Unilever Reviews | Glassdoor

1,205 Ratings

2,572 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Poor Management and No Guidance"

Former Employee - Supply Chain in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance. The company allows you to work from home when needed.

Cons

The company is constantly restructuring, spending all of their time focused on the bottom line and very little to no time on its actual employees.

Transitions between roles are stretched out over months causing employees to work multiple jobs and long hours.

Poor Management and turn over leaves employees either zero management or multiple mangers in one year.

Programs in place for mentors or employer advancement are poorly managed unless you are a member of their SCMP program. Full time employees have the option to join a management program however the likelihoods of a promotion is low.

Regular employee programs are so poorly managed that employees tend to wait over a year for a mentor.

Unless you are hired from the outside compensation is very low. Recent college graduates are not offered competitive salaries and must leave the company in order to receive industry standard.

Advice to Management

Have some management and focus on the employees.

"Not about the employees. It has changed over the years."

Current Employee - Distribution Coordinator in Trumbull, CT
    Current Employee - Distribution Coordinator in Trumbull, CT

I have been working at Unilever full-time

Pros

The company is pretty good about letting people work from home when needed.

Cons

Employees are overworked. Constant system issues. Very poor leadership. Promotions are very political and not based on merrit. More benefits dissapearing over the years. Talk about how work/life balance is important, but there is no balance. Leadership takes too long to make decisions.

Advice to Management

Hire more employees to spread out the work. Stop forcing employees to work so late, on weekends, on holidays. Promote people that can do the job and not your friends. Stop coming up with terrible projects because you feel the need to prove things are being done.

"Expect to be laid off / fired/ humiliated"

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Englewood, NJ
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Englewood, NJ

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working with a special set of people who endured a lot of painful moments.

Cons

Worst senior management of a seemingly profitable company. They are only about the about the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Get some real managers, directors, and vice presidents who don't have their heads in the sand. Don't let leaders in the organization get away with abuse and terrorizing their employees.

"Computer Operator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Unilever full-time

Pros

Was a Great Place to work before Alberto Culver Sold out to Unilever.

Cons

Unilever did the typical bought Alberto Culver and fired everyone that helped make Alberto Culver a top notch company.

Advice to Management

No advice to give.

"What was once a great company is now a mess"

Former Employee - Chain Development Manager
    Former Employee - Chain Development Manager

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits & compensation package. Strong brands. Emphasis on teams.

Cons

Bureaucracy. Sloth culture- nothing gets done. Decisions made that are counter to growth and common sense. Not sure this division of the company will exist in 18-24 months. Rumors abound that Unilever is exiting the food business and selling off the brands.

Roadblocks to successfully winning business make it more attractive to hang in the home office than pursue customers. And seriously, with a portfolio of over 500 items, why would they limit what we can sell based upon our job title?

Recent structural changes are disconcerting and morale is lower than Ive seen in more than 15 years.

"Unilever Kilbourn"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Chicago, IL

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good money. The ability to work on your own.

Cons

No chance for advancement, although they say so. Very much a political place. You need to be with the "IN" crowd. This is a union shop. Contractually you can be forced to work every weekend and forced to stay over. And the senior men acquire the premium shifts or the shift of their choice. Also the operators are unable to do their jobs so the burden falls upon maintenance.

Advice to Management

Don't just "LOOK INTO IT". Do something!!!

"Management is lacking clear direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I liked my coworkers in the department I worked for the most part. Although it was a challenge because of the lack of work life balance, at the end of my experience, I ended up in a new field.

Cons

HR let directors get away with firing or letting go people who never had a chance to defend themselves. They unilaterally made the decisions on their own and most of the time, the decision was based on personal feelings and not business related. There was no checks and balances when it came to this practice.

Advice to Management

Put in a sound process of checks and balances and ensure that people in leadership roles are not being dictatorial and abusive toward their employees.

"If it sounds too good to be true, IT IS."

Current Employee - Machine Operator/Sanitation Staff in New Century, KS
    Current Employee - Machine Operator/Sanitation Staff in New Century, KS

I have been working at Unilever full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay and insurance is excellent and they buy your boots and uniforms for you. That is the where the pros END!

Cons

I was lured in with a false claim that forced overtime and working weekends was a rare thing. WRONG. I work overtime (forced) EVERY DAY. I work Every other weekend! If you want to work for this company, you had better have NO family, hobbies, need for sleep, or life other than work. I HATE this place with all my heart and soul! It has ruined my life! I am seeking a way out as quickly as possible. Before Unilever I was an artist and a performer. Now I am a nameless cog in their dying machine. I was unable to see my terminally ill Dad for the holidays. I am unable to perform the most basic self-maintenance. I am to the point where I want to be fired just so I can escape!

Advice to Management

Your employees hate you. Forcing us to work 84 hour weeks during the holidays is sick and immoral. Your employees are so tired that they are exhausted to the point of being walking safety risks! I can't wait to leave so I can see my family, paint, dance, and tell my boss he can force some other poor sap who has sold his sold for money to work my job! My health is more important than your numbers!!!

"Finance dept. is a disaster"

Former Employee - Associate Finance Manager in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Former Employee - Associate Finance Manager in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looks good on your resume

Cons

Everything (lack of transparency, poor career options, bonus is minimal due to poor company performance)

"Run the other way!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Human Resources Professional in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Former Employee - Human Resources Professional in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual work environment, company store, free ice cream, ability to work from home...

Cons

NO work life balance, antiquated systems, reactive instead of proactive approach to business. Terrible leadership.

Advice to Management

Analyze your turnover rates... There are reasons why so many people are leaving!

Showing 2,572 of 2,979 reviews