UniFirst Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is a great company to work for or I wouldn't have stayed here for the last 20 years (in 48 reviews)

• UniFirst has a fantastic sales training program, second to none (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Year 1 in any position if very difficult and will involve long hours (in 53 reviews)

• Nothing is easy for any outside sales rep position (in 38 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

UniFirst provides the opportunity needed to get started in outside sales. The training provided is excellent and it gives you to tools you need to be successful. You will go through the entire sales cycle from prospect to customer in all sales you make. There is no place that will top the experience that you will receive at UniFirst.

Cons

The only con would be that if you are not a self starter, driven and motivated for success then UniFirst is not the place for you. If you have all of those traits then this is the place to be!

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the positive results minded atmosphere!

UniFirst Response

Nov 21, 2016 – Sales Training Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! At UniFirst we really pride ourselves on offering World Class Sales Training. We want to give our Team Partners all of the tools and training necessary to grow and have a... More

2. "I great starting point for my sales career."

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

I am very thankful to have had the opportunity to work for the Unifirst Corporation. As one of the leading Industrial Uniform and Facility Service providers in North America, Unifirst offers second to none sales training and management support. As a young sales professional with little to no direction or experience and only the extreme desire to succeed in the sales arena at my disposal, Unifirst presented an opportunity to me. At first I was very skeptical of the company because of the reviews I was coming across, but I decided to take the position and looking back have no regrets of my decision. From day 1 Unifirst fed me an unlimited amount of sales strategies and knowledge, trained me to execute, and provided all of the tools necessary to achieve limitless results in the field. Unifirst not only offers an insurmountable database of proven sales strategies but is also not going to shy from treading uncharted waters of which they will provide continued monthly corporate training sessions to keep you moving with the rest of the company. On a smaller scale, The Unifirst business model breaks down into over 200 locations nationwide, this provides a local relationship with a company that has National recognition and supports its’ employees as such. Particularly in the Pittsburgh region, I was extremely pleased to learn that my Sales Manager had started with the company in the same position as me and worked his way to become a President’s Club sales representative. A great teacher and mentor, he was always willing to listen to my frustrations, give them immediate attention, and work with me on how to overcome them. I would recommend the Unifirst Corporation to any business professional seeking the tools to help sharpen your skills in the sales arena while being provided backing and support from a growing billion dollar company.

Cons

There is a lot of pressure to meet and exceed your goals not only in sales numbers but in weekly prospecting numbers. Over time the pressure can seem to be overbearing but if you take it in the chin and push hard management will see your efforts and the resultes will come without doubt.

Advice to Management

Provide a more clear understanding of the ramp up goals and where the representative is currently with ramp up on a weekly basis. Discover a unique agenda for each rep, we are not all the same and one schedule may not work well for others.

3. "Best thing that ever came my way"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Uvalde, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Uvalde, TX

Pros

We have the best benifits in the industry. More than ample opportunity for advancement. You just have to be willing to work don't show up here if your self motivated and have a very strong work ethic

Cons

Long hours in the service department but I guess that's why e make the big bucks. Can't complain about our place

Advice to Management

Be more hands o. And for god sakes hop on a truck once in a while and remember what it ws like to be an RSR

4. "Great Opportunity to Enhance Sales and Life Skills"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New Kensington, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New Kensington, PA

Pros

Great managers, awesome culture, Good pay/commission, benefits, challenging job, promote from within, strong ethics, continuous and useful training

Cons

Lots of travelling, can sometimes be a grind

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue to change processes and keep things interesting. Your help and involvement is much appreciated. Your style of managing makes for an environement that is relaxed but not complacent.

5. "Never a dull moment"

Current Employee - District Service Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - District Service Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

company very stable
    very good at promoting within
    family feel is still apparent even though we have grown to a billion dollar comapny

Cons

long hours are the norm
    no time off during holidays
    with the focus moving to sales to keep up wiith the changing economy causes for challanges we did not have to face in past. All for the best.

Advice to Management

way too many deadlines to be meet all the time not allowing management to focus on running the business.

"Great Family Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Erie, PA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The stock is doing very well
    Protected Selling territory
    Cell Phone Allowance monthly
    Car Allowance Weekly
    The training Program is awesome
    Got to meet future CEO and CEO within my first year
    They Promote within Unifirst
    Can earn extra cash for hitting certain numbers
    Sales Training dept. is very helpful
    Blackberry has territory informaiton in it

Cons

You do have to work a lot of hours in your first year
    Database can be off depending on where you are located
    You only get paid once on an account you sold
    Can't buy Unifirst stock until you reach upper management

Advice to Management

Keep promoting within the company

"Great Development Opportunity"

Current Employee - Corporate Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Joining this company was one of the best decisions I have ever made. UniFirst has given me the opportunity to find my professional passion, and the support needed to be successful. I can't say enough for the training I have received in my time with UniFirst. There is a nice balance between work and life, and the people are great. I would strongly recommend this company to anyone who is looking to take the next step in their career.

Cons

Some of the internal systems are a bit antiquated. However, this is currently being addressed and should be much improved withing the next year. We also get started a little earlier in the day than most companies, so you will have to learn to be a morning person.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the emerging futureleaders of this company. Stay on top of changing work force trends in order to retain top talent.

8. "Great place for advancement"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top Notch Sales Training
    Promote from within
    Great compensation packages
    Billion Dollar Corporation
    Provides multiple tools to be successful

Cons

Lack of outside recruiting help

"Advancement and Support"

Current Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

UniFirst is a growing company that supports and advances its people that are willing to look and strive for new challenges.
    UniFirst's number one pro is its people. There has not been a time that I have reached out for help and did not get it!! Everyone wants people that are willing to do their part to succeed.

Cons

It is a big company and you have to be willing to reach out to people you may not know or feel comfortable with to find information you need.

Advice to Management

Continue to adapt to the new generations.

10. "Growing Company with great opportunity for advancement"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

UniFirst is a fast growing, family-run company with an endless oppotunity for advancement. Outside sales is a great place to get some valuable experience, make good money & set yourself up for a successful career. Although the first year can be extremely challenging, if you commit yourself to the position the sky is really the limit. The training is intense but with the intention of developing their people into future company leaders.

Cons

The hours can be long but are really an investment in your future.

Advice to Management

Continue to spend the money to develop your people and promote from within.