Underground Elephant Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Underground Elephant Chief Executive Officer Jason Kulpa
Jason Kulpa

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lots of toys to play with (pool table, scooters, arcade games, & more) (in 7 reviews)

• Generally great people to work with and some of the work is interesting, but not for the CS and Sales teams though (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • high turnover rate, this problem is very serious, don't expect people make too much contribution when they only stay with company for a few months (in 4 reviews)

• There aren't many downsides to working at UE (in 4 reviews)

"Working at UE taught me a lot"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Underground Elephant part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with passionate and hardworking people has taught me so much about the industry I work in.

The training they provide as well as the medical benefits are all good

Cons

The way management is organized needs a bit of improvement

May 23, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Glad to hear your time at UE was a positive learning experience. Thanks for your review!

"So sad to leave UE"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Medical benefits are good and it actually provides a sense of security for employees like me.

I can say that the training they provided me has improved my skills in marketing and sales.

The compensation makes you want to work even more because I always felt that I am paid more than I deserve.

Cons

Competition among workers especially the sales people can sometimes put so much strain in the entire working environment

Advice to Management

Create a program that would make competition a bit more friendly

May 23, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for your review. We are also sad to lose a valuable member of our team, but are pleased to hear that you were happy with the benefits, compensation, and training you received during your... More

"Got out a better man"

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Underground Elephant part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The training i received from UE is something I will be forever grateful for

Gained so much knowledge about marketing that I know would help me going forward

Cons

Some employees does not have definite job descriptions

Advice to Management

Stop hiring new employees and focus on developing current employees' skill sets

May 23, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Thanks for your feedback; it's great to hear that you learned a lot while working with us. You also raised some valid points about job expectations and employee development. We are working to improve... More

"Take heed, herd"

I worked at Underground Elephant (More than a year)

Pros

Having worked at this company for more than a year, the only thing I could take away from my experience was the camaraderie and lifelong friendships built along the way. Just keep in mind that a lot of those bonding experiences will revolve around shared sentiments on how UNBEARABLE it is to work there.

Cons

I am a former UE employee and yes, the rumors are true - working for upper management (and the CEO in particular) was an experience that could best be described as “NIGHTMARISH”. New hires are typically very impressionable (and have little to no clue what they’re selling, or what product/service they’ll be supporting) and go in with good intentions, only to find out it was all a ruse! The shiny facade quickly dissipates, and what’s left is the ugly, nauseating truth. You work for a lead generation company without even the smallest, microscopic ounce of integrity or ethics. And not only that, but if you’re unfortunate enough to be on the front lines (sales or CS), check your moral compass at the door - that’s the only way you’ll survive. Maybe you’ll even be able to sleep at night.

The lack of transparency at this “business” is unconscionable (some might say ‘criminal’), and you’ll most likely be overworked and underpaid regardless of which department you work in (with the exception of upper management, of course). And to confirm, YES there was a massive layoff a few months back that for some reason failed to reverberate much in local media, or the “tech” industry the company so desperately latches itself onto. But the aftermath of which left many standup employees out on the dole and a rotten taste in remaining employees’ mouths. The company is corrupt, but only because it’s being led by a corrupt individual.

Advice to Management

Upper management, take a long, hard look in the mirror - you can’t keep up the act of being a legitimate, well-meaning business forever (without BEING a legitimate, well-meaning business). The elephant you rode in on is emaciated, exhausted, and nearing extinction. Take heed, herd.

May 24, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for expressing your insights and concerns. In regards to your “Pros,” we pride ourselves on hiring awesome people, and we’re glad that you agree! We also acknowledge that working in Sales... More

"Day of Reckoning"

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro is that the article referenced below finally saw the light of day. Hopefully there will be more to follow that expose in greater detail the truth about UE and its management team.

Cons

Want to work for a crazy and unstable individual? Then search "Elephant Rages in East Village" which is a recent article on San Diego Reader. This should provide you with enough information on why not to work at this company. Do yourself a favor and run as far away from this train wreck of a CEO and management team. It is still baffling how the CEO/Company went this long without something like this surfacing sooner but I suppose better late than never!

Advice to Management

Update your resumes, hire good attorneys and hope you saved your $$$!!

"It's actually not that bad."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked at UE for over a year. Without a doubt this will be the weirdest and most sureal career experiance I will have on my resume. The pros and cons can blend in together depending on who you talk to.

- SaaS experiance. This is by far the best take away from my time at UE and I was able to use this to negotiate a higher base salary at my current company.

- You will master customer service. UE has a mix bag of quality when it comes to products and you will hear it form their clients daily. You will get berated by customers which will only sharpen your CS skills.

- Aweome co-workers. Give it to UE, they hire unique people (many of whome I still keep in touch with) and create an awesome company culture.

- Free goodies: Ballast Point, Red Bull, snacks, cereal, bagels and fresh fruit.

- Open office. This office is straight out of Silicon Valley.

- Casual dress policy (I often wore tshirts.)

- Dog friendly. The dog policy was new when I left but it was awesome having dogs around once a week.

Cons

UE isn't all that bad as the most recent reviews make it out to be. I got out on good terms before the layoffs.

-Open office. The office is beautiful but I liked my privacy when we were in cubicles. This may not be the best office to work in if you are afraid of having everyone listen to your customer service calls.

- The pay. The pay isn't the best but you can leverage the experience into a higher paying job when you leave.

- Parking options. You have to pay for parking out of pocket. This by far was the most irritating part of working at UE because you'd think that a company that has the money to take care of 5 live olive trees can pay $100 a month for their employees parking pass.

Advice to Management

- Be transparent with prospective employees about roles and expectations as a CS rep. Is it a sales job or a customer service job? The answer is both but I didn't find out until I was hired.

- Have the monthly commission agreement ready on the 1st of the month and not on the 7th, 15th, or 20th of the month so we can have an idea of how much money we could potentially earn.

"Great office, heavy vibe, no job security"

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time

Pros

I have never posted a review on Glassdoor, but thought I'd share what I learned about UE in my 2 years working there. Hopefully this will give some insight for people considering applying or accepting a job there.

You should work at UE if:
    a) you are under 24 years and want to post cool photos of the office on social media. I mean, free coffee, an incredible space, and a full bar!
    b) this will be your first professional experience and you have no financial commitments the day you get laid off for no reason whatsoever (trust me, it will happen)

Cons

You should NOT work at UE if:
    a) you are currently employed, even if unhappy
    b) you have a family to support
    c) care about job security: your skills, dedication, hard work, and commitment to the company mean nothing there. It's all about the revenue. Decisions outside the scope of your role will dictate whether you will have a job tomorrow or not

Advice to Management

What you do is not ok. People have plans, families, bills to pay. You don't pull someone from their current job to let them go a month or so later.

"Financials not looking very good, management is a bit heavy handed"

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generally great people to work with and some of the work is interesting, but not for the CS and Sales teams though. Lots of change if you like that type of thing. Must be adaptable to work here.

Cons

Recent massive layoffs- almost 1/3 of the company was let go. It is not the most exciting or uplifting industry. Most of the work is pretty boring. On the rare occasion you get to work on something interesting, be prepared for the executive team to change direction mid stream because your work isn't revenue impacting enough and that is a huge focus for the company- almost to a fault.

Advice to Management

Communicate better and provide more transparency into how the company is doing. Let go of some of the control and trust your senior staff to make good decisions and follow through on those decisions. Drinking games at company meetings are meant to make the company seem fun but it is a thin disguise. It is not a fun place to work, the mood is very somber. A couple strong personalities run the company- cross them even a little bit and you are a target for sure. Executives just like to hear "yes". They will get their way even if it's not the the right way to go. Stop playing favorites with the "bros" or friends with the CEO's wife. Give people credit for their work and don't ignore or discount someone just because they're not as fun as you might be. They can still have something of value to offer.

"Enrollment Specialist"

I have been working at Underground Elephant full-time

Pros

Fun working environment with lots of non-monetary perks. Great way to start your career post-grad.

Cons

Not a whole lot of transparency in management.

"my opinion"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Chula Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the culture was great, a few cultural activities to help the employees bond. The fast pace helped me grow as a developer, learning different skills.

Cons

The focus was shifting a bit too much at times and moving people around to different projects could be at times while they are in the middle of another task.

Advice to Management

There has to be a better way to make the developers and business work together towards the same goal and not bump head when it comes to new projects.