesson plans and materials are provided for us, so our focus is on executing the lessons rather than spending hour preparing them. The biggest pro, though, is the community of the school. All of the teachers work together and are always willing to help anyone who may need it. And of course, everything we do is for our amazing scholars! It is amazing to see them grow throughout the school year and years to come.

Cons

The work day may be longer than at other schools, but everything we do is with purpose and we have preps throughout the day to let us get our tasks done.

Uncommon Schools2020-05-02
  2. "Great School and Work Environment"

Current Employee - Math Teacher

I have been working at Uncommon Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love working at Troy Prep because of the expert coaching for teachers and wonderful families that we serve.

Cons

Troy Prep employees need to be a strong time and task manager.

Uncommon Schools2020-05-19
  3. "Time consuming but worth it"

4.0
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher and Grade Level Instructional Leader in Newark, NJ

I worked at Uncommon Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great support system Tools to succeed PD to grow your skills Great for new teachers to develop Receive feedback often Kids are getting an amazing education

Cons

Long hours No work/life balance Workload isn’t always manageable Leadership plays favorites

Uncommon Schools2020-05-29
  4. "A decent charter school network"

Current Employee - Apprentice Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Uncommon Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Pay, Great Co-workers. Students are nice depending on the school you are in.

Cons

Long Hours, Lot of Work, There is a huge focus on test results.

Uncommon Schools2020-05-28
  5. "Results oriented mission-driven organization."

I worked at Uncommon Schools full-time

Pros

Like-minded colleagues, strive for continuous improvement

Cons

long hours and high workload make work/life balance challenging

Uncommon Schools2020-05-27
  6. "One Mission One Team Organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, NY

I have been working at Uncommon Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best organization that I have eve worked for. You will be supported with tools to do y our job and the autonomy to implement what works for you as long as you get results. Team members support each other and genuinely want to see each other succeed. It is truely a One Mission One Team organization.

Cons

If you are not willing to be challenged or are not open to feedback, you will probably not like working here.

Uncommon Schools2020-05-21
  7. "Troy Prep"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Uncommon Schools full-time

Pros

I love working at Troy Prep because my fellow teachers are motivated to provide students with high quality educated and I receive a great deal of support from leadership at my school.

Cons

I love all aspects of my job.

Uncommon Schools2020-05-19
  8. "Opportunities for aspiring teachers"

Current Employee - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Uncommon Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Uncommon provides aspiring teachers the financial support and guidance to becoming a certified New York state teacher. Uncommon provides scripted lesson plans that allow new teachers to focus on the art and strategies of teaching. They provide a lot of professional development trainings for behavior management, content knowledge, and overall teaching strategies. Uncommon has the means to provide teachers and students with an abundance of school supplies to enrich learning. Lastly, Uncommon is socially justice driven to change the narrative of urban education.

Cons

The work hours are very long. Although we are provided with preps, it can often feel overwhelming completing education/certification requirements in addition to teaching responsibilities and school tasks. Because we are given lesson plans, we have to teach lessons we may not like or agree with. It can be challenging to teach to the array of different learners with this strict teaching environment.

Uncommon Schools2020-05-20
  9. "Uncommon & Strong Work Ethic"

Current Employee - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Uncommon Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been working for Uncommon Schools for five years now and have always felt that Uncommon is a strong mission aligned school that believes in all of their students and staff members. Working at Leadership Prep Brownsville Elementary (LPBV) has allowed me to grow personally and professionally. The staff members and leadership team work very well together and collaborate daily to ensure that all of our students are getting the best education and resources possible. Throughout my time at LPBV, I have seen many great things and the investment that the school has on the Brownsville families and community is phenomenal. Uncommon truly works hard to ensure that students and staff members are happy and are getting everything that they need to be successful in life. The staff members truly work as a team and hold one another accountable to ensure that everyone is doing their job well and focusing on the students. LPBV works very hard to ensure that students come first and that our goals are always aligned to ensure that our students become successful in their educational careers.

Cons

It is a lot of work, and you truly must be dedicated to education and understanding of what it means to close the achievement gap. We work extremely hard daily and we have high expectations of our students and staff members, and often times it can become stressful. But it is all about how you handle stress and how you deal with multiple things having to be done at once. You must have great time management and work ethic skills to succeed, and everyone is always there to help you become the best educator possible.

Uncommon Schools2020-05-18
  10. "Structured Work Environment"

Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at Uncommon Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Clear vision, high pay, structure/guidance

Cons

Micromanagement high, no differentiation for veteran teachers, bring work home

Uncommon Schools2020-05-18