Under Armour Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Under Armour Chairman, President, and CEO Kevin A. Plank
Kevin A. Plank

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Also, the employee discount is great (in 82 reviews)

• I worked as a part time sales associate & we got 50% off which was a great discount and they're extremely flexible with your schedule (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance if you're a FT Manager say goodbye to your personal life (in 38 reviews)

• Poor support from upper management (in 26 reviews)

1. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Rehoboth Beach, DE
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Rehoboth Beach, DE

I worked at Under Armour full-time

Pros

Benefits and discounts that's it

Cons

Unappreciative, unsafe working conditions, does not give you the tools needed to obtain daily goals

Advice to Management

Take care of good employees and appreciate them

"Used to be a fun place to work"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Under Armour full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount 50%, Solid benefit program, 401k, decent paid time off, some great teammates to work along side with. Strong power of the brand.

Cons

Could not agree more with declining support for retail. Payroll drastically cut and poor reporting/tools all the while with unrealistic and unachievable expectations. You basically need to try to do everything yourself. To top of it of they laid off some of the best leaders.

Advice to Management

Cutting payroll and letting top talent go to make the bottom line isn't the answer or good for morale. Stop the spend of connected fitness apps and making your corporate campus bigger and take care of the people that are on the front lines fighting for you everyday. Lacking confidence in new leadership and the direction with are headed.

"Horrendous upper management filled with people who don't know anything about the business"

I have been working at Under Armour full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you live in Maryland, it's the biggest company around.
    For now, a decent company to have on a resume.
    They do a lot for the community and Baltimore.
    Work-Life balance is never an issue, no matter what ANYONE tells you. At 5pm, most of the company has gone home.

Cons

Most people get paid under industry standards, which makes it nearly impossible to recruit talented people.

The athlete roster is literally the only thing that keeps UA relevant because we can't make a cool product to save our lives.

The same problems that were here when I started are here 4 years later.

A lot of people here who have zero experience with building brands and have been learning on the job. This, without a doubt, will keep the company from competing at the highest levels with their biggest competitors. Until UA gets rid of the really boring so-called 'creative directors,' it will always fall flat in comparison to Nike.

Promotions only happen once a year. If it's mid-year, there's a chance you COULD get promoted. But, that rarely ever happens. The company will say, "Oh. We can't promote your mid-level employee at mid-year." And then literally a week later, they send out an announcement that says, "Please congratulate all these VPs who just got promoted!"

The little guys alway get the shaft.

Advice to Management

Those people who helped box product in grandma's basement don't actually know what they're doing in their respective departments. It's not their fault. They were never truly trained. But, because of this, it makes everyones jobs about a thousand times harder.

The recent layoffs should have included so many more people who are just faking their way through.

"Slowly but surely dying out"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Under Armour full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount, good employees, work environment can be fun at times

Cons

- Horrible workload, bad bad bad approach to customer satisfaction. We hardly ever have what the customer wants, so we offer to order it for them. However, it is almost impossible to find the correct product. My manager and I both searched for over 40 minutes for a polo sent to our store that we never received ANY size small in. We couldn't find it on the website, and as such, the customer was annoyed. This happened daily.

- Prestige. The prestige of UA is being constantly eroded as they try to push their obviously failing shoe product line that no one likes. Why? Because we have to copy Nike. That's how business works, isn't it? So UA is now trying to force its way into Kohls, DSW, and everywhere else Nike won't set foot into. Wouldn't be surprised if it became a Walmart brand

- Stock plummeting

- Non-existent work life balance. Open availability is a must, so even when you're not scheduled, we can call you up and harass you into working. Have school? We don't care. Family? Still don't care. Doctors appointment? Not our problem.

Advice to Management

- Either drop the shoe line, or hire some new designers who know what they are doing.
    - Pick what kind of brand you want. You can't have elite sports retailer, and bargain brand.

5. "Disorganized Organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Under Armour full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great group of people to work with on a personal level

Cons

Directors and Managers lack the confidence and knowledge to lead and grow a team

"Great until it is not"

Former Employee - Management in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Management in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Under Armour full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefits, employee discounts, and co-workers

Cons

opportunity, work-life balance, boys club, employee appreciation

Advice to Management

appreciate and value your employees

7. "Probably not for you..."

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Under Armour full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount on overpriced Products

Cons

A very old-school organization that runs like a corner store with managers and their groupies who are rewarded for sub-par performance and vulgar speech.
    They say it's not for everybody and they're right... only a certain type of person that speak and hold themselves a certain way is in... has nothing to do with performance.
    All the really smart people stay quiet and pretend to like/agree with incapable leaders to keep their jobs

Advice to Management

Get some competent people as leaders and not the people that's been there the longest

8. "Under Armour Sucks"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Woodbury, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Woodbury, NY

I have been working at Under Armour (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount is pretty darn good

Cons

Management doesn't train you properly. Customers are always rude. For a retail store they do not accommodate hours like people claim

Advice to Management

suck lesss

9. "Engineer"

I worked at Under Armour full-time

Pros

Bonus, good stepping stone. Talented people tend to leave and go to amazing companies.

Cons

Too many bad people in leadership roles. Too many mediocre people lacking knowledge but maintain good relationships end up in these leadership role. Too many reorgs and new VP's every 6 months. Management get's away with threats and bullying on the call center side and the professional side. Work life balance depends on current manager. Too much jealousy and horrible bonus structure.

10. "Didn't know my employment was terminated"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Under Armour part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount was great and for the most part, or at least during the holiday season, you were never bored- the store was always busy

Cons

Never got proper training, never saw the intro video, didn't care about who got breaks and when, didn't make things clear about employment termination, and communication, communication, communication- with there being so many employees, communication gets lost amongst everyone and being stuck in the middle of miscommunication stinks.

Advice to Management

Communication, communication, communication. One manager says one thing while the other says another. Being a newbie, I had no idea what was going on and was thrown into the firepit my first day...Christmas Eve! (when everyone's buying last minute gifts!) I didn't get a break until my fourth or fifth day working because no one cared when I would go on a break and it wasn't fair to me because I was left alone at the registers with a huge line of people, or if I had help, it was with someone who took forever with one customer. Not to mention, I never got proper training on anything and was expected to know how to do everything from hanging up pants the right way to putting things back in the back room which to this day I've never seen fully- I didn't know that we had two doors to go to the back room until my last day. One manager told me to give a call for my spring break to work a weekend or week or so when I'm back home from going to school. But when I did call back, I was told that my employment was terminated the moment I went back to school. I had no idea. It was a huge disappointment to hear that I don't have a job to go back to when I go home. I, for one, was a hard worker. I worked my tail off everyday for this company and quite frankly, I don't think I deserved the treatment I got. But if there is one bit of advice I could offer Under Armour, especially this location, is please, get better at communicating with your employees.