UniFirst Reviews | Glassdoor

UniFirst Reviews

Updated April 18, 2017

Pros
  • UniFirst has a fantastic sales training program, second to none (in 47 reviews)

• This is a great company to work for or I wouldn't have stayed here for the last 20 years (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Year 1 in any position if very difficult and will involve long hours (in 50 reviews)

• Nothing is easy for any outside sales rep position (in 34 reviews)

"Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Houston, TX

Pros

Everything I was told during the ridiculous interview process was a lie. I have read every review on this site and the only positive ones here are paid employees saying positive things to get a good overall rating. The training is robotic and unrealistic. Run, Run, Run!!!!!!

Cons

Micromanagement is an understatement. The "F" word is used more often then any word in the English language. Very unprofessional leadership! There is no way to respect a manager that does not respect themselves. The leadership are uneducated fools with no understanding of business acumen, that is if they even know what that means. Sad!! Almost every review has a tenure of less than a year.

Advice to Management

Why we are different, lie. Customer for life, lie! Team selling, lie! 60 day rolling agreement, lie! How this company is still in business is beyond me. HR violations overlooked. Sexual harassment, overlooked. Corrupt and money hungry. Chasing the dollar, not a career. Tenure of employees, lie!!! Turnover, your embarrassment! Reply to post, "we are sad", really? No you're not!

Nov 21, 2016 – Sales Training Specialist

Thanks for sharing how you feel. It actually does make us sad, when we lose a Team Partner. When we talk about the “UniFirst Family”, we mean a family. And it always hurts to lose a member of that ... More

2. "Revolving door/ poor management"

Current Employee - Outside Sales and Route Sales in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Outside Sales and Route Sales in Omaha, NE

I have been working at UniFirst full-time

Pros

base salary is great that's it.

Cons

Can't keep drivers or outside salesman. A constant revolving door and 7yrs in Omaha. Can't keep a staff

Advice to Management

Needs better hands on training and good moral. Learn how to communicate with staff. Poor management. Can't do what they say there going to do.

3. "Outside Sales"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Louisville, KY

I worked at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good sales training in the beginning

Cons

This job is terrible!
    Very male dominated culture
    Few get excited about buying facility services and uniforms

"Gross and unprofessional"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rocky Mount, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rocky Mount, NC

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of anything good to say about the office where I worked.

Cons

Unprofessional, this office was the worst place I ever worked. The manager I had was new to management and had no idea how to lead people. She would rather get the work done than teach you how and be upset when she was doing more than someone else that just didn't know how. In this office the route guys were a mixture of cool and not cool, some had manners and some would speak so rudely while asking you to do something. The branch manager was normally a pretty fair guy though he knew how the route guys were and knew how his new manager ran her department and didn't seem to offer/enforce coaching to help.

Advice to Management

Take a lesson or 12 on professionalism and pass it on to your staff.

Aug 31, 2016 – Sales Training Specialist

Every UniFirst Team Partner is an important part of our organization, and we thank you for your service. And, we feel badly that you feel you did not get the training and support that you deserved ... More

"Sales rep"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in South Florida, FL

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

build up experience till you are able to find a better job. Training can be used in just about any industry and any sale.

Cons

terrible culture and leadership. Goals and quotas are unrealistic stretch goals. On average, only 1 rep out of 20 actually make or exceed their goals, the rest are put on unrealistic plans till they get burnt out and quit, or get fired. Worlds behind the competition in terms of compensation. Did I mention terrible leadership and culture?

Advice to Management

Treat your people with dignity and respect. Recognize and applaud progression and efforts, instead of only discouraging and demotivating the reps.

Aug 9, 2016 – Sales Training Specialist

Thank you for the review and welcome to the team! At UniFirst we really pride ourselves on offering World Class Sales Training and we are happy to hear that you prefer our truly consultative Sales ... More

"Never work here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocky Mount, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocky Mount, NC

I worked at UniFirst (More than a year)

Pros

Paid weekly, that's it and that's all

Cons

Terrible pay, no training whatsoever

Advice to Management

Tighten up on the Managers you have running your branches

"Sales"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at UniFirst full-time

Pros

Good place to get sales 101 training for example, learning presentation skills, objection handling, manage the sales cycle, learning to close.

Cons

Compensation is very heavily weighted on only new sales and so you don't develop or manage customers.
    Micro Managed to their process and they DO NOT allow out-of-the-box thinking.
    No negotiation with customers on contracts, must be done the Unifirst way.
    Bad reputation for sales turn over.
    Unrealistic sales goals and little sales management support in the field.
    Lack of technology tools.
    Territories can be divided unevenly.

Advice to Management

Management should hire quality sales people and give them time to build a business. They should allow their sales people an opportunity to receive residual sales and not have to rely 100% new sales.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Drexel Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Drexel Hill, PA

I worked at UniFirst (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good People in office good comradely

Cons

too much office time management looks t reports not sales, they train you too much and never assist when you need help just put you on action plan

Advice to Management

forget the in house training never is presented as in the real world

"Outside Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at UniFirst (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, the pay was decent for entry level, some good people, provided lunch every now and then. Phone reimbursement.

Cons

The Chattanooga area was not conducive to sales because of past managers and reps dishonesty and poor service. No one wanted service from UniFirst because of its reprehensible reputation around the area.

Job security is always on your mind every week. Even if you do sell an account, most of the time the customer will try to break contract because of horrible service, then that affects your commission check.

It is extremely difficult to sell a service that you don't believe in and that you know will actually cause the customer more problems than solutions. Also you are selling in a super saturated market with contractual sales, so most prospects can't even buy from you even if they wanted to.

Depreciates your vehicle due to at least 500 miles per week. No reimbursement for almost monthly oil changes.

Advice to Management

More product knowledge, visit current accounts more often to nurture the relationship to maybe one day UniFirst will actually redeem its deplorable repuation.

Jul 14, 2016 – Sales Training Specialist

It saddens us to hear that you felt your experience with UniFirst was lacking. We are always seeking to improve our best practices for Management, from the local level all the way to the top. Moving ... More

"Outside sales rep"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Nashua, NH

I worked at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The base pay is probably the only good thing. Also, the lunches provided to you occasionally. Take them up on their lunches.

Cons

At my particular branch, it was a very hostile environment. People were getting fired left and right as well as sales reps leaving on their own. Not a good environment to start off ones career. The data base you are handed will most likely be way out to date: in my instance, 5 years outdated. This is your source of leads. Makes it very difficult to set up appointments and get in front of the decision maker. They make it very difficult for you to figure out your commission. Even when you ask how to "calculate" it you'll still be left clueless.

Advice to Management

MRD needs to handle the data base instead of throwing that responsibility onto the sales rep. We have enough on our plates to begin with let alone rework a while database worth of accounts. At the very least they should be verifying the information in the database to make sure it is accurate. This is a huge extra strep and very time consuming for a sales rep.

Jul 14, 2016 – Sales Training Specialist

Thank you for your review. It always saddens us to lose a Team Partner. We look at the database as a tool for our Salespeople to keep all of the information they learn about their Prospects in one ... More