Underground Elephant Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Underground Elephant Chief Executive Officer Jason Kulpa
Jason Kulpa

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I have never before experienced a work environment where people can have so much fun and accomplish so much" (in 6 reviews)

• "Welcoming culture and overall a great learning experience" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Check how many posts were on LinkedIn or Facebook following the April 26 article, it's laughable" (in 4 reviews)

• "Before you apply here, Save yourself some time and read the article in the San dirgo reader called the elephant rages" (in 3 reviews)

"Sales Position for almost Two Years"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-High growth opportunity, still in start up mentality
    -Great Business Model
    -Freedom to be creative- Use your own methods to sell and make a customer happy
    -Very family-esque culture

Cons

-This job isn't for everyone, expect high dials, expect bad days, expect overcoming objections. You make your own paycheck.
    -There is high growth but only the consistently best will reach it. Don't think you're getting a promotion just because you have a few good months. Prove your worth.

Advice to Management

Try to follow through with business projects and objectives, you can't accurately plan if the goals change every month.

Underground Elephant Response

Sep 18, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We're glad you enjoyed your time at UE and wish you the best of luck in future endeavors.

"Uncomfortable"

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time

Pros

Lively office with fun perks for people starting out.

Cons

It's been a while since I worked at UE but I still remember the feeling of constant discomfort. Management was volatile at the time and I heard wildly inappropriate comments being made by leadership about women. What started out as a frat environment seemed to be shifting to something more professional as I was heading out. Hopefully it's gotten better.

Advice to Management

Diversity and leadership training may be beneficial.

"Not for everyone. Some internal issues but can be rewarding."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good Startup vibes and culture which creates a fun work environment.
    - Lots of opportunities to move in and out of different projects.
    - Trial by fire. I mean this in a good way. They will trust you to handle yourself and give you bigger responsibilities quickly.
    - Senior Engineers really know what they are doing. You learn a lot.
    - Great Location
    - Cool Perks

Cons

- Employees are mostly kept in the dark about things.
    - Pay is on the low side
    - Bad decisions and a lousy/undefined company direction led to layoff of 1/3 of the company.

4. "Great job"

Pros

Welcoming culture and overall a great learning experience

Cons

Snacks go away too fast

"There are truly no words to explain how horrible this organization is."

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cold Brew Coffee, Donuts and (some) awesome people

Cons

If it wasn't for the friends I made there, I wouldn't have stayed as long as I did. The place is going down in flames, quick. The CEO is a complete sociopath and narcissist. Before you apply here, Save yourself some time and read the article in the San dirgo reader called the elephant rages.
    The pay is horrible, the quotas are unattainable and management wants nothing more then for you to fail. I've never seen so much turnover in a company either....there's a reason for that. Don't let the cool office fool you, it's just a front for how crappy this place is.

Best Advice: DON'T APPLY

Advice to Management

Care about your employees, pay a normal living wage and just stop....because you suck.

"Consider UE... only as a LAST RESORT!!"

I have been working at Underground Elephant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At best, you'll make friends. Good people are drawn here because big smiles and office perks are the first things you see.
    You definitely learn a lot as there is next to no leadership or training. You have to figure things out on your own or you'll be the first in line when a layoff comes.
    The location is great as you may often need to get a drink after a day of unsatisfying work.
    You learn to budget because raises rarely if ever happen (they will lowball you to start and hope that you're too inexperienced to negotiate) so consider it an extra boost to your math skills!
    There are positions where you can be happy, but those are already taken by long term employees who have seen to much to be terminated.

Cons

The CEO. It doesn't stop with him but that's definitely the root of the problems. Absolutely delusional and places zero value on anyone other than himself. As other reviews mention, his dark nature has been brought to light by the media and I'm sure it's only scratched the surface. In his words, the "sensational and fake news story" (hilarious considering how many anti-Trump tweets he posts) quoting police and court documents was the consequence of being a successful company like Uber or Facebook. But those companies are led with integrity and actual business practices - and they don't have to layoff 1/3 of the company to pay for offices they can't afford. I understand that the San Diego Reader may not be the biggest publication, but they did pull directly from state documents, and there are plenty of cases against the CEO that corroborate the story told.
    Outside of him, his gaggle of culture zombies diligently pump out fluff articles and tidbits that can be reposted by executive management to try and overshadow the negatives. Check how many posts were on LinkedIn or Facebook following the April 26 article, it's laughable. Executive management continues to shelter and protect the CEO making everyone else wonder constantly about their job security. If you speak your mind or show that you disapprove of the CEO, they will quickly find a reason to terminate you.
    Selling bad products to unhappy customers is draining. Designing programs that are rushed and meant to trick customers is depressing. Making money for a leader who refuses to reinvest in employees is completely ridiculous. Looking for new jobs comes with PTSD - I flash back to the promises made of salaries and raises and commissions when I first joined. I hesitate to trust any award winning companies or anyone boasting about perks. UE should only be a very very last resort, please don't waste time trying to work here.

Advice to Management

Quit pretending things are great. You're either that dumb or that desperate - both of which are sad. If you didn't post embarrassingly transparent fake reviews, employees wouldn't feel compelled to expose so many truths.
    Oh and get a leader who actually leads, who doesn't try to intimidate everyone on the payroll. Someone smart and upstanding who makes people proud to work there.
    You get what you give. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there waiting to watch you get exactly what you've given.

Underground Elephant Response

May 23, 2017 – HR Business Partner

We are sorry to hear that your experience working here has not aligned with our intention of creating a positive work environment for all employees. Our team is in the process of carefully... More

"Day of Reckoning"

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro is that the article referenced below finally saw the light of day. Hopefully there will be more to follow that expose in greater detail the truth about UE and its management team.

Cons

Want to work for a crazy and unstable individual? Then search "Elephant Rages in East Village" which is a recent article on San Diego Reader. This should provide you with enough information on why not to work at this company. Do yourself a favor and run as far away from this train wreck of a CEO and management team. It is still baffling how the CEO/Company went this long without something like this surfacing sooner but I suppose better late than never!

Advice to Management

Update your resumes, hire good attorneys and hope you saved your $$$!!

"It's actually not that bad."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked at UE for over a year. Without a doubt this will be the weirdest and most sureal career experiance I will have on my resume. The pros and cons can blend in together depending on who you talk to.

- SaaS experiance. This is by far the best take away from my time at UE and I was able to use this to negotiate a higher base salary at my current company.

- You will master customer service. UE has a mix bag of quality when it comes to products and you will hear it form their clients daily. You will get berated by customers which will only sharpen your CS skills.

- Aweome co-workers. Give it to UE, they hire unique people (many of whome I still keep in touch with) and create an awesome company culture.

- Free goodies: Ballast Point, Red Bull, snacks, cereal, bagels and fresh fruit.

- Open office. This office is straight out of Silicon Valley.

- Casual dress policy (I often wore tshirts.)

- Dog friendly. The dog policy was new when I left but it was awesome having dogs around once a week.

Cons

UE isn't all that bad as the most recent reviews make it out to be. I got out on good terms before the layoffs.

-Open office. The office is beautiful but I liked my privacy when we were in cubicles. This may not be the best office to work in if you are afraid of having everyone listen to your customer service calls.

- The pay. The pay isn't the best but you can leverage the experience into a higher paying job when you leave.

- Parking options. You have to pay for parking out of pocket. This by far was the most irritating part of working at UE because you'd think that a company that has the money to take care of 5 live olive trees can pay $100 a month for their employees parking pass.

Advice to Management

- Be transparent with prospective employees about roles and expectations as a CS rep. Is it a sales job or a customer service job? The answer is both but I didn't find out until I was hired.

- Have the monthly commission agreement ready on the 1st of the month and not on the 7th, 15th, or 20th of the month so we can have an idea of how much money we could potentially earn.

"Great office, heavy vibe, no job security"

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time

Pros

I have never posted a review on Glassdoor, but thought I'd share what I learned about UE in my 2 years working there. Hopefully this will give some insight for people considering applying or accepting a job there.

You should work at UE if:
    a) you are under 24 years and want to post cool photos of the office on social media. I mean, free coffee, an incredible space, and a full bar!
    b) this will be your first professional experience and you have no financial commitments the day you get laid off for no reason whatsoever (trust me, it will happen)

Cons

You should NOT work at UE if:
    a) you are currently employed, even if unhappy
    b) you have a family to support
    c) care about job security: your skills, dedication, hard work, and commitment to the company mean nothing there. It's all about the revenue. Decisions outside the scope of your role will dictate whether you will have a job tomorrow or not

Advice to Management

What you do is not ok. People have plans, families, bills to pay. You don't pull someone from their current job to let them go a month or so later.

"my opinion"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Chula Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the culture was great, a few cultural activities to help the employees bond. The fast pace helped me grow as a developer, learning different skills.

Cons

The focus was shifting a bit too much at times and moving people around to different projects could be at times while they are in the middle of another task.

Advice to Management

There has to be a better way to make the developers and business work together towards the same goal and not bump head when it comes to new projects.