Unico American Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 8, 2017

3.4
Cary L. Cheldin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work:"

Current Employee - Sales in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Unico American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture of this company is great and everyone I work with is amazing. Management is open to new ideas and it is clear by the attention and focus on re-branding, core values and overall direction towards the future of the company. I would definitely recommend this company to a friend.

Cons

I would say that some of the internal systems could use an upgrade, but this too has been addressed by the new direction headed up by the new IT director.

2. "Great changes for a great company"

I have been working at Unico American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company, like many that have been around for 40+ years, got stuck in, "that's the way it has always been done" mind set. But I have witnessed huge steps forward over the last 8 months, adopting a new values statement that seems to permeate the ethos of upper management. There has been a push employee engagement, and ownership of actions and successes. The staff is second to none, it really says something that employees have been here for 20+,30+ years. My small staff has an average tenure here of 9+ years.

Cons

Some of the Tech is still dated, but that will also be changing in the near future.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what we have been seeing for the last year, continue to empower your employees and help them drive the company to more personal and professional success.

"Take it as you will"

Former Employee - Commercial Underwriter in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Commercial Underwriter in Calabasas, CA

I worked at Unico American full-time

Pros

The people were nice. And it at least appears to be a company that does most of it's promoting from within. Having said that, I just got fired after working there for 2 months. My manager said there was no issue with my performance. But that I was just on my cell phone too much. What? You fire someone for this without giving them a written warning? Or how about any kind of a warning! Let alone a formal one! Keep in mind that during the last 3 weeks I worked there, it was super slow. I was a commercial underwriter for the trucking division. I spent my time reviewing renewal policies which made up maybe 5% of the departments workload. There was 5 of us, and the other underwriters; who were all seasoned employees would work on new business. I rarely took a phone call while on the work flow. The fact is I had other important stuff going on in my life; so I would periodically check to see if I had received a relevant email or text. But not to the extent where it was compromising my work! As I said, they had no issue with my work performance.

Cons

If they don't want you to work for them anymore, they'll put whatever they need to on paper so it's official. Apparently it doesn't matter how relevant it is. I was so excited to work for this company. Now I'm crushed and disgusted with their lack of integrity.

Advice to Management

When you have an issue with someone, you let them know about it so that they have a chance to correct their behavior. You don't sit them down in HR and explain to them that they're being terminated prior to letting the employee know about the issue!

"Great coworkers"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Unico American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

All of the coworkers in my department were wonderful to work with. There was a strong team environment and good department leadership.

Cons

No formalized training program. Lack of objective evaluation criteria. Lack of disclosure re: basis of promotions, raise reviews, etc. Executive management is overly involved in day to day operations in a manner which limits the effectiveness of the various departments.

Advice to Management

It is all about trust - and that is a two way street. Quality employees are difficult to come by, and difficult to retain. Employees need to trust that the management will treat them with respect, fairness and integrity. Senior management needs to hire well, and then trust employees to do their jobs, instead of micromanaging.

"Not a company for ambitious and driven employees"

I worked at Unico American full-time

Pros

If you are one to just do what you are told, and not one to share ideas or innovation - this is the place for you. Day to day work is monotonous. The only plus is that very friendly people work there. Great Work / life balance.

Cons

Extreme lack of trust between employees and management.
    If you would like to share any ideas, it is frowned upon.
    Zero communication between management and employees (meetings are rare)
    If you become one of the "favorites", then you will have a shot at a promotion or good treatment.
    Many silos between company departments.
    No positive reinforcement or celebration of achievements
    Lack of company values

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees as they may have great ideas
    Promote company interaction and open communication so everything isn't a "secret"
    Create company values that employees and management should live and breathe.

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Claims Examiner Trainee in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner Trainee in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Unico American full-time

Pros

While I no longer work for Unico American, I can honestly say it was a great job and I am thankful for the experience. I left the company due to a position opening that better fit my career goals, not because of anything to do with the company itself.

Pros
    -great work/life balance
    -HR is very helpful + understanding
    -long-time employees = loyalty to the company
    -knowledgeable employees
    -great company culture
    -fair compensation
    -great benefits

Cons

I don't have any cons to report. If there was ever any issue or suggestion, I felt very comfortable going to HR and the department manager and felt that I was listened to.

7. "Strong Management, Hands on experience, Great Employees, Excellent Compensation"

Former Employee - Claims in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Claims in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Unico American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had the pleasure of working for this company, and had to leave to pursue another opportunity in an unrelated field.

Having said that, I remember looking at this GlassDoor page prior to my hiring at Crusader and feeling some hesitations. However, after having spent a few years at Crusader I felt compelled to write a more accurate review.

Crusader is a really unique insurance company to work for. You have the opportunity to work alongside every facet of an insurance operation. You get a deeper understanding of the ways in which claims, underwriting and marketing all work together.

In addition, management recognizes hard workers, and these employees’ efforts do not go unnoticed. There is a huge opportunity for personal growth here as well as professional development.

The President of Crusader is hands-on and engaged in the operation. He is genuinely interested in his employees reaching their full potential. Additionally, everyone in leadership/managerial roles is approachable and extremely knowledgeable.

This was and remains a great place to work and leaving was one of the hardest decisions I have ever made.

Cons

If you do not intend to work hard, you probably won't do well here. The Company is looking for motivated people, and you can tell that by the people that have worked here for 5, 10, 15, 20, or more years.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Do not work here"

Pros

SLOW so you can pretty much do anything you want online as long as management doesn't catch you. But they will and then you'll get fired.

Cons

Terrible communication from management to employees which is then seen as terrible communication by Unico employees to the customers. Inconsistent job duties and approval levels. You never really know what you are supposed to do because it changes in the next 5 seconds and you're stupid for not knowing. Employees are allowed to disrespect customers and each other. Everyone just concentrates on trying to figure out the CEO's constantly changing mind. And yes, he must review nearly EVERYTHING that the company underwrites. He is really the only underwriter.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you actually want them to be there. Give them consistent guidelines and communicate any change WELL in advance. And give them some authority, make them feel less like data entering robots and more like underwriters. Promote those who work hard and have good relationships with the clients, not those who spend their entire day talking on the phone or texting while work should be done.