UniFirst Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
UniFirst Chairman, President, and CEO Ronald D. Croatti
Ronald D. Croatti

Pros
  • UniFirst has a fantastic sales training program, second to none (in 47 reviews)

• UniFirst is a Great company to work for (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Year 1 in any position if very difficult and will involve long hours (in 49 reviews)

• Nothing is easy for any outside sales rep position (in 35 reviews)

1. "Major Micro Management"

I worked at UniFirst full-time

Pros

you can make a lot of money depending on your geography

Cons

micromanagement, the rich get richer and lean on the grunts

Advice to Management

value your employees

"Management is extremely abusive"

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great commissions.
    -The new trucks don`t have a working heater
    -You`ll lose some weight. They work you hard
    -If you can breathe, they`ll hire you

Cons

Violent & Vulgar managers who don`t support their staff
    They hire new people and race them against each other to get a route
    Very unsafe practices; easy place to get injured
    You will only get a route if you do whatever the route guys want

Advice to Management

District Sales Managers should be approachable and not abusive toward the employees who make them their bonus

"Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everything is great in the first year - aka as your 'ramp up bonus'. Then, if you're a sales rep for UniFirst, get ready to get fired. If you actually make it through your first year, when I left I had seen at least 10 people or more get fired or quit for one reason or the other. Most likely because they put un-real expectations on you as a sales rep and do not encourage employment by a sales rep over a year. By that time you've not only paid for yourself, you've also added a lot to the RSR's route which they receive a commission on. There was poor service, poor comradery, poor management, poor service, etc from the branch where I worked. If you're looking for a company to grow with, unless you are willing to relocate geographically, then look elsewhere.

Cons

Where to start... At the end of the day, just about everything. It all starts and ends with the competency of your location manager. unrealistic expectations for tenured reps, extremely low vacation and sick time given, long days in your car, wear and tear on your car and your physical and mental well-being. Lying by management, poor service, poor everything. The worst part is that management knows from day one that you will most likely not make it there 52 weeks. If you do make it 52 weeks then you are expected to turn in 1 folder per week worth $110 every week.. If either of those cease to happen then you have NO chance in making it. If you are able to hit 1) bringing in a folder every week & 2) having the value average out at $110 / wk then you should go somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Stay consistent. CARE about your reps and employees. Give adequate time off and do not put realistic expectations on sales reps when they hit week 53, that's not right. Make sure you have strong leadership at your locations. Pretend you care about your sales staff and that you don't want employee turnover for good employees that care and buy into your

"Sales"

I worked at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a good training ground when it comes to the consultive sales cycle.

Cons

The level of professionality was nil and void. The left hand does not know what the right hand was doing when it came to sales and service. There where representatives writing emails to the district managers and not getting any responses back. Which kind of eliminated there open door policy. I mean there was a guy sleeping during our phone block and even the general manager didn't say anything to him. This really brought down the moral of the office. Everyone there didn't support the employee from the manager, to the employee. Support is non existent

Advice to Management

Stop turning a blind eye and passing the buck. Then maybe your company could be more profitable

"High Turn Over/Sales Managers Not Experienced, Immature, And Terrible Leaders."

I worked at UniFirst full-time

Pros

Great sales training from corporate, C-level management is okay.

Cons

Constant hiring, firing and resigning on the sales team. Low-level sales management is a mess, clicky, insulating, huge heads with very little accomplishment and experience.

Advice to Management

Don't promote people from the sales team that actually make it one working there, or had one big sale. Hire or promote seasoned adults who show consistency and good leadership qualities.

"Sad Operation in Fort Wayne, Indiana"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid weekly and received a car allowance.

Cons

Management was clueless and lied constantly.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your operation.

"Good if you have zero sales experience...bad if you've mastered your craft years ago."

I worked at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Parts of their training. Their sales process could cross over into multiple industries. M-F schedule which is also nice. Unfortunately, that's just about where it ends.

Cons

Pay. Salary is abysmal, especially during training. I came to the organization with years of experience, most recently in territory sales management and corporate account management for national and regional accounts for a Fortune 50 company. The management team I interviewed with obviously knew this per my resume and the interview process. This is also an entry-level position, so I didn't expect much. But no effort was made to pay commensurate to my experience. When I looked over my offer, I was told "Every rep starts out at this salary." Easily translatable into "We recognize your qualifications and track record, we just aren't going to pay you for them." This could be because my geographical location is economically disparaged and because I had been unemployed for an extended period of time due to said economic hardships, at which point you're clearly taking advantage of someone, also reprehensible. I realize Glassdoor isn't 100% accurate on what to expect in a salary, but I've used it as a measure before and been very successful both in negotiations and prospective jobs that meet my salary requirements. Having said that, my salary offer was $15K less than what Glassdoor reports the average salary for my role is within UniFirst. So, you've been warned on that front. Also, I noticed my pay for one week did not match up to the time sheet I hand signed for that week. There were hours missed during that week on my end due to a doctor's appointment, so yes a correction was required. However, I was not presented with a payroll correction form and my signed time sheet was altered without my knowing or permission. For those of you who aren't aware, that's illegal, hence the requirement for a signature as written acknowledgement of hours worked. There was no structured orientation. Training schedules were handed down by the regional managers, loosely enforced at the branch. Another new hire and I were told to take tests in the curriculum without the aforementioned training under the guise of "Just take them and get them out of the way. They'll tell you what you missed and you can retake it and pass." For someone who has experience, you can probably stumble through and be okay. For someone with no outside sales experience, someone with no knowledge of the industry, you are setting them up to fail and shame on you. There's also a lot of "my way or the highway" attitudes thrown around at the higher levels. I've seen it before, more so with this company. Be aware of that as well if you like to "stand out"; you probably won't be respected for it. Given their dubious business practices, at least at the branch in question (* see altered time slip and "training structure"), along with the fact that they want experience and knowledge without paying commensurately for it...new hires, get experience and go. Seasoned salesmen/account managers, avoid.

Advice to Management

You either need to reevaluate some of your branch leadership, or change your evaluation methods altogether. If I had done some of the things I've seen and mentioned, I wouldn't have had time to collect the experience that you were so willing to take advantage of yet incapable of rewarding.

UniFirst Response

Mar 1, 2017 – Sales Training Specialist

It disappoints us to hear that you feel your experience with UniFirst was a negative one. We hope you’ve found a much better fit for yourself – one that meets each and every one of your expectations.

"Outside Sales"

I worked at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to this job what so ever. It is simply a job you have while you wait until your next job.

Cons

Micromanagement is extremely bad.
    They train you for 6 weeks on roll playing the perfect scenario without actually teaching you anything.
    0 product knowledge is thought to you.
    There is a reason why this company has very bad turnover.
    If you are considering it be careful. I would strongly advise not relocating to work here.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting the best seller, they aren't always the best leader.

"Rsr"

Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Pompano Beach, FL
    Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Pompano Beach, FL

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow rsr's. The service guys all got along pretty well

Cons

Pretty much everything. Management and play the blames everything on the rsr's

Advice to Management

Dsm's are lazy and don't help at all

"Don't drink the Kool-Aid. Stay away."

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can get good training and experience to leave the company and work for a company that values the people that actually bring in revenue

Cons

-The definition of micromanagement (Their CRM system is used to track employees)
    -0 support from upper management. They put on a show to make you feel valued but at the drop of a hat will send you packing
    -unrealistic bonus structure, good luck hitting ANY sales bonuses.
    -they are stuck in the past overall. Have no idea how to cater to a younger generation. The regional managers and VPs make all the big money and squeeze everything they can out of the salespeople and sales managers.

Advice to Management

Trust in your people, if you value them as people then help them when they're in need.