UniFirst Reviews | Glassdoor

UniFirst Reviews

Updated September 23, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • UniFirst has a fantastic sales training program, second to none (in 50 reviews)

• This company is a great company to work for (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Year 1 in any position if very difficult and will involve long hours (in 53 reviews)

• Nothing is easy for any outside sales rep position (in 39 reviews)

"Honest review"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, if you're coming out of college, interested in learning about sales, and have a crazy good work ethic, an outside sales rep at Unifirst might be a good first step. The pay and benefits are OK. Revised vacation policy is very good. Outstanding training program in which you communicate with trainers at the corporate level very often. Depending on your sales manager, your experience may be amazing, or may be miserable...I saw both.

Cons

The cons at UniFirst are many. First and most important, on a national scale, UniFirst is 2nd among national uniform and facility service providers. Number one is Cintas and I won't mince words, Cintas dominates the market I was in as well as numerous other markets in the United States. If you take a job at Unifirst, please be aware that there is a CRAZY emphasis on setting appointments. In fact, before I left, they created this insane contest where your location earned a score based on how many appointments you set. The logic behind it is that if you set appointments, you can pitch this VIP Cost Analysis Program to audit the uniform program at a company and hope that Cintas has screwed up, angering the customer enough to switch to UniFirst. The problem is 2 fold. First, the industry standard for contracts in the uniform rental business is 5 years. So, if a company is in year 1-2-3-4....there is virtually no chance they move until their contract is up. If a company is having major issues with Cintas, UniFirst wants you to assist that customer by helping them write letters to Cintas and help them fix their problems in the hope that when the contract is up, they will switch to UniFirst. But, for a sales rep, that's a TON of work for a sale that may or may not happen in 2-3 years and will seem like an incredible waste of time. Here is my last issue, selling at UniFirst is like selling in the 1960's. A full 12 hours of your 40+ hour work week will be in the office on a phone block trying to set appointments. PLEASE be prepared to get a TON of rejection, hung up on, yelled at, or simply ignored. When you aren't on the phone, the expectation is that you go door to door selling to as many businesses you can to try to set an appointment. It's wildly inefficient.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is now that Ron has passed away, it's time to do an internal scrub of your sales process. What worked for Aldo and then Ron, doesn't mean it works today. The lack of promotions outside of sponsoring a race car driver is killing sales reps. Statistics show that less than 2% of cold calls result in an appointment being set. Another statistic shows that customers do NOT want to be contacted by phone. Their preferred channel of communication is email, or snail mail. So, what is the point of spending 9 hours on a Monday or Friday pounding the phones? What is wrong with e-mailing prospects at UniFirst? If mail is the preferred communication, having them warm to the idea before a sales rep makes a call to them to set an appointments seems like a vastly better way to run the sales process.

UniFirst Response

Sep 19, 2017 – Sales Training Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We understand it can seem daunting Selling in a market that is Cintas heavy, which is exactly why we teach the processes that we do. Our industry has been around for... More

2. "IT Lead"

I have been working at UniFirst full-time

Pros

Great place to work and excellent work life balance.

Cons

None that I could think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing hours, pay, and benefits.

Cons

Very stick on attendance during your first 90 days

Advice to Management

Give some leeway to people when they need to get their sick child from daycare during their first 90 days

4. "Plant manager Baton Rouge La."

Former Employee - Plant Manager in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Plant Manager in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at UniFirst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment wonderful team atmosphere fast-paced, multitasking, great hours and outstanding benefits. If you're looking for analytical job this is your place. you will analyze everything from employees performance to utility bills it is a stats person's dream job. High recommend if your one of the few to get interview consider your self lucky and a elite candidate. Managment is alway looking of the growth of the company be ready to learn daily. Great corporate structure and corporate support also.

Cons

No cons to this job it very trans parent position. No need to be worried about anything negative with this Family operated company.

Advice to Management

Don't change anything this job is everything that the description said it would be

5. "UniFirst Houston"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

UniFirst is a great place to work overall. They have great training, holidays, and vacation plans. UniFirst also regularly promotes from within, and rewards those who produce results.

Cons

Every position here is extremely challenging in it's own right. If you wish to punch a clock, and not put any effort or heart into what you do this is not going to work for you.

6. "Working at Unifirst"

Current Employee - District Service Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unifirst is a structured, tenured corporation with a proud tradition of integrity and customer service pride. "Customer's for Life" philosophy.
    A company that puts the needs of its employees/families first.
    A work hard/play hard mentality.

Cons

The only down side is long hours.

Advice to Management

Continuously thinking of ways to motivate and propel its employees to succeed.

7. "Interesting company to work for"

I have been working at UniFirst full-time

Pros

Good work environment and room for growth

Cons

Nothing at this moment. Like any other workplace some issues but this is something you will find everywhere

8. "Family Culture"

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I wake up every morning going to work with my work family and love the culture that has changed in the last 2 years. I don't have to worry about not getting paid, plant closing or negativity in the workplace. I love this company.

Cons

Early Mornings but we get the work done while it's cool outside.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward with this beautiful plant and continue to show your love for our Team Partners. I have always been able to come in and talk to upper management with the open door policy and the show true compassion for all of us.

9. "Current employee"

Current Employee - District Service Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family oriented company with great benefits. Always improving. Great culture.

Cons

expect a fast paced environment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! This is a great place to work.

10. "Awesome Comapny to work for and great benefits"

Current Employee - Assistant Plant Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Plant Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company to work for , very employee oriented, Great Hours

Cons

Don't see any cons with my job

Advice to Management

None at this time , everything is going great