Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Reviews | Glassdoor

Charles L. Rice

1. "USUHS Review"

Current Employee - Program Support Specialist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Program Support Specialist in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Great Place to work!. Lots of diversity and opportunities to grow professionally

Cons

Commute within the Montgomery Co. area

2. "Military Environment"

Former Employee - Senior Network Administrator in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Network Administrator in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved it as a service member, worked with a great group of people.

Cons

I as in the service so I really didn't have any dislike with my job there.

Advice to Management

None

3. "POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW, BIOCHEMISTRY"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow, Biochemistry in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow, Biochemistry in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere and good location.

Cons

Not very career specific and a bit slow.

5. "New"

Current Employee - Director in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Director in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (More than 5 years)

Pros

Highly professional environment with skilled staff.

Cons

Parking can be challenging at times.

Advice to Management

None

"Overall, USU is a GREAT Place to Work..."

Current Employee - Professor in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Professor in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Hard-money, fairly competitive salary - Very little pressure to obtain grants - Work is highly valued by leadership - Flexible working hours - Teaching load is reasonable (though highly variable by department) - Students are top-notch (particularly the medical and graduate students) - Small, very nice campus - Close proximity to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center and NIH (across the street) give the potential for USU to be a world-class medical and research center (it's getting there!)

Cons

- Lots of bureaucratic red tape (things move very slowly because it's a combination of medicine, military, and government; the IRB and Human Resources offices are the worst offenders) - No cost of living or merit pay raises for several years (makes keeping up with AAMC averages very difficult, even if one starts at or above the mean) - Parking and traffic can be difficult (lots of faculty don't have parking passes and have to take Metro) - Office space is limited (many associate and full professors have to share an office with one or more faculty members; new building is planned though) - Unlike many medical school, currently no tuition benefits for faculty or their family members

Advice to Management

- Eliminate some of the red tape and "flatten" the organization (i.e., we need fewer administrators and more faculty to teach and conduct research) - Streamline hiring practices and re-institute cost of living and merit pay increases - Work to keep faculty compensation packages competitive with local medical schools in order to attract and keep the best people

"Nice people but too much red tape"

Former Employee - Research Assistant Professor in Maynardville, TN
    Former Employee - Research Assistant Professor in Maynardville, TN

Pros

Nice people with great work ethic. The students were for the most part the best I've ever encountered. Very dedicated students and the faculty were as well. I participated in a 22 week grant writing class with a great instructor and submitted an RO1 grant to NIH. As a recent PhD graduate, it was a great experience and I learned a lot about how to write and structure my grants.

Cons

It's a military university and being that I was a civilian assistant professor, it was difficult to feel connected to faculty that were military. The MD faculty felt they could do research, even though they didn't have a clue how to do research. There was a huge rift between the older MD faculty members and the PhD faculty members.

Advice to Management

Make the processes for obtaining military data faster. Waiting 18 months to find out if I have access to military data is unacceptable.

8. "Student Life"

Current Employee - Ph D Graduate Student in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Ph D Graduate Student in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. In a good lab, funding is not an issue, Great facilities in the campus.People are frindly and helpful

Cons

Health Insurance for student, not a typical student life, not a great place to stay for a long time.

9. "Good place to stay"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Stable position, good benefits, nice people

Cons

Repetitive tasks, no really exciting job

Advice to Management

none

"Triple bureaucratic management structure bogs down everything"

Former Employee - Faculty in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Faculty in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable government job. Good place to get a medical education without having to go into debt.

Cons

Poor leadership at the top, and many layers of middle manager types who slow progress. This is because there is an academic hierarchy, a federal hierarchy, and a military hierarchy. This organizational structure creates lots and lots of waste and inefficiency

Advice to Management

Fewer Deans would be better

11. "Just too awesome place to work !"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best environment to work and learn many things. Very easy accessible to metro train or bus. Campus shuttles are present for easy transportation. Beautiful campus !

Cons

Oppurtunity to get to work is very rare, since it is usually only permanent residents or citizens who can work, unless and until one is highly recommended by someone currently working there. However international students do get admitted for their higher education.