UncommonGoods Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
David Bolotsky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Seasonal employees are a pleasure to work with (in 6 reviews)

• They strongly believe in work hard play hard the company always give company lunches and serve good food (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No full time offers for seasonal employees (in 4 reviews)

• This spurs collaboration and keeps customer service close to the customer-facing departments (in 3 reviews)

1. "Seasonal position"

I worked at UncommonGoods full-time

Pros

They are a B corporation company, who genuinely care about their employees and clients.
    Once you work here you won't want to leave

Cons

The customer service position is seasonal - August till December

"Great potential"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at UncommonGoods part-time (More than a year)

Pros

No uniforms, very free-spirit welcoming environment.

Cons

They promote the worse personalities. Some of the sneakiest people, you'll find a couple Judases.

Advice to Management

If your customer service representatives are the forefronts of the company, be sure to get their wisdom on the new people you decide to promote.

Jun 13, 2017 – Coordinator

Thank you for your review. I'm always happy to read about team members enjoying our work environment and attesting to the welcoming atmosphere we have here. I'm concerned about your cons and advice... More

"Not at all a bad place to work"

I worked at UncommonGoods full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment, little perks like free fruit, hot chocolate & marshmallows, free food if working late nights & holidays. (That was while I worked there from November to January as a temp seasonal employee).

Cons

Like any other place, there's a mix of supervisors that are very helpful and encouraging, and some that aren't.

Advice to Management

Retrain supervisors so that they can improve on the way they handle and speak to the workers to inspire and motivate them, not disparage and belittle them.

Jun 13, 2017 – Coordinator

We value our seasonal team members' contribution to our business and we want to show our appreciation any chance we can. I am glad that you enjoyed a few of our perks for spending time with us last... More

4. "Amazing place to work."

I have been working at UncommonGoods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are smart, collaborative, kind, and wonderfully unique. Everyone cares immensely about the company's mission and works with genuine dedication.

One of my favorite things about the culture is that we rarely outsource and prefer to develop expertise in house, which has resulted in a team of very talented, intelligent individuals who feel full ownership over their roles and are willing to share that knowledge with others. It's a true learning environment that benefits the company as well as our personal career growth as employees.

It's become fashionable for companies to have a social mission and use that as a marketing vehicle, which is ok, but UncommonGoods truly believes in doing the right thing. It's why the company exists and is part of every decision we make. The CEO and leadership team genuinely want to use business as a force for good - whether they get credit for it or not.

Lastly, we're not a startup that relies on investment money, extremely optimistic business plans, and unsustainable promotions. The company operates creatively but with sound business sense and a focus on profitability.

Cons

It's not in the most convenient/fun location and the interview process can be a little intense.

5. "Nice place to work in"

Former Employee - Operation Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Operation Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at UncommonGoods part-time

Pros

paid breaks
    many perks
    B corporation

Cons

Nothing to say, I enjoyed working there!

6. "a good place to work"

I have been working at UncommonGoods full-time

Pros

great people and a growing company, trying to make the world a better place, not just profits.

Cons

location isn't great for everyone but good with N/R.

Apr 28, 2017 – Coordinator

Thank you for your 5 stars (whoaaa, I feel like of like an Uber driver saying that, but it is true all the same). As a current team member, please don't hesitate to spread the word about the ferry... More

7. "CSR Team Leader"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at UncommonGoods part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was ok, staff were great and attentive.

Cons

Building was mad shady, favoritism on race was very bad, some shady employees that just were ill to be around.

Advice to Management

With high end clients calling in, you need a better quality of representatives representing the company- especially on front line. Have a ghetto rep answer your high dollar clients, your going to get unprofessional service.

Apr 28, 2017 – Coordinator

I'm happy to hear that you found our team to be great and attentive. Our location is also pretty great, as The Brooklyn Army Terminal is just 2 years shy of 100 years old and a landmark. It was... More

8. "Check is decent"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at UncommonGoods part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people are easy to work with... make your day go by fast

Cons

The rest of the people makes it so much easier for you to move on to another company.

9. "Seasonal Holiday Help"

Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at UncommonGoods part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great experience. The hiring process was easy. The work was great and the atmosphere was welcoming.

Cons

I applied to work work there again for the 2016 holiday season. I was accepted to come back and filled out all the paperwork. I was told I would be given a call when to come in for orientation but never received a call. I called HR several times over 2 wks and never received a call back.

Advice to Management

If possible return phone calls even if you choose not to hire a person back for what what ever reason.

Apr 28, 2017 – Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. While I'm glad to hear that our simple hiring process, welcoming team, and the duties of your role helped to provide you with an overall great experience, I'd like to... More

"UncommonGoods Really Does Good!"

I worked at UncommonGoods full-time

Pros

I started at UG as an intern, and then was asked to stay on full-time. From my initial interview process to my final day on the team, everyone I came in contact with was genuinely kind, helpful and easy to be around. The company really does care about using their business as a force for good, and is starting to make those long-entrenched beliefs even more public, which I think is great. I never felt uncomfortable talking about any concerns with my manager, and I think that transparency really travels all the way upward at UG.

The company has a bit of a start-up feel even though it's well established. Everyone pitches in where they're needed, especially during the super busy holiday season.

UG works hard to establish a culture that feels fun and welcoming. There are monthly themed company lunches and snacks, and plenty of clubs you can join by interest to get to know your coworkers better.

Cons

The location is not ideal. The nearest subway is about a ten minute walk.

The office itself isn't gorgeous, butttt, they're in the middle of renovations and it looks like there will be a major improvement within the next several months.

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent, continue moving toward making the company's efforts at doing good for others more public.

Anonymous former team member,

It was great having you here and watching you grow (while writing some of the best darn gift guides I've ever feasted my eyes on!). I look forward to seeing you... More