Unilever Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "OK place to work"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Burlington, VT

I worked at Unilever full-time

Pros

Always something new to work on.

Cons

Engineering management structure keep changing always in doubt of next project.

Aug 18, 2017 – The Talent Team

Thank you for your review and feedback. We'll ensure it is passed on to the respective teams. We hope your new role is proving successful and we wish you all the best.

2. "Unilever is a company that you can only get a job there if you know someone already there who manages people..."

Former Contractor - Supply Chain Analyst in Trumbull, CT
    Former Contractor - Supply Chain Analyst in Trumbull, CT

I worked at Unilever as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They promote a well rounded background of skills. Often you see people who have done accounting, customer service, material planning, logistics, and sales across their value chain. Each position you stay in it at min 12-18 months depending on supervisors discretion. I find this to be their best and worst policy.

Cons

Favoritism and politics are a real problem here. Thats true of any company but with larger companies its worse. People in power think they are untouchable, questionable ethics, always about who has more pull up high to override a decision. They value more about an educational degree than relative experience. In their eyes, 20 years in a relative management postion with no college degree is less valuable than 2 years experience with a bachelors. I was passed over multiple full time positions my background matched because of this. It sure felt like it. Maybe they didnt want to pay the finders fee from the temp agency, who knows. I had positive recommendations from management too that vouched with the hiring staff. Still nothing. Gave up and concidered myself lucky. I got used, overworked, and thrown away once they no longer needed me.

Relies on temp contract workers with good skill sets and background to improve process in departments with the potential of a full time position. To cut costs of adding new employee, the temp TRAINS an existing full time employee who came from another department internally so there is no need for the company to add head count with you.

In addition to the 'best and worst policy' i mentioned above, as a result there are few solid experts in the departments, long term projects drag on because you can be allowed to transfer to another department, leaving the project to essentially start from scratch with a new person having to learn about it. A common side effect of this policy is the middle management is often gutted every few years where people are fired or moved around while director/executive leadership remains relatively unchanged.

Advice to Management

Temp contractors are treated unequally to full time employees. If you promote internally, dont forget the people who cleaned up your mess of an organization instead of kicking a hard worker to the curb. I certainly wouldnt recommend anyone to work here unless their was a dump truck of money in it for them!

Aug 14, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for your review and feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to relay a number of points - including the well rounded nature of your role and training. We will ensure your... More

3. "Assistant Manager"

Pros

The company offers really good benefits

Cons

In my experience, there is too much bureaucracy

Aug 11, 2017 – The Talent Team

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and we'll ensure they are passed on to the team.

4. "Production"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Unilever as a contractor

Pros

Good money and easy work

Cons

No benefits No room for advancement

Advice to Management

Please make everyone fulltime , because y'all make us temps feel useless sometimes

Aug 11, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your comments, including your points around benefits and advancement, and will ensure they are passed on to the respective teams.

5. "Manager"

I worked at Unilever full-time

Pros

Good communication skills and used to working on own initiative

Cons

Not sure I want to set out cons

"Location Strategy"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Trumbull, CT
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Trumbull, CT

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A good work/life balance, blah, blah

Cons

evaporation of an IT presence in US

Aug 10, 2017 – The Talent Team

"Don't waste a secon of your life"

Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home on fridays. You get some small discounts on some products and you get free ice cream every day.

Cons

Too much work, tons of hours with no gratitude or extra pay. Really bad management team. Lots of stress. Everyone is leaving the company so time to move on.

Advice to Management

Well start treating people like people not like numbers and spend more time focusing on your employees rather than trying to sell how awesome your culture is

Aug 3, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review – we appreciate the feedback, both positive and constructive. It’s pleasing to see that you mention flexible working and benefits as particular positives of your... More

8. "Material supplier"

I have been working at Unilever full-time

Pros

It was very diverse in the people who finally

Cons

Bad management go to supervisor on the same page

Advice to Management

N/,A

Aug 1, 2017 – The Talent Team

9. "Raw & Pack Planner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Katowice (Poland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Katowice (Poland)

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good collaboration with my colleagues

Cons

Too much cost reduction at the moment (7/2017) even on the instant coffee!

Jul 31, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review and feedback. We appreciate your comments around collaboration and cost reduction, and will ensure they are passed to the team.

10. "Contractors"

Current Contractor - Data Scientist in Port Sunlight, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Data Scientist in Port Sunlight, England (UK)

I have been working at Unilever as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Contracts appear frequently, and gives employees a chance to gain a wealth of experience form different categories.

Cons

As a contractor I feel expendable , like a pawn in a chess piece. Unilever looks after it's employees, but does not offer the same benefits to contractors.

Advice to Management

Use contracts as a long term job interview, ensuring a higher number of contractors receive a permanent role after their contract ends, rather than having to leave and go elsewhere.

Jul 18, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review – we appreciate the feedback, both positive and constructive. It’s pleasing to see that you mention the breadth of roles and opportunities available is a particular... More

Showing 210 of 2,991 reviews