Unilever Reviews in Port Sunlight, England | Glassdoor

Unilever Port Sunlight Reviews

Updated May 2, 2017

Port Sunlight, England (UK)

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Unilever CEO Paul Polman
Paul Polman

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance might be tough (in 161 reviews)

• Matrix structure can slow down decision making as does need to build consensus for all major decisions (in 89 reviews)

"Excellent employer"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Port Sunlight, England (UK)
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Port Sunlight, England (UK)

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great and flexible working environment, emphasis on good work/life balance. No 8 in the world of the best companies to work for according to linked in..

Salary ranges are median to the industry but there are really good benefits in the form of share schemes, onsite catering, onsite gym, secure parking, pension, healthcare and discounts on various goods. A great place to work and also highly recommended if you're a graduate or thinking of an apprenticeship. It's an amazing place to work with lots of room to step upwards or sideways in your career - you just need the hunger and the ambition to get there.

Cons

It goes with the territory with most large companies, depending on the tower you're placed in - there can be some politics to deal with especially if you're heading towards middle management.

Advice to Management

Generally I've had great experience with management - however, there is a culture of "you must deliver to your development target" in some cases where it's clearly not beneficial or relevant and where it's not been fully thought out. We just need to be brave enough to say "that was OK at the time but things have changed" or "this is just not relevant anymore".

Apr 3, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and experiences related to your previous role with us. It's great to see such detailed feedback, including a number of positives of your time here ... More

"Great potential, however incredibly slow and indecisive."

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Port Sunlight, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Port Sunlight, England (UK)

I have been working at Unilever as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

It very much depends on which department you work for on what pros you get.

Because Unilever is so big, different teams have very different styles of management. Head Office is very different to R&D sites, thats why its hard to figure out the truth when reading reviews like this. From my experience (R&D) the people I was surrounded by were fantastic, we were a small nimble team doing interesting things, it was fairly easy going environment, aside from the fairly drab offices.

Cons

A very hierarchical short sighted system. You can work on genuinely innovative and great consumer products that will make business sense, but someone in marketing might not like it based on personal opinion (not rational), and its years work gone.

There are huge disconnects between departments so work is repeated or miscommunicated. Moral is currently low with contracts being cut short, budgets being cut, bureaucracy, training halted and a lot of uncertainty in the air. There aren't really any genuine perks to office life either, the buildings aren't inspringing at all.

But again it depends on which department you work for on how the current climate effects you.

May 4, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for your review and feedback. We appreciate all comments - both positive and constructive. It's good to see you highlight the people and working culture as particular ... More

3. "Forward thinking, responsible company"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Port Sunlight, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Port Sunlight, England (UK)

I worked at Unilever as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team work and communication across departments
    Take good care of your occupational health, even if a contractor
    A lot of respect for the heritage of the company and the values with regard to caring for staff
    Across the site there was a huge presence of advertisements promoting more open communication about Mental health - I was impressed with the prominence of this message across the site.

Cons

The team I worked in was rapidly changing and was lacking a bit of direction - you had to carve out your own niche to have a positive impact, otherwise you were left behind.

Advice to Management

none.

"Unilever R&D"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Sunlight, England (UK)

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The role I currently have offers a great work/ life balance, as I have a young family, this is the most important thing to me. I've always had good training and good development opportunities.

Cons

The pay isn't great, though you do get a benefit package to accompany you salary.

Dec 23, 2016 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback and it's great to see that you mention work/life balance and development opportunities as particular positives. We'll ensure your comment ... More

5. "Great Place to Work"

Former Contractor - Senior SAP Project Manager in Port Sunlight, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Senior SAP Project Manager in Port Sunlight, England (UK)

I worked at Unilever as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional Structured customer focus with respect for contractors. They try to do the right thing most of the time.

Cons

Not a high payer
    some parts of the IT organisation are overloaded & stressful. Some are ok and were not stressful to work for.

Advice to Management

If you don't want to pay top rates, then create a less stressful environment & should appreciation of your workforce. I was happy to work for less for the pleasant worklife balance

"Unfair compensation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Sunlight, England (UK)

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Global company, some degree of flexible working. Very broad brand portfolio can give the opportunity of working on many different products.

Cons

Pay rises non existent for low to medium level workers, morale on site therefore very low. Shocking level of hypocrisy with the focus on equality of the USLP being conveniently overlooked when it comes to the company's own poorest employees, whilst the CEO is frequently rewarded with 20%+ increases on his multi-million pay deal.

Advice to Management

I have been working in R&D for over four years and have become increasingly frustrated with the company over this time. Productivity and morale would be much improved if respect and appreciation was shown to lower band employees, e.g. by providing them with (at the very least) cost of living pay rises. Many employees in the UK are drawn to Unilever because of the legacy of Lord Lever, a kind and fair man. He would be appalled by current work and pay restrictions imposed on employees, particularly in light of the increasingly positive financial results the company is reporting.

Jul 1, 2016 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank your for your feedback - we appreciate all comments. Firstly, we'd like to suggest setting up a meeting with your HR Business Partner to talk through your concerns. We'll also ensure to ... More

7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Packaging Technologist in Port Sunlight, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Packaging Technologist in Port Sunlight, England (UK)

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Agile Working
    Sustainable focus
    Great career chances

Cons

Highly competative
    Nothing happens quickly
    Constant drive for faster delivery

Advice to Management

Project timelines are set out for a reason. Compressing them causes problems!

Jan 21, 2016 – The Unilever Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your feedback - we really appreciate it. It's pleasing to see that you mention agile working, our sustainable focus and career opportunities as positives of your experience so far ... More

8. "Contractor Port Sunlight"

Former Contractor - Contractor in Port Sunlight, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Contractor in Port Sunlight, England (UK)

I worked at Unilever as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, excellent support, good links with other sites and academic partners, great food and cafeteria facilities (complete with pool table).

Cons

Too many cooks can spoil the broth! Beware of people who jump on the bandwagon with slightly dumb suggestions that some poor schmuck is going to have to deal with.

"Great Culture"

Former Employee - Industrial Designer in Port Sunlight, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Industrial Designer in Port Sunlight, England (UK)

I worked at Unilever (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, working with some of the words biggest brands. Unilever have a real trust in their employees so the tasks are challenging and responsibility impressive

Cons

Good career progression but not in my particular department at that point in time

Advice to Management

Works pretty well as it is, good feedback system

Dec 4, 2015 – The Unilever Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for leaving a review of your previous role with us. It's great to see that you highlighted a number of positives, including the culture and trust placed on members of the team. We hope ... More

10. "Unilever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Sunlight, England (UK)

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work in the factory in port sunlight brilliant pay good hours brilliant atmosphere all round good place to work

Cons

Just having to do 12 hour shifts and the work can be quite monotonous and tiring but that's a job isn't it

Advice to Management

More communication to the people lower down the chain also more opportunities to progress would be good

Dec 7, 2015 – The Unilever Talent Team

Hi. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review of your current role with us. It's great to see that you mention a number of positives - including the brilliant atmosphere at the Port ... More

Showing 20 of 2,866 reviews