UniFocus Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Samuel Heymann

1. "Executives truly care"

Current Employee - Survey Technician in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Survey Technician in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at UniFocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- A lot of experience to be gained
    - Work from home 2 days a week
    - Healthcare for individual is 80% paid for in the first year.. 90% paid for in the 2nd year and 100% after two full years of working here. I'm unsure if this is for all or for two of the three available plans.
    - Owner, Mark Heymann, goes around the building and creates smalltalk with everyone
    - Awesome co-workers in my department.
    - My department is not micromanaged
    - Creative freedom is infinite
    - All around great atmosphere with a lot of company events to attend.

Cons

- Some meetings are redundant and should be optional
    - Some departments (including mine) are stretched real thin in terms of workload vs # of employees

Advice to Management

Relax the dress code even more. If we are supposed to be a world class tech company, then we should have similar dress code rules as other world class tech giants that promote individuality. The focus should be on the product created and not how we look while doing it.

2. "Application Support Department"

Former Employee - Applications Support Specialist in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Applications Support Specialist in Carrollton, TX

I worked at UniFocus (Less than a year)

Pros

-Friendly employees and management
    -Pay is decent and they offer benefits
    -No micromanagement
    -Work from home is available for 2 days each week as long as the department remains productive

Cons

-Employees need to be better trained so that they can be more productive

-Not a lot of negative things to say about this position.

Advice to Management

Management is great. Employees seem to be happy with the looser management style where someone isn't breathing down their necks all day. Management encourages employees to work together to find solutions to problems rather than needing management permission to take action on something.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO

I have been working at UniFocus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees at UniFocus are treated as assets, not resources. The company has excellent career building and professional development programs and it's a place where committed, hard working individuals can really grow and excel. Growth and results here are funded, recognized, and rewarded.

One of the greatest things about this company is how committed the management is to the overall health of the organization. I can honestly say that the people I work with and work under care about each other both in the office and outside the office. We have a great work/home life balance and the management is very accommodating when something comes up in your personal life. You are expected to work hard while you're here, but you don't work crazy hours.

Cons

This is not a place for incompetence. Professional growth and results are expected from every member of our staff and some people simply aren't interested in keeping up.

Though we do get a lot of green field projects, we also have a large legacy code base that is over 10 years old and that can present some challenges.

"Anyone else think it's weird they have 5 - 5 star reviews on the same day?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX

I worked at UniFocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Product but slowly falling behind. The staff is truly hard-working. Most employees come from the service industry.

Cons

Leadership has no grasp on engagement and keeping their employees motivated. Organization is ran like a company would in the past. (Yelling and cursing is the management style). They do not value or coach their employees. Since December 2015 - 9 people have left UniFocus and only 1 of them was allowed to work out their 2 weeks when offered. They will not pay you 2 weeks if you offer. Most if not all employees are bullied and work in fear of losing their job. This company spends 50% of it's week in meetings. (Meetings to have Meetings)

Advice to Management

Listen to the engagement surveys especially since you sell them. Limit useless meetings. Lead through vision and values. Take World Class meetings seriously. Look at how other organizations run their companies.

UniFocus Response

Feb 22, 2016 – VP Software Development

I do not find it weird that there are multiple 5 star reviews on that same day. I recall the day very clearly when we actually noticed Glassdoor and saw that there were reviews from former employees ... More

5. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Business Advisor in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Business Advisor in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at UniFocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of challenges and the freedom to create resolutions
    New ideas are welcomed regardless of tenure
    The CEO is very visible and knows what is going on for the most part

Cons

Very small company so not much room for advancement
    Exec Team is not aware of a lot of the day to day requirements of some job functions and create a pretty heavy workload

"Growing Company w/ Opportunity for Personal Growth"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO

I have been working at UniFocus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Professional development lunches: Interested in learning a new technology or introducing one to your co-workers? Every Tuesday / Thursday we get together for an optional meet up to discuss new ideas, or work on projects to keep ourselves up to date with things that WE want to learn.
    * Book club: Once a week we meet during business hours to discuss a book or video series that we've agreed to read / watch. The discussions are fun and stimulating.
    * Push to learn: We're always encouraged to continue learning, both at and outside of work. It's one of the first places I've worked at that feels like they genuinely want you to better yourself. Better employees, better company, right?
    * Your ideas matter: Have an idea to bring in a new technology? Propose it to your peers, and it may actually get adopted.
    * Team building activities and outings: Go-kart racing, lunch basketball sessions at the park, etc.
    * Large focus on test driven development
    * Education / conference budget for developers and quality assurance staff: We are allotted an annual budget for attending conferences, bringing in consultants to help mentor us in different areas, or taking classes.
    * Great work / life balance: Some employers would gladly work you 80+ hrs a week. Although we have enough work to easily put in 100+ hr weeks, this is never the case. Naturally, there are crunch times, but generally, it is encouraged that you take time for yourself and live your life in a healthy, happy manner.

Cons

* Small development staff can sometimes lead to hectic deadlines

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employee's feedback and act on it. It provides a feeling of ownership in the company and the work that's being done there.

7. "Application Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Applications Support Specialist in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Support Specialist in Carrollton, TX

Pros

Friendly Environment. Never have I ever worked for a company where I was on a first name basis with the CEO, as I am here. The non-work-related competitions are fun and drive camaraderie and team building.

Cons

Can only wear shorts on Friday between April and September.

Advice to Management

Please keep doing what you are doing. The management at this company is helpful and you can really tell they care about their employees and their products.

8. "Exciting company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at UniFocus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are valued and management genuinely cares. Relatively stress free environment, and always open to new ideas. Balance of work and home is great. Great investment into employees.

Cons

Slightly lower pay and benefits than competing companies.

9. "Growing company with a lot of opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at UniFocus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Your voice and ideas get attention. Knowledge is shared throughout departments

Cons

Pay is on the lower end.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Carrollton, TX

Pros

Unifocus is a great place to work if you have the industry experience and expertise. Consutants are given a lot of flexibility to exercise their creativity. If you work well with little or no supervision - then this is the place to be. The company is growing and is very receptive to new ideas. The work environment is very supportive and flexible. But best to bring your A game.

Cons

This is not an entry level company. There is little structure or training for a newbie.

Advice to Management

Unifocus is on the right track. There are a lot of improvements to be made - and management is being very responsive to all suggestions. The tone is always positive and supportive. Keep up the great job!