Uncommon Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Brett Peiser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Top notch professional development (in 34 reviews)

• Staff culture is great-everyone I work with is positive, hard-working, supportive, and driven by our mission to close the achievement gap (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is very tough (in 36 reviews)

• Lack of transparency, long hours (in 36 reviews)

1. "teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in New York, NY

I worked at Uncommon Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

amazingly positive experience with kids, feel like your making a difference

Cons

a little cookie cutter approach for me..one size doesn't always fit all. But overall awesome atmosphere compared to where these kids would be in school.

"Great Culture"

I worked at Uncommon Schools full-time

Pros

I worked for 3 years at Uncommon and I loved the mission and the people I worked with daily. They are very passionate about the work they do on behalf of students.

Cons

I would say it is a bit on work life balance however the schools have worked to improve this over time.

Advice to Management

I would say continue to engage teachers and align on direction they want to see the school continue to go down.

"Teacher"

I have been working at Uncommon Schools full-time

Pros

Their mission is to close the achievement gap and ensure that every child graduates college! How can you not want to work for an organization with a mission such as this one.
    Benefits are good
    They really follow through with their transparency policy. They really let you know exactly what you're getting into.
    You'll never feel alone. There is constant observation, and professional development all year round.

Cons

The con's really depend on what kind of person you are. This job is fast paced and can be nerve wracking. Must be able to take constructive criticism well. Must have high energy!

Advice to Management

None

4. "great place to work"

I worked at Uncommon Schools part-time

Pros

great staff. fun environment. very professional

Cons

enrichment time is inconsistent. more athletics options are needed

"Exchange club"

Former Employee - AmeriCorps in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps in Memphis, TN

I worked at Uncommon Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefiting and rewarding accomplishments, enjoyed working there, good hours and family oriented work place. Coworkers are friendly and helpful in all areas.

Cons

I had no complaints about exchange club. I felt welcome in the company. I wish they had more permanent positions.

Advice to Management

It's all good

"Supportive environment but overwhelming amount of work"

I have been working at Uncommon Schools full-time

Pros

Teacher training and culture support

Cons

Tremendous amount of work, to the point that it takes over nearly hour of the day. The adherence to the prescribed system often stifles individual expression of teaching that may be more beneficial.

"Do not take job here"

Former Employee - Lead Kindergarten Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Kindergarten Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Uncommon Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is nice. The kids are sweet as all kids are.

Cons

At this organization you will be completely overworked. My contract was supposed to be from Monday to Friday from 7am to 5pm. I worked Sunday through Friday 6am to 6pm at the least. Easily could put in an 80 hour week. Not given time for a lunch break and deadlines were not sustainable. Management wants it their way or no way. Micromanagement to the highest and a hostile work environment. You can be giving your everything to the kids and it will never be enough for them. No time to prepare for your lessons and most nights I fell asleep on my work. The most unprofessional environment I have seen. Absolutely no work life home life balance. Sundays an email is sent out at 8 AM and you must create a report from by email by 12PM. You work all day Sunday.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and make sure there is a work life home life balance. Do not talk down to your employees and be honest about the amount of work from the start. Make sure employees are able to sustain all you are asking while being able to live a healthy life.

"Service Manager"

Pros

The position suited my personality as a leader and I loved being responsible for my departments success. Thought I would finally be able to get my ideas out there for the betterment of the company.

Cons

My boss was a terrible leader and continued to micro manage everyone, he thought he was the best and only one who knew how to do anything.

Advice to Management

Keep a close eye on your other branches because there is a reason so many people in management positions leave one for another. There is a common denominator there and you should see that a problem exists.

"Passionate Place, Exhausted Teachers"

I have been working at Uncommon Schools full-time

Pros

Mission based work and the staff is very passionate about urban education.There is great collaboration with lesson plans and resources.

Cons

Work hours are extremely long. There is no system for substitute teachers, so teachers are always covering for one another which eliminates from your prep time.

Advice to Management

Continue to build tailored development for teachers. Look into ways to have less work hours and cut out professional development that is not beneficial.

10. "Wonderful idea"

Pros

They make it possible for so many kids to go to school and succeed. Would recommend highly for job seekers.

Cons

Can't think of any of the top of my head. Maybe with time something may crawl up, but at this time nothing.