Unilever Reviews | Glassdoor

Unilever CEO Paul Polman
Paul Polman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Not very good work-life balance (in 176 reviews)

• Slow decision making processes have not fully been addressed (in 99 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing People and Purpose and an Awesome Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The list of reasons why Unilever is the best place to work is way too long. So below are just a few:

Purpose – UL realizes the value of people who have a purpose as much as our brands with a purpose.
    People – the organization cares about their employees as much as they do customers and consumers. Also the people who work at UL are smart, nice and most importantly authentic.
    Brands – It is really an awesome feeling to let people know you work for this amazing company Unilever, and “Oh by the way, they make Dove, Hellmann’s, Ben & Jerry’s”.
    Flexibility – agile work environment. Being able to get your job done from wherever, whenever.
    Empowerment – being encouraged to own and make decisions and knowing that the leaders have your back.

and many more...

Cons

With all large organization, process can get in the way of being able to get things done quickly. Unilever has done a tremendous job over the past few years of tackling this barrier by changing the way we work. This has removed a lot of the complexity which has allowed things to be done quicker and simpler.

Unilever Response

Oct 9, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for providing such an insightful review of your time with us so far. It's great to see you mention a number of positives including our shared values, colleagues, brands and... More

2. "Unilever, A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trumbull, CT

Pros

Unilever is a wonderful company who rewards good work ethics. They consistently reward their high performers for a job well done

Cons

Working on holidays at times

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, It's a great place to work with many opportunities

3. "Company overview"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Co-Op in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Co-Op in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

Pros

-Diverse corporate culture
    -Flexible work hours
    -Casual corporate culture
    -Team environment
    -Good pay
    -Good locations
    -Diverse product line
    -Opportunities for success

Cons

-Flexible work hours mean it's hard to get things done early/late in the day, as well as on Fridays
    -Constant layoffs are concerning for job security

Advice to Management

Nothing in particular, as the company is already running at near-maximum efficiency due to frequent reorganizations and layoffs. Everyone is required to function at a high level.

"Great place to work. Collaborative environment, fun people."

Current Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

Pros

Great brands, great people, casual environment. Innovative approach to marketing. Good opportunities for career advancement within the marketing organization. Good training programs at all levels.

Cons

Can we a lot of process, and a lot of debate without action. Given the company structure, there are often a lot of cooks in the kitchen. Pay is less than at comparable places.

Advice to Management

Continue to push the innovative marketing approach. It makes the company a fun and exciting place to work. Increase pay to match competitive set.

5. "Unilever is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Unilever views their insight team as a strategic partner and is a very consumer focused business. The Chicago office has a great energy and is a fun place to work.

Cons

As with most large corporations, Unilever can be really political and the many processes can be really cumbersome. Also, Chicago office is closing.

Advice to Management

No words of feedback - experience at Unilever has been really positive and I'd recommend them as an employer to anyone looking to work there.

6. "Satisfied employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raeford, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raeford, NC

Pros

Great environment, management, benefits, ethics.

Cons

There are opportunities for better work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Please provide more creative work-life balance opportunities for everyone, including non-exempt, such as being able to work from home.

7. "Outstanding employer, proud and blessed to be there"

Current Employee - Chain Development Manager in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Chain Development Manager in Lisle, IL

Pros

Very forward thinking regarding human rights and sustainability
    Very charitable oriented
    Strongly support work life balance
    Excellent benefits package
    Fair salary. Not the best in the business but stability and benefits make up for this.
    Very collaborative environment
    Allow & encourage creative out of the box thinking
    Best products on the market in most categories

Cons

Most opportunities for advancement require relocation to Lisle.
    Overcommunicate on some things, undercommunicate on others
    Being part of a multinational compels change for the sake of compliance with no real advantages in some cases.
    Bonus program is never constant and is becoming more difficult to attain. Sometimes we don't know criteria until final month of bonus period.

Advice to Management

Consider our time constraints, make bonus more balanced and fair.

Otherwise, thank you for providing a great place to grow, learn, and work.

8. "very rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trumbull, CT

Pros

Working from home, Company store, friendly and supportive environment and great teams.

Cons

Trumbull is not a highly populated area. The environment is more suitable for people with families.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the people who are working.

9. "Overall, in my experience at Unilever, I have been welcomed, supported, and challenged."

Current Employee - Sales Analyst
    Current Employee - Sales Analyst

Pros

Even as a recent employee at Unileverr, I feel that my work is meaningful and relevant. Projects I have worked on truly contribute to my team, and management respects and trusts my work. The Unilever community is very supportive. I have never felt that employees are overly competitive or hostile toward one another. They are willing to take time to help one another and are open to working together.

Cons

The company is very large and complex, so it may take longer to get a promotion or switch functions than it would at a smaller company.

Advice to Management

I believe that the leadership at Unilever does a great job in communicating with employees about decisions, changes, and news. In my experience, they have also been very open about getting to know, interacting with, and listening to feedback/questions from employees.

10. "An incredible learning experience thus far and seemingly lots to look forward to in the future!"

Current Employee - CDRP Analyst in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - CDRP Analyst in Lisle, IL

Pros

Unilever is truly a company that cares about their employees. I feel as though I have recieved such an incredible amount of training and unique experiences that will help me shape my career with them in the future. There is no lack of respect or acknowledgement for the completion of good work at Unilever and it seems like an outstanding place to build a career.

Cons

Some aspects of the communication between Human Resources and employees as well as Human Resources and Field Management has room for improvement but small changes stand to make big differences on this topic.

Showing 870 of 3,345 reviews