UniFirst Reviews | Glassdoor

UniFirst Reviews

Updated July 3, 2017

2.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • UniFirst has a fantastic sales training program, second to none (in 49 reviews)

• This is a great company to work for or I wouldn't have stayed here for the last 20 years (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Year 1 in any position if very difficult and will involve long hours (in 52 reviews)

• Nothing is easy for any outside sales rep position (in 38 reviews)

"Honest review"

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, if you're coming out of college, interested in learning about sales, and have a crazy good work ethic, an outside sales rep at Unifirst might be a good first step. The pay and benefits are OK. Revised vacation policy is very good. Outstanding training program in which you communicate with trainers at the corporate level very often. Depending on your sales manager, your experience may be amazing, or may be miserable...I saw both.

Cons

The cons at UniFirst are many. First and most important, on a national scale, UniFirst is 2nd among national uniform and facility service providers. Number one is Cintas and I won't mince words, Cintas dominates the market I was in as well as numerous other markets in the United States. If you take a job at Unifirst, please be aware that there is a CRAZY emphasis on setting appointments. In fact, before I left, they created this insane contest where your location earned a score based on how many appointments you set. The logic behind it is that if you set appointments, you can pitch this VIP Cost Analysis Program to audit the uniform program at a company and hope that Cintas has screwed up, angering the customer enough to switch to UniFirst. The problem is 2 fold. First, the industry standard for contracts in the uniform rental business is 5 years. So, if a company is in year 1-2-3-4....there is virtually no chance they move until their contract is up. If a company is having major issues with Cintas, UniFirst wants you to assist that customer by helping them write letters to Cintas and help them fix their problems in the hope that when the contract is up, they will switch to UniFirst. But, for a sales rep, that's a TON of work for a sale that may or may not happen in 2-3 years and will seem like an incredible waste of time. Here is my last issue, selling at UniFirst is like selling in the 1960's. A full 12 hours of your 40+ hour work week will be in the office on a phone block trying to set appointments. PLEASE be prepared to get a TON of rejection, hung up on, yelled at, or simply ignored. When you aren't on the phone, the expectation is that you go door to door selling to as many businesses you can to try to set an appointment. It's wildly inefficient.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is now that Ron has passed away, it's time to do an internal scrub of your sales process. What worked for Aldo and then Ron, doesn't mean it works today. The lack of promotions outside of sponsoring a race car driver is killing sales reps. Statistics show that less than 2% of cold calls result in an appointment being set. Another statistic shows that customers do NOT want to be contacted by phone. Their preferred channel of communication is email, or snail mail. So, what is the point of spending 9 hours on a Monday or Friday pounding the phones? What is wrong with e-mailing prospects at UniFirst? If mail is the preferred communication, having them warm to the idea before a sales rep makes a call to them to set an appointments seems like a vastly better way to run the sales process.

2. "So-So"

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Decent Pay
    •Great work culture

Cons

•Upper management - no support from direct manager and when you try to go above them you get reprimanded
    • Too long of hours - 9-10 hour days
    • Too micromanaged - i felt that even though i was selling and making my quotas, nothing was good enough and someone was always looking over my shoulder to see if i was doing something wrong

Advice to Management

• Have more trust in your employees and if you don't trust them, don't hire them.

3. "Route driver"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stratford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stratford, CT

Pros

The co worker were helpful. Good teamwork.

Cons

Bad hours. Not enough pay for the work that has to be done. Routes make no sense.

"Don't do it..."

Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Mesquite, TX
    Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Mesquite, TX

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment is old school and the guys are awesome...they really could/should make a TV show about route guys. It'd make tons of money.

Management has good intentions but there's only so much they can do to help. It's your route, little buddy.

You can make good money ($1200-1500/wk) IF you get a good route...but be prepared to work long hours. (4:30AM-6PM was common for route guys). Here's how it works...if you are lucky enough to get a "good" route...you may be getting off by noon everyday and make twice what another guy makes who's out there for 12 hrs a day...that's just the nature of the route business.

You will become immune to all types of nasty sights/smells and receive a first class education in street smarts.

Bottom line...if you can avoid doing this, you should. Although if you have some sort of sick masochistic personality you'll probably get a kick out of just how bizare it all is.

Cons

Make no mistake, this job is not for the faint of heart. I worked in the moving business for 5 years before working at Unifirst and it was a cakewalk compared to running a route everyday. While there is certainly something uniquely manly and exhilerating about having such an extreme job, I didn't like being so tired in the mornings before and evenings after work that I would fall asleep driving. If you don't plan on doing this long term, then it's difficult to justify putting yourself through all that.

Trucks with no AC, exposure to chemicals, risk of permanent back, knee, shoulder, elbow and wrist injuries. No joke! Do not take what I am saying for granted! This is a dangerous job.

Your customers are at best an odd bunch...at worst they are the dregs of society. Some of my customers I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley...no less see on a weekly basis.

If you're looking for a job and are considering doing this because you feel like you need something quick...I would advise you to remain patient and seriously consider your other options...you don't have to do this to yourself.

Advice to Management

God bless you

Jun 29, 2017 – Sales Training Specialist

As a Route Sales Representative, you have the rewarding opportunity to meet, service, and build relationships with a wide array of customers from all types of industries. You must be comfortable... More

"Micromanagement and Poor Company Culture"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Lake Charles, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Lake Charles, LA

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not in an office all day everyday, ability to move up in the company if you stick around long enough (most don't and you'll find out why)

Cons

Salary is way less than what reps make in other industries or with other competitors, poor commission structure (when you do the math it's less than 1%), unrealistic expectations, quota doesn't take into account your territory. Spend more time doing pointless tasks than actually getting to do the job you signed up for- selling. Negative management, lack of support, boss uses fear tactics and threats instead of motivation. Overworked, underpaid. And you aren't even fully compensated for your mileage, it is capped (I was only compensated for 290 even though most weeks I drove over 800 miles)

Advice to Management

Treat your sales team and your route drivers like they are the back bone of the organization, because they are. Don't sit behind a desk wagging fingers, support your employees or a better manager will.

May 24, 2017 – Sales Training Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. It always saddens us whenever any UniFirst Team Partners feels their experience in our organization is a negative one. Moving forward, we hope you’ve found a better fit... More

"Be wary"

Former Employee - Sales in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Sales in Reno, NV

I worked at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can make a decent income.

Cons

Passive aggressive management techniques. All through training one is told there is support and they understand it takes a while to get on your feet. After training the tone changes to do it, do it as I to do it, if you don't do you'll be fired.

Advice to Management

Nobody is interested in working for a company that constantly threatens to fire people, then also fires them for legitimate reason.

"Good company, bad people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Missouri City, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Missouri City, TX

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, medical, dental 401k, and corporate help

Cons

but not worth the 80 hour weeks and occasional Saturday morning installs and unappreciative upper management

Advice to Management

Take care of your people or you will have none

"Tough Entry Level"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Detroit, MI

I worked at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired to add some sales experience to your resume

Cons

Big competition with a much more well known competitor. Management is overbearing and not great at teaching. Training is worthless.

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Cookeville, TN
    Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Cookeville, TN

I worked at UniFirst (More than 8 years)

Pros

Off nights, weekends and holidays.

Cons

Lack of a structured environment. Things rarely went according to plan and when it didn't there wasn't a contingency plan. Some days were pure chaos.

Advice to Management

Be proactive rather than reactive

"Only thing keeping me here is the money."

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Normal, IL
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Normal, IL

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job pays decently, co-workers are pretty chill, uniform is free and being able to run your route the way you want can feel rewarding.

Cons

Your safety is not a major concern for them. You are just a number no matter what they try to tell you.

Advice to Management

Serious changes need to be made for the welfare of the drivers. Should these changes be taken seriously, you would attract way more talent into this line of work.

Mar 1, 2017 – Corporate Service

Thank you for the review. Safety is of paramount importance at UniFirst. Upon hire, all new employees who will have access to driving one of our vehicles must obtain a medical DOT card, pass a... More