Ungerboeck Software International Reviews

Updated May 6, 2020

Ungerboeck Software International President & CEO Manish Chandak
Manish Chandak
Pros
  • "Co-workers and managers are genuinely great people(in 4 reviews)

• "USI has created a fantastic work-life balance standard which is hard to find these days(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "There has a been a ton of turnover, top to bottom, over the last 12 months(in 2 reviews)

• "We need a bigger parking lot as we are outgrowing ours(in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fantastic culture with a bright business future"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-I in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Ungerboeck Software International full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people here are great, the 401k plan is excellent, and there is a perfect mix of work and play in the culture among the developers.

Cons

Somewhat low starting salary, and a mediocre health plan.

Ungerboeck Software International2020-05-06

"Good Core...and Growth & Opportunity are Knocking"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Ungerboeck Software International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people first and foremost make up the heart of Ungerboeck. Very talented, kind & genuine people at all levels of the company & there are constant opportunities to get involved both before & after work. The company encourages their employees to be comfortable...relaxed dress code, fresh fruit/snacks, and a volleyball court are just some of the perks. The industry is challenging, but ripe with opportunity. The company is at a point now where it could rapidly expand in the near future, so people that are willing to take the initiative and drive that growth should find themselves (careers) in a great position moving forward. How many other companies in the St. Louis area are you going to find that work with the top convention centers, stadiums, universities, and exhibition clients all over the world? Benefits include a great 401(k) match, dental/health insurance, gym membership, and even access to a training program onsite once you've been with the company long-enough. The last, and perhaps greatest plus, is the time flexibility & understanding or the work-life balance that everyone needs. The ability to work from home and/or use flextime allows me to take care of my family, get a work out in over lunch, or just be more comfortable at the office is a tremendous benefit.

Cons

Growing a company doesn't come without some growing pains, whether its restructuring departments for expansion or implementing more efficient processes & systems. Communication & execution for such endeavors isn't always the cleanest, but is improving.

Ungerboeck Software International2019-01-23

"Fake "culture""

2.0

I worked at Ungerboeck Software International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

easy job, laid back atmosphere, plenty of activities and fun stuff to do during the work-day (work outs, lunch & learns, etc.)

Cons

They act as if the most valuable part of the company is their company culture and "family-like" atmosphere when in reality its all a front that looks nice but has no real substance. If the culture was as great as they portray it to be, then employees wouldn't be leaving after many years and Management wouldn't lie to employees and tell them things are getting better when in fact they are not.

Ungerboeck Software International2018-07-17

Ungerboeck Software International Response

August 8, 2018CEO

Over the past 2+ years, our team and company have been actively involved in ensuring that that the legacy of our rich heritage continues to be embedded in the core of who we are as a company. In our industry it is essential that we continue to evolve and build upon the strong foundation that we have. It is true that we have evolved, and the company does feel different than it did in the past. Some of that comes from the fact that we continue to grow in number, that we face different challenges than we did in the past. Some of it comes from new leadership across the board and in many different places. Yet we as a business are seeing success in ways that we never have. We are excited about the new customers that have joined our family, the new features we are offering and overall, the great opportunities we all have to learn and develop new skills through the evolutionary steps we are taking together as a company. In the end, I can assure anyone that the Ungerboeck family remains very committed to and pleased with the direction and path that we are on and that they started down some 30+ years ago. The family remains informed of and aligned to the direction and vision that we have today. That their hard work and dedication laid the foundation upon which we continually build. The digital world changes rapidly and we are, through our evolution, experiencing many sorts of “family-like” experiences. Challenging each other, collaborative innovation is what makes pushing through the challenges we do face day to day worth it, we grow closer and we evolve. I appreciate your thoughts shared here and I hope that we perhaps have the chance to interact once again and we can share with you some of the accomplishments that we are so thrilled to have achieved.

"Satisfied and happy - You should be too"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dardenne Prairie, MO

Pros

I have had the pleasure of working for Ungerboeck now for 2 years. The place isn't perfect (what company is?) but I have found a home. This company is made up of great people working together to achieve what would be impossible for most. We produce techonology solutions for an exciting space flush with challenges and opportunities. This makes it both tough and thrilling. Each customer and product is hard-earned but the victory is satisfying. This company seems to embrace the management philosophy of getting the right people on the bus and in the right seat. They gave me a chance and have encouraged my growth (I hope it could be described as flourishing but someone else can speak for my performance). Great people, great product, great future. I'm excited about our future. About other reviews...Realize some people are eternally unhappy and they are usually the loudest, others would never speak an ill word about someone or something else. I believe myself to be a fairly even-minded person but my review is also colored by my experience. Experiences are subjective; mine, negative reviewers, and glowing reviews. Yours would be too. Give the company a chance, give the people here a chance. The 'risk' is worth the reward.

Cons

I have hardly a thing to complain about I am compelled to list a few areas of improvement. If you are looking for a job to make you rich quick, keep chasing the rainbow for that pot of gold. The benefits are comfortable and the salary is fair; just not flashy. Our leadership has solid vision and strategy but I want more. I want a tight strategy with achievable tactics that factor environmental risks and opportunities. We are charting a new direction amidst a rapidly-shifiting techonogical environment and it will require sharp people, tactics, and a pinch of luck. I'd like more mentorship and coaching. Efforts are being made but we need more opportunities for professional and leadership development.

Ungerboeck Software International2018-06-28

"Ungerboeck is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Web Developer in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Ungerboeck Software International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, approachable management and a nice, collaborative culture. Casual-dress code with none of that "best-dressed competition" corporate office environments often feel like. Great fitness program and a diverse, non-judgemental staff. The management team shows genuine interest in employees' success through actions, benefits, activities and programs.

Cons

There is no paid maternity leave.

Ungerboeck Software International2018-06-14

"Decent place to start"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ungerboeck Software International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Great people -Low stress environment -Variable start times

Cons

-Not all projects are managed nicely -Old technologies

Ungerboeck Software International2018-06-15

"New Leadership and management driving company into ground."

1.0
    Former Employee - Support in O Fallon, MO

I worked at Ungerboeck Software International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most coworkers were a delight to work with.

Cons

Out of date software Sexist environment HR staff having personal relationships with multiple employees CEO disconnected from staff.

Ungerboeck Software International2018-07-01

"From an actual employee - consider your options carefully."

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ungerboeck Software International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you are an established professional in tech – do not waste your time here. Their salary offering should ensure that. Be sure to clarify that up front to save yourself some time. If you want to transition to tech or you are a young developer right out of school – you might consider this opportunity. It may allow you to cut your teeth on a business management software and in technology in general. The subject matter and client base are varied and can provide solid career experience. You just have to go in with your eyes wide open and clear, time-defined, objectives that are client-centric. While you are working towards your next step, do not waste your energy dealing with their complete lack of quality assurance or stressing out about a lack of resources. Get in, get your skills, and get out.

Cons

I was debating ever leaving a review here and wondering what good it would do. That is until I saw several reviews left over the past few weeks. Problems at USI do not come down to office layout/space and dealing with so much “growth”. Let’s call the last couple of years, “transition”, or “period of change” what it is – inept and clumsy c-level management that flies in the face of good leadership skills. This naturally caused middle management to become fearful and to begin flailing (those who could, left). A toxic environment became the norm for all. In addition to this cycle, some inexplicable new hires were made that actually added layers to middle management. Non-value added would be the kindest way to put it. Another fun feature has been the complete disregard for the career paths of existing long-term employees – one that cannot be justified by a lack of merit, skills, or common sense. Let’s also be clear that the high turnover (referred to openly at one point as “weekly departures”) is not a matter of folks who didn’t get a new “vision” or a “better way of operating” transitioning out. Do not fool yourselves - it is a matter of those who have the opportunity and ability to leave are leaving. There is no “dust settled” as of this writing. The only silver lining of the turnover is that there have been short bursts of long overdue promotions and salary increases for existing (and very deserving) employees – ostensibly part of a bigger plan but really just meant to stem the tide of departures.

Ungerboeck Software International2018-05-22

Ungerboeck Software International Response

June 1, 2018HR Generalist

Thanks for leaving a review. We do appreciate feedback of any kind. As many of the reviews mention, there has been quite a bit of change. Change that you obviously witnessed first hand and it was difficult to navigate for many. However, this change has stemmed deeper conversations around restructuring the departments around our organization. We've completed phase 1 of the process in sales, services, marketing, UX, and now we're tackling software engineering. Coupled with this restructuring is the career paths for existing long-term employees. It is our number one priority to ensure our employees feel engaged with their work, teams, and feel that there is always a next step for them. We are faced with new challenges that haven't been addressed before because our employees now feel empowered to help us recognize where we fall short. We value these conversations and hope to always move forward in the right direction. Thanks again for your feedback.

"Good Company, Great People"

I have been working at Ungerboeck Software International full-time

Pros

I've been with the company for more than a year. The best part has been the people I work with - very talented and dedicated. If you've worked at organizations where you didn't have talented co-workers, you understand why this is so important. The company itself has more of a family atmosphere than corporate. It is a smaller company which I like and does have a global presence which can be very challenging (in a good way). The culture is very impressive. There are plenty of social events and company celebrations. It's not all play, of course, but the company does seem to actively try to maintain a balance. The CEO, Manish Chandak, has a very strong technical background and seems to understand the need to invest in newer technologies. He has definitely taken steps to move the company in a more innovative and "cutting edge" direction which is great to be a part of. Having a personal trainer on staff with a workout area is very popular.

Cons

I think the biggest con would be the legacy environment currently being supported. This is definitely decreasing and hopefully will be retired soon but for now it is still there. The company is definitely growing and so common problems like parking, office space, etc. do exist. I'm sure that management is aware of these and addressing them.

Ungerboeck Software International2018-04-23

"Growth!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO

Pros

For me, the most notable pro about working at Ungerboeck has been the professional and personal development/growth I have experienced since I joined the company nearly 4 years ago. We have certainly had our challenges over the past year and half. Leadership has changed and the business model has evolved to better reflect current software industry trends (both business model wise and software technology wise), and because of those changes our comfort zones get challenged a bit. However, it has been through those challenges that I have grown as a person, and what more could someone ask for from an employer besides opportunities to grow and develop both personally and professionally? The flexibility of schedules, the focus on health and wellness and an overall desire to work hard and produce really cool stuff that offers solutions to customer problems is...quite fun, albeit challenging at times. But it's a challenge to overcome and that's what makes it rewarding at the of the day. In summary, there is no perfect business out there, no company that does not have opportunities to evolve their message, their product and their customer service. We exist in a space (software) that you must always be evolving and getting better. I totally believe that is what we've done over the past year and half. Has it been uncomfortable at times? Yes. Has it been challenging at times? Yes. Has it been fun? Totally. I will say what I said earlier, I have grown tremendously by working through those challenging and fun times. And that is a benefit that won't ever show up on a website.

Cons

I have read a lot on here about the building look/fee and I would agree that it's time for an update, a bit more of a modern feel would be nice, I mean the 90's were great, but that was while ago and the decor from that era should be updated to better reflect the drive for innovation that exists within the product and offerings. At times there can be a feeling that messaging is too positive and that we don't seek enough critical feedback on product or processes, so I think we need to be OK talking about the stuff that goes wrong and what we can do to learn from it.

Ungerboeck Software International2018-05-09