Unilever Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "OK place to work"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Burlington, VT

I worked at Unilever full-time

Pros

Always something new to work on.

Cons

Engineering management structure keep changing always in doubt of next project.

Aug 18, 2017 – The Talent Team

Thank you for your review and feedback. We'll ensure it is passed on to the respective teams. We hope your new role is proving successful and we wish you all the best.

2. "Unilever is a company that you can only get a job there if you know someone already there who manages people..."

Former Contractor - Supply Chain Analyst in Trumbull, CT
    Former Contractor - Supply Chain Analyst in Trumbull, CT

I worked at Unilever as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They promote a well rounded background of skills. Often you see people who have done accounting, customer service, material planning, logistics, and sales across their value chain. Each position you stay in it at min 12-18 months depending on supervisors discretion. I find this to be their best and worst policy.

Cons

Favoritism and politics are a real problem here. Thats true of any company but with larger companies its worse. People in power think they are untouchable, questionable ethics, always about who has more pull up high to override a decision. They value more about an educational degree than relative experience. In their eyes, 20 years in a relative management postion with no college degree is less valuable than 2 years experience with a bachelors. I was passed over multiple full time positions my background matched because of this. It sure felt like it. Maybe they didnt want to pay the finders fee from the temp agency, who knows. I had positive recommendations from management too that vouched with the hiring staff. Still nothing. Gave up and concidered myself lucky. I got used, overworked, and thrown away once they no longer needed me.

Relies on temp contract workers with good skill sets and background to improve process in departments with the potential of a full time position. To cut costs of adding new employee, the temp TRAINS an existing full time employee who came from another department internally so there is no need for the company to add head count with you.

In addition to the 'best and worst policy' i mentioned above, as a result there are few solid experts in the departments, long term projects drag on because you can be allowed to transfer to another department, leaving the project to essentially start from scratch with a new person having to learn about it. A common side effect of this policy is the middle management is often gutted every few years where people are fired or moved around while director/executive leadership remains relatively unchanged.

Advice to Management

Temp contractors are treated unequally to full time employees. If you promote internally, dont forget the people who cleaned up your mess of an organization instead of kicking a hard worker to the curb. I certainly wouldnt recommend anyone to work here unless their was a dump truck of money in it for them!

Aug 14, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for your review and feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to relay a number of points - including the well rounded nature of your role and training. We will ensure your... More

3. "Production"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Unilever as a contractor

Pros

Good money and easy work

Cons

No benefits No room for advancement

Advice to Management

Please make everyone fulltime , because y'all make us temps feel useless sometimes

Aug 11, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your comments, including your points around benefits and advancement, and will ensure they are passed on to the respective teams.

4. "Assistant Manager"

Pros

The company offers really good benefits

Cons

In my experience, there is too much bureaucracy

Aug 11, 2017 – The Talent Team

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and we'll ensure they are passed on to the team.

"Location Strategy"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Trumbull, CT
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Trumbull, CT

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A good work/life balance, blah, blah

Cons

evaporation of an IT presence in US

Aug 10, 2017 – The Talent Team

6. "Material supplier"

I have been working at Unilever full-time

Pros

It was very diverse in the people who finally

Cons

Bad management go to supervisor on the same page

Advice to Management

N/,A

Aug 1, 2017 – The Talent Team

"Local facility needs serious help, but globally, the company is strong"

Current Employee - Leader in Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Leader in Jefferson City, MO

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work for global leader in manufacturing. Pay is reasonable, not great. Benefits for salary workers are good. Other employers will throw a net around you after working at Unilever.

Cons

Ridiculous working schedule. Little opportunity to grow from within the organization. Large disconnect between reality and plans on paper. For highly engineered equipment, little support is given to following through with engineered ideas. No value in training or developing individuals.

Advice to Management

The greatest cost to business is workers. Teach them, invest in them, and their cost becomes a benefit.

Jul 7, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review - we appreciate all feedback, both positive and constructive. It's great to see that you mention our standing as a global leader, benefits and... More

"Challenging organization and culture - US FTEs reduction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeport, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeport, CT

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

View of a large global organization
    Broad cultural experience
    Good pay scale compared to other companies of the same size

Cons

Reducing US jobs for several years in exchange for regions with cheaper labor costs.
    Limited to no opportunities for US employees who want to move up.
    Early and/or late US work hours depend on global teams time zone coordination
    Challenging cultural ways of working
    Slow to move to new technologies for production due to vast differences in regions - One size does not fit all

Jun 27, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review – we appreciate the feedback, both positive and constructive. It’s pleasing to see that you mention our broad cultural experience and renumeration scales as particular... More

9. "Poor Development Plan"

I have been working at Unilever full-time

Pros

Employees are compensated well, sustainable company

Cons

Basically no time is spent on developing UFLPs. We are thrown into roles and expected to deliver with little to no training and managers who don't want to coach us. We are also promised to become managers in three years after graduating the program, however almost every promise made has been revoked.

Advice to Management

Spend more time developing your new hires. You are hiring talented individuals, and your retention rate is about 20% because of the poor way they are managed and this program is organized.

Jun 27, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review – we appreciate the feedback, both positive and constructive. It’s pleasing to see that you mention renumeration and sustainability as particular positives of your role... More

"Long Term Trend is Negative; Do Not Believe all the Hype"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are still a lot of smart, passionate people at Unilever who are great to work with and learn from.
    Many people actually believe in Unilever’s social and sustainability strategy, and act accordingly. The majority of people behave ethically and politely.
    It’s a great place to build up your skills quickly, and in some parts of the world, having Unilever on your CV is still meaningful

Cons

1. In many roles, the amount of work and hours required is overwhelming. Headcount is always being reduced, but the work required is always increasing.
    2. Unilever’s compassion does not extend to its employees. In some areas, layoffs and restructuring are constant. Employee turnover is high, for example, in Unilever’s global business services, 80% of the management team has left in the past 6 months. Most of next level of the organization is being laid off as their roles are eliminated or shifted to low cost countries.
    3. Pay is average, bonuses are decreasing, and the company continues to cut benefits. Almost all the offices are open seating, so the work environment is noisy and frequently filthy.
    4. Unilever has a huge amount of outsourcing, offshoring, contractors, and consultants. In some areas, the shadow organization is so strong, Unilever has lost control of the company.
    5. Management knee jerk reacts to every consultancy recommendation. Lately, they are all running around worried about travel costs and colored printing instead of the structural defects in their business model. The board is invisible.
    6. Unilever moves slowly, it takes forever to make a decision (if it ever even gets made). Processes are complex and brittle, and everything being outsourced makes it more difficult to get even the simplest thing accomplished.
    7. Unilever relentlessly markets their “save the world” mission to employees, with an equally strong message of "save money wherever, however possible." Customers and consumers are an after thought.
    8. Unilever discriminates against anyone who doesn't meet the current correct "identity." If you are in the developed world or white or male or over 40, expect to be laid off.

Advice to Management

Senior leaders believe their own marketing, and are blind to the fact that the company has lost touch with people who buy their products. There is a lot of hypocrisy at senior levels -- in public people support Unilever's mission, but they do not in their day to day operations.

May 23, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for your review and comments. We always appreciate candid feedback - both positive and constructive. Firstly, we would like to suggest setting up a meeting with your HR... More

Showing 210 of 2,986 reviews