Under Armour Reviews | Glassdoor

Under Armour Reviews

Updated June 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Also, the employee discount is great (in 81 reviews)

• I worked as a part time sales associate & we got 50% off which was a great discount and they're extremely flexible with your schedule (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a struggle (in 35 reviews)

• upper management turnover leads to instability (in 24 reviews)

1. "Love it here!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Under Armour full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome company culture, good benefits and lots of opportunities to give back to the community.

Cons

Processes change frequently - need to be able to remain flexible and open to change.

2. "Human Resources"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Under Armour full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no limits! If you can dream it then you can make it happen at UA. I've had the opportunity to work on things I never had the chance to be part of at larger/older organizations. I love the high energy and the constant challenges.

Cons

It's an ever changing and evolving organization. Some people don't thrive in that type of environment. You truly have to love and care about the success of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep giving your team the chance to grow and be challenged.

3. "Graphic Designer"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Under Armour full-time

Pros

Unbelievable opportunities at an ever-growing, evolving and game-changing brand that disrupts the marketplace. You'll find that excitement and engagement is always abound and awaiting your input and collaboration no matter your title or seniority. If you love sports and the athletic space you won't find another opportunity like it.

Cons

A young company that is getting very big very quickly and maturing alongside a newer more savy sophisticated consumer. Not everything we do is 100% adopted or victorious and there are some growing pains that go along with that.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what has gotten us to where we are but do it in a way that puts our current employees first. We always want to go out and acquire more, or plant our brand flag in the newest and greatest assets but if we aren't closely monitoring who and what we are investing in, the foundation we built will only crumble with the added weight of work and stories we to continue to add.

4. "Rough Retailer"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Under Armour part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool store environment. A decent 40% employee discount. Fun if you like interaction with a diverse customer culture. You get trained in extensive product knowledge as an associate.

Cons

Cult-like management. They act like camp councilors and treat/talk to the staff like babies. Very controlling over the small things like going on break, and delegating assignments. Certain managers spend the whole day eating long lunches in the office, playing on the computer for hours. Then when they eventually emerge to the sales floor, they are quick to attack a staff member if they don't look constantly busy. The hypocrisy was unreal. The pay is so low, and they force and pressure you to keep wearing and buying the latest UA clothes, that it seems like they are more concerned into making their staff their own customers rather than members. I felt pressured to spend my hard earned money back into the brand to keep up with the UA fashion police.

Advice to Management

UA is in my opinion the best brand period. Now it's time to wipe the slate clean of these Micky Mouse-like condescending managers, and bring in some real leadership.

"Good for now but not for long-term career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Under Armour full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great people on my team and on the teams in my immediate area.
    -Benefits are pretty good except for Vision. Not extensive enough provider coverage.
    -A lot of talent here hungry to make a mark and move the brand forward.
    -Start up/entrepreneurial like atmosphere which can be good and bad. Potential to start something new but with a lot of frustrations along the way.
    -Some great pro athlete sponsorships add clout and brand recognition. Steph Curry, Cam Newton, Misty Copeland...
    -fun water taxi to main HQ in Baltimore
    -Kevin Plank can be very charismatic and energizing.

Cons

-Constant change at the top leadership team. It's instability creates a trickle-down effect.
    -Employee discount: Meh. Not much I would want to wear--apparel has little personality and the materials don't feel nice against the skin; feel cheap. I guess it's fine if you want the giant logo on your chest.
    -Shoes are getting better than the days where they looked really out of style and outlet copies of Nike. Even then I have a hard time finding something I want to pay -50% on.
    -Leadership tends to hire in their likeness (white males). Doesn't lend itself to a lot of diversity.

Advice to Management

-Get some PR training before you make broad, open comments to the public
    -Focus on growing internal talent
    -Stop micro managing and look at the big picture. Empower and boost morale of current employees. We're all on the same team.

6. "Retail Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Under Armour part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for! You get what you put in.

Cons

The customers. Plain and simple

7. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Juliet, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Juliet, TN

I have been working at Under Armour full-time

Pros

So much room for growth. No matter your race or gender, if you are about getting the job done, UA is the place for you.

Cons

It's still a new company, so there are a few gaps here and there, but there are efforts being taken to fill those gaps.

Advice to Management

Keep the diversity, and keep promoting from within. Great job so far, and continue to strive for greatness.

8. "Overall, it was a pretty good experience."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Simpsonville, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Simpsonville, KY

I worked at Under Armour part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees received a substantial discount compared to what employees receive at other stores. All of my coworkers and managers were encouraging and enjoyable to work with.

Cons

When we were slow it would be hard to find things to do. Also on the weekends it was constantly busy, and no matter how many people were working we'd always seem behind. The store would become a mess and it was annoying to constantly fold shirts, especially the ones that are required to fold with paper.

Advice to Management

Discover an app that will help employees view their schedule, the online portal was not the best option I've seen.

9. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hilton Head Island, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hilton Head Island, SC

I have been working at Under Armour part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and it isn't a hard job.

Cons

Some of the assistant managers feel that they are "too good" to do some of the tasks the sales associates do.

Advice to Management

Hire more friendly people

10. "Not what it used to be...."

Current Employee - Sales in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Sales in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Under Armour full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Valuable experience, relationships last beyond your time there.

Cons

Losing culture rapidly. Upward mobility much more limited than it once was.

Advice to Management

Get back to making great product.