Unidine Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Unidine President & CEO Richard Schenkel
Richard Schenkel

Pros
  • Working for a company with a fresh food approach, room for growth, great staff morale (in 13 reviews)

• This is a great company if you are a person who shows value, slackers don't last (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high turnover in upper management (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours which are offset by unlimited room for growth (in 4 reviews)

1. "GREAT company"

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Boston, MA

I have been working at Unidine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, fun workplace, lot's of talent and a fast moving environment. Things actually get done here and everyone is eager to try out new ideas. My manager is awesome and cares about Work/Life balance. I have worked for the big 3 and Unidine is the best. This is a great company if you are a person who shows value, slackers don't last.

Cons

Benefits could be better but they aren't a huge company yet, the pay is generous so it makes up for the added cost.

2. "The Abundance of Fake (Positive) Reviews On This Site Is Laughable!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Unidine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are very few if any positive things about working for this company. Sub Stabdard / below market pay, extremely long hours for salaried staff, miserable and paranoid culture. I've been gone 1 year and wouldn't recognize 90% of the home office staff if I returned. Most have quit and left for better jobs - multiple Directors of Benefits, Recruiting, Finance, Marketing, Human Resources, Payroll, Supply Chain - and of course the army of administrative people that leave in droves.

Cons

Some of the highest turnover in the industry - regardless of what the comments on this site read! HR "Strong arming" people and current employees to write positive reviews to better position the company. Bonuses are never paid as the company manages to miss revenue targets every year, even as it rapidly expands. The fear of being fired / terminated permeates the place. Little or no training and investment in employees - facilities are horrible places to work for the most part.

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE TO WORK AT UNIDINE - GO ON LINKEDIN AND ASK A FORMER EMPLOYEE. WHAT YOU ARE READING HERE (NEARLY ALL OF THE POSITIVE COMMENTS) ARE ALL LIES.

Advice to Management

You will never truly succeed until you treat your employees better than trash!

3. "Great Company, Great People and More"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Unidine full-time

Pros

- Strong emphasis on values & culture.
    - Amazing and Talented people/teams.
    - Passionate & very involved CEO.
    - Fast paced and rapidly growing company, with lots of opportunity for professional development. (Granted, this isn’t for everyone).
    - Fun place to work! Seriously.
    - Flexible schedules are available for those who need them - great work life balance.
    - Driven, Approachable and Friendly senior management team.
    - Conscious emphasis on equal pay.

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

5. "Not Great"

Current Employee - Dietary Aide in Sykesville, MD
    Current Employee - Dietary Aide in Sykesville, MD

I have been working at Unidine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Long breaks
    Easy job
    Good schedule

Cons

Management is terrible
    Very unorganized
    Unequal Pay
    Work alone a lot

6. "My experience has been alright. The company has great ideas but they do not fit each facility well."

Current Employee - Registered Dietitian in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Registered Dietitian in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Unidine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in the schedule when working in long term care. Good resources. Decent pay. Network of dietitians to help you.

Cons

Sometimes you can get taken advantage of. There can be limited help for coverage at times. The insurance is not the best.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Corporate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Unidine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It has be a pleasure to work for Unidine for over 2 years now. The company has given me the opportunity to grow in my position and empowers all of their team members. I have learned more and have been given more opportunities in the past 2 years than with my previous employer. I would highly recommend this company!

Cons

I have no nothing negative to say about Unidine.

Advice to Management

None

8. "Catering Manager"

Current Employee - Catering Manager in Charlestown, MA
    Current Employee - Catering Manager in Charlestown, MA

Pros

Cons

Expected responsibilities for role should be more clearly defined

Advice to Management

More detailed job descriptions

9. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Unidine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is rewarding and there is a strong focus on culture. Orientation, held at the corporate office, is helpful and enlightening and a great way to get to know the company. Fresh food approach.

Cons

There is turnover, which is expected at any company. It can also be very fast paced, which isn't for everyone.

"Run away as fast as you can!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

co-workers are awesome. They hire great people but treat them like dirt.

Cons

Every aspect of working at Unidine was a horrible experience right down to the mental abuse. The fact that this company is still in business with the level of mis-management that's going on is shocking.The owner of the company is a crazy man who's only concern is making sure everyone knows he is in charge. I have never seen a human being with such disregard for other people, it's almost like he is not human. I would say that any of the positive reviews on here were put in by the HR department because there isnt a person in the entire company who wont agree with this review. they are just to afraid to say for fear of retribution. well, maybe some new employees that just havent been here long enough to feel the mistreatment, horrible pay and unrealistic expections impressed on the employees. There is no care for families and people are fired for no good reason at the most in opportune times. To the crazy man at the helm, no one is worth the piece of gum stuck to the bottom of his shoes and he truly wants to make sure you know where you stand with him. He has humiliated and devasted people to the point of despair and ruined families with his cruel selfish ways. Yes, people have even died due to his uncaring, horrible treatment and total disregard for humanity. that is as much as I will elaborate on that right now but trust me, it is very true.

Advice to Management

Manage, not rule! practice what you preach. The daily line we are made to do is the most hypocritical thing I have ever seen and such a lie. Turnover, out of control always. Appreciate the people that are working hard so you can have a ridiculous pay check.

Unidine Response

Dec 28, 2016 – Unidine Administrator

It is disappointing to read this review as it is not reflective of our employee retention trends or the company culture. Our turnover rates are actually well below industry average and we attract ... More

"Great opportunities if you are good at follow-the-leader."

Former Employee - Dining Services Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Dining Services Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Unidine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, Unique Programs, Fresh Food - From Scratch Cooking, Orientation in Boston, Relocation Opportunities, As a director at a facility you can always help in the kitchen

Cons

Unqualified Chefs, Good-Ole-Boys Club mentality, Forget weekends & holidays off - Imaginary bonus program - Abusive facility environments where you will be called "stupid" and have to listen to Executive Directors complain about Unidine's inaccurate MCR reports

Advice to Management

Live what you preach. UNIque DINing is not using cookie cutting each facility.