Unilever Reviews | Glassdoor

Unilever CEO Paul Polman
Paul Polman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be very tricky (in 168 reviews)

• Slow decision making processes have not fully been addressed (in 98 reviews)

"Disheartening-No advancement for young white male"

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company has good salaries and benefits. Provides great experience across multiple functions of the supply chain. They have great brands.

Cons

The company started to really push heavily about 6 years ago its Unilever Future Leaders Program (UFLP) where they promise new college graduates who are accepted in the rotational programs leadership role. At the same time they are pushing Diversity and Inclusion agenda. This means there are very very limited opportunities for a young white male who has 5-7 years experience. You might as well give up if you're over 40. They are more worried about checking the box and political correctness that they don't put the best person in the role. They wonder why there are many employees leaving the company. That's why. No hope for us. This is reverse discrimination which they will deny. They don't promote you if you don't meet the D&I or UFLP. They use the term privately among directors and HR "blockers".

Advice to Management

Remember your young high flying UFLPs are leaving too after they get the manager roles because all they want is Unilever name and title manager on their resume. I've only known 2-3 that were true leaders. Most of them can't handle once given their permanent assignment. Please don't alienate the rest of your hard working employees by putting all your eggs on one basket. You give us no choice for the future. Promote the best qualified candidates. Don't call us blockers if we don't meet your D&I and UFLP category. Frustrating!

Sep 15, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for your review and comments. We appreciate your feedback and will ensure it is passed on to the respective teams. We would suggest you also set up a meeting with your HR... More

2. "OK place to work"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Burlington, VT

I worked at Unilever full-time

Pros

Always something new to work on.

Cons

Engineering management structure keep changing always in doubt of next project.

Aug 18, 2017 – The Talent Team

Thank you for your review and feedback. We'll ensure it is passed on to the respective teams. We hope your new role is proving successful and we wish you all the best.

"Location Strategy"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Trumbull, CT
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Trumbull, CT

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A good work/life balance, blah, blah

Cons

evaporation of an IT presence in US

Aug 10, 2017 – The Talent Team

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and we'll ensure they are passed on to the team.

4. "Unilever is a company that you can only get a job there if you know someone already there who manages people..."

Former Contractor - Supply Chain Analyst in Trumbull, CT
    Former Contractor - Supply Chain Analyst in Trumbull, CT

I worked at Unilever as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They promote a well rounded background of skills. Often you see people who have done accounting, customer service, material planning, logistics, and sales across their value chain. Each position you stay in it at min 12-18 months depending on supervisors discretion. I find this to be their best and worst policy.

Cons

Favoritism and politics are a real problem here. Thats true of any company but with larger companies its worse. People in power think they are untouchable, questionable ethics, always about who has more pull up high to override a decision. They value more about an educational degree than relative experience. In their eyes, 20 years in a relative management postion with no college degree is less valuable than 2 years experience with a bachelors. I was passed over multiple full time positions my background matched because of this. It sure felt like it. Maybe they didnt want to pay the finders fee from the temp agency, who knows. I had positive recommendations from management too that vouched with the hiring staff. Still nothing. Gave up and concidered myself lucky. I got used, overworked, and thrown away once they no longer needed me.

Relies on temp contract workers with good skill sets and background to improve process in departments with the potential of a full time position. To cut costs of adding new employee, the temp TRAINS an existing full time employee who came from another department internally so there is no need for the company to add head count with you.

In addition to the 'best and worst policy' i mentioned above, as a result there are few solid experts in the departments, long term projects drag on because you can be allowed to transfer to another department, leaving the project to essentially start from scratch with a new person having to learn about it. A common side effect of this policy is the middle management is often gutted every few years where people are fired or moved around while director/executive leadership remains relatively unchanged.

Advice to Management

Temp contractors are treated unequally to full time employees. If you promote internally, dont forget the people who cleaned up your mess of an organization instead of kicking a hard worker to the curb. I certainly wouldnt recommend anyone to work here unless their was a dump truck of money in it for them!

Aug 14, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for your review and feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to relay a number of points - including the well rounded nature of your role and training. We will ensure your... More

5. "Production"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Unilever as a contractor

Pros

Good money and easy work

Cons

No benefits No room for advancement

Advice to Management

Please make everyone fulltime , because y'all make us temps feel useless sometimes

Aug 11, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your comments, including your points around benefits and advancement, and will ensure they are passed on to the respective teams.

6. "Assistant Manager"

Pros

The company offers really good benefits

Cons

In my experience, there is too much bureaucracy

Aug 11, 2017 – The Talent Team

7. "Material supplier"

I have been working at Unilever full-time

Pros

It was very diverse in the people who finally

Cons

Bad management go to supervisor on the same page

Advice to Management

N/,A

Aug 1, 2017 – The Talent Team

"Local facility needs serious help, but globally, the company is strong"

Current Employee - Leader in Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Leader in Jefferson City, MO

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work for global leader in manufacturing. Pay is reasonable, not great. Benefits for salary workers are good. Other employers will throw a net around you after working at Unilever.

Cons

Ridiculous working schedule. Little opportunity to grow from within the organization. Large disconnect between reality and plans on paper. For highly engineered equipment, little support is given to following through with engineered ideas. No value in training or developing individuals.

Advice to Management

The greatest cost to business is workers. Teach them, invest in them, and their cost becomes a benefit.

Jul 7, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review - we appreciate all feedback, both positive and constructive. It's great to see that you mention our standing as a global leader, benefits and... More

"Challenging organization and culture - US FTEs reduction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeport, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeport, CT

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

View of a large global organization
    Broad cultural experience
    Good pay scale compared to other companies of the same size

Cons

Reducing US jobs for several years in exchange for regions with cheaper labor costs.
    Limited to no opportunities for US employees who want to move up.
    Early and/or late US work hours depend on global teams time zone coordination
    Challenging cultural ways of working
    Slow to move to new technologies for production due to vast differences in regions - One size does not fit all

Jun 27, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review – we appreciate the feedback, both positive and constructive. It’s pleasing to see that you mention our broad cultural experience and renumeration scales as particular... More

10. "Poor Development Plan"

I have been working at Unilever full-time

Pros

Employees are compensated well, sustainable company

Cons

Basically no time is spent on developing UFLPs. We are thrown into roles and expected to deliver with little to no training and managers who don't want to coach us. We are also promised to become managers in three years after graduating the program, however almost every promise made has been revoked.

Advice to Management

Spend more time developing your new hires. You are hiring talented individuals, and your retention rate is about 20% because of the poor way they are managed and this program is organized.

Jun 27, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review – we appreciate the feedback, both positive and constructive. It’s pleasing to see that you mention renumeration and sustainability as particular positives of your role... More

Showing 214 of 3,063 reviews