UniFirst Sales Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 14, 2017

Sales Consultant

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • UniFirst has a fantastic sales training program, second to none (in 49 reviews)

• This is a great company to work for or I wouldn't have stayed here for the last 20 years (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Year 1 in any position if very difficult and will involve long hours (in 52 reviews)

• Nothing is easy for any outside sales rep position (in 38 reviews)

1. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Titusville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Titusville, FL

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management team with endless resources to succeed.
    Extensive and ongoing training program.
    Great compensation as well

Cons

Nothing i can think of

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing to help us.

2. "Outside Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Consultant in Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Consultant in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have spent the majority of my career life in sales and customer service and have not been able to find the ideal balance of fair, caring management, work-life balance, a base salary PLUS commission and training that is nationally recognized. I have found that at UniFirst Corporation.

This is an excellent company to work for that cares for it's customers as well as their employees. The training is intense and the hours are long at first, but all worth it.

Cons

The only con would be if you're not self motivated. You are out in the field 3 days per week.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

"Not what I expected..."

Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training, great team/family environment. Very supportive management. Very good position for starting a sales career.

Cons

Brutal industry, high turnover, high pressure. Be prepared to work your tail off.

Strict corporate policies and micromanagement. Below market pay. Inability to control service level of accounts. (no account management)

No residual commission.

Advice to Management

Less micromanagement!! Hire talented people and trust them to do their job without constant corporate oversight.

Focus more on service!! I work in a smaller market, and word gets out quickly. If you can't live up to the service level your sales professionals pitch, you will continue to miss future opportunities. You can't expect to have high-performing drivers when they're paid less than most of our competitors.

Similarly, don't continue to shave sales professional's territories so the managers can hit quota easier. While I understand the logic of "leaving no stone unturned", this policy limits the potential income a sales rep can obtain and thus makes it difficult to keep elite sales-pros at the company.

UniFirst Response

May 5, 2017 – Sales Training Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We understand the uniform industry can be tough and very competitive, and it is not for everybody. Perhaps you can utilize our Open Door Policy and have conversation with... More

4. "Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are many options for uniform suppliers and I truly believe that UniFirst has the best name on the street for work apparel and facility service product needs. As a Service Company, I can guarantee opportunities will occur and our UniFirst Family will drop the ball but what separates UniFirst from its competition is the fact that the UniFirst Family Cares and we will pick up the ball the fastest to get the Customer back on track. That's why I have been with UniFirst for almost 20 Years in the Sales Department.

Cons

Lets not forget about FUN... Sometimes we get so involved in numbers, data, and in house requirements that we forget about getting out in the Field with our Team / Family Partners just to have some fun enjoying what it is that we do.

Advice to Management

Concern - - Please look at the compensation package (pay) for our Office Team Partners. They do a tremendous amount of work to ensure our Location moves in the right direction and their pay unfortunately averages of what a part-time Fast Food Joint pays.

UniFirst Response

Jan 30, 2017 – Sales Training Specialist

First let us say thank you for your many years of service. We agree that no organization is perfect, but what really counts is how you handle issues when they arise, and here at UniFirst, we strive... More

5. "Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Waterford, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Waterford, PA

I worked at UniFirst (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Branch Manager in Meadville is an awesome guy and was a pleasure to work for him.

Cons

The commission structure needs some tweaking.

6. "Top Notch Training"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant

Pros

World class sales training. Realistic timelines and expectations. You must be driven but you will be rewarded.

Cons

The hiring process is lengthy which can be a con for the employee. However, I believe this is indicative of UniFirst making sure they hire the right people.

Advice to Management

Make sure the training steps are kept in sequence. When not in order, they lose some value.

7. "Great training"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at UniFirst (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent start or intermediate outside sales position. The training and support are top notch.

Cons

High expectations but sizeable rewards

Advice to Management

Focus more energy on struggling and new sales reps. Let the tenured successful reps thrive operating in their own manner.

"Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Lynchburg, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at UniFirst (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers (Sales Representatives) were good people. Meant well, but got beat down within 6 months.

Cons

Micro managed!! Expected to work 10 hrs a day and then perform research and all other administrative work after that. Realistically expect to work 60+hrs per week. At $36,400 salary, you can figure that out. Commissions take 3 months to get paid in most cases. You will spend at least two half days in the office, so take in account how far you commute. In my case it was an hour each way. 8 hrs in the office twice a week and your still expected to meet activities goals. To do this, you will compromise your personal integrity. It is a numbers game you won't win. 70% of the sales force have less than a year in their position. 14 reps out of over 1000 made Presidents Club in FY '16. 50% of those were in Pa and Tx. Your quota is the same no matter what location you work in. Casper Wy and Dallas Tx reps have the same accountability. Enough said? It takes 6 weeks to receive cell phone reimbursement per month. It is not a family environment. Do allot of research into this company and you will seek employment else where.

Advice to Management

Clean house and start over. Place realistic goals per location based on "accurate" data. In Lynchburg Va, you have over stated the opportunities in every territory. I was told I would make $85,000 a year. It turned out to be in the low 50's. Lower level managers GM's down are not going to stand up and report the truth to corporate. They are trying to survive at the sales force expense. It can't be 100% the reps fault for the companies failures. 1 Sales Mgr made Presidents Club.

9. "Unlimited potential"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at UniFirst (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have a unlimited potential to earn money. Your hard work and hustle can easily put you in the six figure income within a year. You have the opportunity to basically set your own salary

Cons

Like any other job there are always some hiccups, the economy has a influence on your sales

Advice to Management

Think we need more local advertising to promote our company. Upgrade our image

10. "I'm glad I choose UniFirst and UniFirst choose me!!"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Consultant in Corpus Christi, TX
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Consultant in Corpus Christi, TX

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture. The company really cares about their employees. Great benefits as well. Large company with a local mentality.

Cons

If I had to choose a con, I would say technology...in some areas they are a little behind the times.