UniFirst Reviews | Glassdoor

UniFirst Reviews

Updated January 18, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • UniFirst has a fantastic sales training program, second to none (in 52 reviews)

• This company is a great company to work for (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Year 1 in any position if very difficult and will involve long hours (in 57 reviews)

• Nothing is easy for any outside sales rep position (in 40 reviews)

1. "Great Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Production Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Production Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Massive opportunity for advancement!
    Great pay, great benefits, family type environment but in a large publically traded corporation.

Cons

Nothing I can Think of.

Advice to Management

Technology is key. Continue to focus on new innovations.

2. "Shipping Depatment"

Current Employee - Shipping and Receiving Associate in Owensboro, KY
    Current Employee - Shipping and Receiving Associate in Owensboro, KY

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unifirst has a great work place environment, with great benefits for full time employees.
    Incentive pay is also great for employees like myself, and allows me to make a fine living for myself
    with no college education, and only working 8 hours a day.

Cons

Policies seem to change to frequently, and to restrictive on how we can use earned time off.

Advice to Management

More job meetings for specific jobs throughout plant to confront issues employees struggle with or think can be improved on.

3. "Thank ful"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people.
    The fact that the company takes care of it's employees.
    You can work in one position or advance if you want to.

Cons

Can be a lot of time invested but normally with a return.

Advice to Management

Keep the same direction.

4. "Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Richland, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Richland, WA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This has been a great experience and a learning one. Their training is intensive and almost like going back to school again. Leaves me with that good foundation to build on and I never get the feeling like being thrown to the wolves and hope for the best.
    I love the culture. It's not only professional, but also fun to be around. Nobody "hates" their job here or they simply don't last long.
    I've never been around the uniform industry (beside being a wearer for another company), but that really does not matter to anyone as we all are growing and expanding possibilities.

Cons

None really. Training is intense, but that is for my betterment, so that doesn't really count.

Advice to Management

Keep sticking to the original core values and the respect and honorable way people are treated will reflect on the bottom line. You've proven it.
    Thanks.

5. "Billing Administrator"

Current Employee - Billing Administrator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Billing Administrator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family oriented company that puts your family 1st

Cons

The way the handbook explains somethings and the way they are handled are in some cases total different

Advice to Management

Make sure handbook rules apply to everyone whether you are with the company 14 years or 1

6. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, great benefits, great pay and holiday time.

Cons

They don't like you to be late for any reason and their probationary period is tough.

Advice to Management

Be more forgiving with people with small children

"A good place to start, not finish."

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

UniFirst is good for people wanting to get into sales with no official sales experience.

Cons

My location manager was good. But, he was in over his head. There were too many problems with the company for him to handle.

1. The pay structure is awful--especially when you discover that your counterparts in other companies are making 3-4x more than you on commissions.

2. The time off policy is a joke. 5 days off a year total--and that's only if you were lucky enough to have your 90 days end before January 1. I was not so lucky.

3. The insurance plan is horribly overpriced, and no real value to it.

4. Incredibly behind the times. Everything is done by hand. There's no real fast way to put together a quote, or an order. There's a ton of redundancy that ultimately slows down the sales process.

5. No one is quite sure where they stand. The "quota" is a myth, and largely unattainable. Plus, because of how the commissions are paid, it's entirely possible for someone who didn't achieve quota to get paid MORE than someone who DID achieve quota.

5. They are obsessed with "President's Club" almost to the point that it resembles a pyramid scheme. They lead recruits to believe that it's much more attainable than it is. Frankly, they need to spend less time and money promoting this to your sales team, and use that money to pay for just about anything else.

6. The territory system is ridiculous. I couldn't sell in a good portion of my territory because the main office was in another territory. Not to mention that my territory had about 1/4 the population of other reps--but there was no salary adjustment to make up for that.

7. Mileage. I will be claiming nearly $8000 in unpaid mileage. I honestly felt used. If you're going to put my in a territory that big, you better pay me accordingly.

8. Rules for the sake of having rules. We were called into a meeting, and asked to sign a dress code policy. Most of it was vague, and ultimately only mattered when we were actually in the office, which was 2 days a week, and we didn't see customers. Why have a strict policy you can't police? It just seemed like a way to bully people.

9. Hours. My hours at the beginning started at 7am. That was insane. But, I was desperate. It wasn't much better later--7:30 am. Not to mention the fact that I saw other reps get chastised for not being on time--when often they were taking their kids to school, daycare etc., some of which don't open their doors until 7:15, or 7:30.

Advice to Management

So many things. Start being realistic about this company. You could be doing great things, but you've spent so much time in the dark ages, you're being left behind.

"Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, training is second to none, and a very friendly environment. You can really come here to learn the art of selling. There's finominal leadership within this company, and that's what makes it so great. I actually felt like I was a part of a family, and not a company. It was always great getting to speak with other reps, managers, and leadership in your region.

Cons

6 months into the company, I started to feel skeptical. They make us fill out mileage forms now, and if it is not done, no mileage. The first week that was put into place the company took $155 of every reps traveling reimbursement and never returned it. I've still yet to get reimbursed for the money taken. It also takes 60+ days from installment to receive commissions which doesn't strike to well with me. It actually makes me not trust the company as much. When the first opportunity arises for me to go, sell what I want, and be where I want to be, I WILL BE GONE, AND NEVER COMING BACK TO THIS INDUSTRY.

Advice to Management

Pay back the $155 taken from mileage. Pay commissions faster because I worked to hard to not receive them when accounts are installed.

"Route driver"

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Syracuse, NY

I worked at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work at your own pace

Cons

A lot of hours hard work

"Great training provided by a Great company to work for !!!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Scranton, PA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I just returned from a week long training session at our Corporate office. This was a world class training session put on by a world class company! UniFirst provides continuing education and training to all team partners and they provide the BEST training in the industry.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Superior training, great motivation, excellent employee incentives and benefits; keep up the good work!

UniFirst Response

Dec 5, 2017 – Sales Training Specialist

Thank you for your review! We take a lot of pride in our training programs and are thrilled to hear about your positive experience.