UniFirst Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
UniFirst Chairman, President, and CEO Ronald D. Croatti
Ronald D. Croatti

Pros
  • UniFirst has a fantastic sales training program, second to none (in 47 reviews)

• This is a great company to work for or I wouldn't have stayed here for the last 20 years (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Year 1 in any position if very difficult and will involve long hours (in 49 reviews)

• Nothing is easy for any outside sales rep position (in 34 reviews)

"Great training, not a place to stay long term though"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Southeast Owasco, NY
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Southeast Owasco, NY

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team environment, the training was exhausting at the beginning but it helps a lot especially if you are new to sales. Decent base pay. good benefits and a 401k match. You have the ability to make your own schedule. Meet with different business owners through all works of life. Great resume builder if you can work here for a year or more. Different ways to get bonuses.
    Loved the people in my office.

Cons

It all comes down to what location you are at, every location will have high turnover some more than others and a lot has to do with bad hires since this job requires little to no experience. My location was a small office with a small warehouse- we didn't Lauder items here or repair them we had to send our clothes to a bigger plan then they would have to deliver to ours. Cintas and G & K both had big plants in our area and had been there longer so they had more resources than we did. So that can affect you. Micromanaged a little too extreme, you have to put in all your activities
    Up to company's standard, if you don't have enough they will grill you during your Monday one on one new meetings. They set there quota way too high. Only 14 ppl went to presidents club out of all the reps in the entire country. Half of them were from Texas. My territory economically was low and to corporate they don't care. You can get by with a $20 a week Average during your 1st year, but after that they expect you to be a little higher or more, turn in a folder every week, if you go more than 4 weeks without a sale they start discussing putting you on an action plan. My advice for people considering this job or just started... Bust your butt for a year and if you can last over a year you are doing better than majority of ppl, and I would advise you to start looking for another job if your average is $30 or lower after year one. In the end you are just a number and corporate doesn't care. I didn't have a good sales manager he was on us about our numbers but never did anything or road with us much, and when he did it was just when I met with A accounts and he would play take over after I had built rapport. So if you don't have a good manager that can effect you. Also, once you sign an account you have to do a lot of paper work, the customer has to have good credit, your emblems have to be ok. So it may take you two - three weeks to actually get it keyed. A lot has to come down to your location, your manage, the service side, resources, etc. My location unfortunately didn't have good resources. I stuck it out for a year and half and got offered a better paying job.

Advice to Management

Set goals and quotas based on geographics. You can't compare everyone the same. Especially the people in Texas. Most big companies are in Texas and a lot of oil places. So just stop. You can't have the same goals in Austin Tx like you would in Mississippi or Alabama. Give reps some time, some accounts will take a while due to ppl being in contracts or if they are a new business they want to get there business going first. The fact that you will put someone on a action plan that doesn't make a sale between thanksgiving and Christmas is insane or if nothing gets installed during that time especially since there are a lot of days off from the routes because of holidays.

"Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Wilbraham, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Wilbraham, MA

I have been working at UniFirst (More than a year)

Pros

Very extensive training program. Alot of bonus payment opportunities.

Cons

disconnect from corporate to local locations. A lot of reps were at bonus and suddenly were ineligible without explanation.

Advice to Management

Great for a first Sales Job. Make more distribution plants to stay competitive.

"A good place to start"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay for an entry level sales position
    in depth training in B2B sales
    awesome coworkers

Cons

sink or swim mentality
    commissions come late
    can't always come through with the quality you sell

Advice to Management

focus on creating a plant that is up to corporate standards.

5. "Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Great company for career advancement and developing yourself.

Cons

compensation is lower than major competitors

6. "Thin Markets"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great if you have a territory with heavy oil and gas companies

Cons

Check your standards at the door

Advice to Management

Branch out into textile supply for wal mart

"Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Eugene, OR

I have been working at UniFirst (More than a year)

Pros

Great training program (on paper) support from corporate level is great.

Cons

Work-life balance is non-existent. Salary is very low compared to other companies in the industry. Paid federal minimum for mileage only, no vehicle allowance. Long hours, you are required to do paperwork, quotes, prepare presentations in your own time (not Mon-Friday 8-5) If you miss an hour or two during your work day, our pay is docked (although we are labeled exempt) but they won't give credit for the hours worked in the evenings/weekends. Local management is a joke. The communication between sales/service is non-existent, creating a nightmare for the end-user. Training program is great on paper, but trying to get your manager to implement it is a chore in itself. Long hours, high stress for little reward.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with your employees, and figure out ways to help instead of sticking your head in the sand and lying to your superiors. Accept accountability. Become part of the solution, don't add to the problem.

UniFirst Response

Nov 21, 2016 – Sales Training Specialist

Thank you for the feedback. We strongly believe in helping our Team Partners to grow and it always saddens us whenever any UniFirst Team Partner feels that their experience in our organization is a ... More

"Good and bad"

Current Employee - District Service Supervisor in Broken Arrow, OK
    Current Employee - District Service Supervisor in Broken Arrow, OK

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to meet a lot of cool customers and tour facilities

Cons

Late nights, early mornings, 65 hour work weeks, never know what you will be doing the next day

Advice to Management

Better pay, more help

9. "Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management, great training program as well and it realy prepares you for your future in the business world

Cons

Not great pay, really have to do alot of cold calling and have to pound the phones hard! Day starts at 7am and doesnt end till 530-6pm

Advice to Management

They do a great job training you in "sales" as a whole which will be edtremely helpful during the reat of your career in business.

UniFirst Response

Sep 1, 2016 – Sales Training Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear that you feel prepared to start Selling after going through our training. You are right. It takes a lot of activity in your first year (in any new ... More

"Sales consultant"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Bloomington, MN

I worked at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Locally growing company with a large national support system.

Cons

Very high turnover and low expectation to keep employees in sales for the long haul.

11. "Good Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment, good training, Management let's you be on your own without breathing down your neck.

Cons

Need more pay for Mileage, better compensation plan