UniFirst Reviews | Glassdoor

UniFirst Reviews

Updated July 19, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is a great company to work for or I wouldn't have stayed here for the last 20 years (in 48 reviews)

• UniFirst has a fantastic sales training program, second to none (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Year 1 in any position if very difficult and will involve long hours (in 53 reviews)

• Nothing is easy for any outside sales rep position (in 38 reviews)

1. "Maintenance"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and good ahours

Cons

Bad management, bad communication

Advice to Management

Need to improve communication

"Terrible Company"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Birmingham, AL

I worked at UniFirst full-time

Pros

Could be a good job for a first time sales rep. Get your training and experience, then get out.

Cons

Everything. Unifirst cares nothing about their employees, and it is apparent in everything they do. They make money on stealing from their employees, rather than building long term relationships that are mutually beneficial.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the way employees are treated, and compensate them fairly rather than take advantage. Do not manage on intimidation.

"Run far away"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Newark, NJ

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-weekly paychecks
    -travel allowance
    -cell phone compensation
    -lots of sales resources
    -interactive sales meetings
    -the chance to read ridiculous scripts over the phone

Cons

-They treat you like a number until your number is up and when that time comes, everyone in management who you think you've built relationships with over the years will turn their backs on you.

-Turnover! Turnover! Turnover! The average sales rep lasts 6-8 months. Tenured reps are not valued and will be put under constant pressure to hit increasing, and at times unattainable quotas.

-Every account that you sell will eventually come to hate you because of the poor service they will be getting.

-Management techniques are based on threats, micromanaging.

-Sales training that focuses entirely on scripts and rehearsed procedures that are completely useless in the actual sales field.

-Must work a full year before earning a reasonable amount of PTO

Advice to Management

Show that you have a soul

4. "A job, not a career."

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent base salary + commission
    Friendly staff

Cons

High turnover
    Poor training
    Questionable sales tactics
    Poor customer service
    Weekly rates higher than most competitors
    Cold Calling

I'm sure experiences differ depending on location, but my experience as a Sales Rep here was very negative. They throw you out there with no knowledge of the industry or product and expect you to meet the standard weekly quota.

Turnover is extremely high here. If you want a job, then work here. If you want a career, look elsewhere. You won't find any growth opportunities here unless you want to be a Sales Manager, which is arguably the worst job in the company. There were 4 different sales managers in less than a year at my location. 3 Drivers and 1 Rep quit during my short time with the company.

For the amount of work you have to do in order to close an account, you're getting heavily underpaid compared to a similar outside sales job. If you want to get out what you put in, then sell something else, or work for a competitor that will pay you 20% more.

Advice to Management

Improve the training, and give a grace period for new Reps. It's unrealistic to expect someone who doesn't know anything about the product or industry to be an instant success.

"Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training was very helpful and insightful into the industry. It was very much set to a certain customer type and to the average customer base.

Cons

This is a micromanaged nightmare. You are expected to perform 2 four hour call blocks with a manager watching every phone call you make/ if you do not set 4 - 6 appointments during that time slot you must stay until that goal is met. Those 8 hours are the only times you are permitted in the office, no access to printers, support staff or samples unless you "ask" for permission. Please know you will be asked to report to work at 7am for sales.

Advice to Management

Let your reps work with a little autonomy. Structure and goals are needed, but the real time monitoring of sales activities and hall monitor like attitude drives good hard working people away.

"HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Charles, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Charles, LA

I worked at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only pro I can think of is not having to be in an office all day and free lunch we occasionally received

Cons

When you interview they tell you that you will make $60,000 a year. After you go through the interview process and sign your offer they tell you that your ramp up commission bonuses are INCLUDED in the salary. They told us you will receive a bonus after the first ramp up and you bust your butt to get the bonus and then they claim the first one was only a qualifier. That's right, if you do not hit your FIRST bonus you are not eligible for a bonus the rest of the year. Commission is a JOKE. It's less than 2% and they always find reasons to not pay you the full commission promised. Orders take too long to key and when you do get the orders in and are delivered, SOMETHING IS ALWAYS MESSED UP and they want to take it out of your personal check to fix their issues. They tell you they give you mileage pay and gas but we only got paid for 290 miles while driving close to 600+ a week. This 'reimbursement' is paid through your weekly check so the taxes taken out leave you with nothing. When I started there were no reps. Everyone quit and didn't realize this UNTIL the first day on the job. They require 5 weeks of training that they spend tons of money on. Spending that much money on training is pointless when the turnover rate is as high as it is at this place. Maybe if they took some of the training money and put it towards the employees who are actually making the business money, more would stay. You can't expect employees to destroy their vehicles and pay out of pocket to run someone else's business. Also, the weekly activities and goals they want is IMPOSSIBLE to reach. They want MINIMUM of 16 cold calls a day. If you were a smart business owner the amount of activities you drag your employees to do mean nothing if the person selling isn't building relationships with the customers they're interacting with. You can't build relationships hitting up 16-20 places A DAY! On top of that, if you do not sell anything for the week you get chewed out and talked down to like a dog. Nothing you do for this company is good enough. It's sad that the management of this company has to MAKE their employees leave good reviews just so it makes them look good. Every good review on here are from employees who hated this place but were bribed by management to be posted! Terrible place to work and I highly recommend to look the other way. Working at a grocery store is better than working at this place

Advice to Management

Management will tell you to do one thing and the next day tell you something different. No one in this company that should be leaders are on the same page.

Jun 29, 2017 – Sales Training Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. Moving forward, we hope you’ve found a much better fit for yourself – one that meets each and every one of your expectations.

"Don't get caught being a whistleblower !!"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great to meet new customers .... more truthful than management.

Cons

" If we like ya , we will find a way to keep ya ... if we don't ... we find a way to get rid of ya " ...... let that burn into your head every time you bust it and think you are getting somewhere. And don't come from another uniform company , otherwise be ready to be know as " The Retread" .. in reference of a re-capped truck tire used over and over. Don't fall for the " If you sell in his or her territory , since I'm getting rid of them , I'll make it up to you on the back end". So if you are ok with your performance not really a factor , yet if you are in "The Click" and liked , Ok with being called names and stereotyped by senior and regional management , and don't mind getting dirty behind the bus , then this is the job for you !! I'm glad I was let go. My desk was actually cleaned out two weeks prior , but was not giving management the glory of resignation.

Advice to Management

Find new....

May 24, 2017 – Sales Training Specialist

"If it's between living under the bridge or working at Unifirst, then work at Unifirst. Otherwise don't."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay in US dollars.

Cons

100% annual turnover in the sales department at the location where I worked. I suspect this is company wide. Also, if you like to spend 90% of your work week cold calling mom and pop autoshops and telemarketing, then Unifirst is the place for you.

May 5, 2017 – Sales Training Specialist

It always saddens us whenever any UniFirst Team Partners feels that their experience in our organization is a negative one. We really hope that you have found a better fit.

"Toxic environment"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UniFirst full-time

Pros

Base salary is decent and medical/dental wasn't too bad.

Cons

Bad /toxic environment. Management constantly revising practices & procedures. Micromanaged daily with punitive abrupt meetings throughout the week. If you are related to management, your job is secured. They will work with you, otherwise you're pretty much on your own. Call blocks are monitored by management so they will sit next to your desk to listen to your call. Management will verify (call client) whether your appointment you booked is legitimate.
    So rethink if you would be happy working in such an environment.

May 5, 2017 – Sales Training Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. Please understand it is a requirement for our managers to be involved during our weekly call blocks to coach and help their Sales Teams. It is not meant as punitive, but... More

10. "Major Micro Management"

I worked at UniFirst full-time

Pros

you can make a lot of money depending on your geography

Cons

micromanagement, the rich get richer and lean on the grunts

Advice to Management

value your employees