Unilever Reviews | Glassdoor

2,428 reviews

Full-time Part-time

2,428 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance might be tough (in 156 reviews)

• Matrix structure can slow down decision making as does need to build consensus for all major decisions (in 88 reviews)

"Senior IT Global Solution Delivery Manager"

Current Employee - Senior IT Global Solution Delivery Manager in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Freedom to work for any where

Cons

No Growth for North American IT

Advice to Management

If you are an european company, it does not mean all best leaders live in Europe only.

Jan 11, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your current role with us. It's good to see that you highlight our agile working practices as a particular positive of your time with us ... More

2. "Director of Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, NJ

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had a positive experience at Unilever and experienced with upward mobility. It is a strong community with purpose. The work life balance is real, fueled by caring teams.

Cons

Long term goals remain the same, but short term objectives can change. Team structures evolve every few years. It can be hard to keep up with this change and concern for job security will occur.

Jan 6, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review of your previous role with us. It's great to see you had a positive time with us at Unilever - particularly your comments around our ... More

"Finance Director"

Current Employee - Finance Director in Englewood, NJ
    Current Employee - Finance Director in Englewood, NJ

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Exceptional Work Environment
    Great Work Life Balance
    Rewarding Compensation
    Impressive Social Responsibility
    Great Products and Vision

Cons

Focus of reducing cost by flattening organization or shifting jobs outside the markets they operate to low waged countries.

5. "HR Manager"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Trumbull, CT
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Trumbull, CT

I worked at Unilever (More than a year)

Pros

Caliber of management and most employees was outstanding. Really worked as a team. Open discussions of ideas encouraged by management and often acted upon.

Cons

Sometimes get too bogged down in "the process."

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you do.

Jan 6, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review of your previous role with us. It's great to see that you mention management, the team ethos and open discussion as particular positives ... More

"In general"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I worked at Unilever (More than 8 years)

Pros

Casual environment, nice co-workers,family first values

Cons

Constantly having re-orgs and company wide layoffs. Was there for ten years and every year there was one if not two rounds of layoffs. No way to live. The latest large layoff was due to lack of growth.
    Also, their benefits are no longer that great or competitive as they once were.

"This job had me considering suicide."

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Olathe, KS

I worked at Unilever full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They'll pay you a decent wage, so you can afford a nice apartment to go cry in for six hours before you have to be back for another 12 hour shift. And another. And another. Continue for 6 months until you give up on life.

Cons

Worked 80 hours a week. NO time for a life at home. Erratic, constantly changing hours. days off are few and far between. They will literally work you to death without any remorse. I was having thoughts of self-harm and suicide by the time I was able to get away from this terrible place.

Advice to Management

Hire more people to cover shifts. Allow your employees weekends off. Let them sign up for overtime IF THEY WANT IT. Your employees need time to sleep, care for their homes and families, and enjoy being alive.

Mar 27, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review - we appreciate the feedback. We take these comments extremely seriously and will pass them on to the respective team. We do hope you had the opportunity of speaking ... More

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I found Unilever to be a great company to work for. The people and atmosphere are friendly and the company listens to and respects their employees and their feedback. They offer a lot of benefits (i.e. stock options, 401k, company store, fitness center...) and support a work/life balance.

Cons

My department was located in a different building and sometimes we felt isolated from the rest of the company, however, they are in the process of incorporating all departments into one building which will resolve this issue.

9. "Nice Place"

Former Employee - Manager in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I worked at Unilever part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits with great people. Work life balance is excellent and management cares. Help people grow and learn. Highly recommended.

Cons

Not enough upward mobility for young employees who want to move up. Hard to get ahead at the company, but can be done.

Advice to Management

Offer more chances for advancement and opportunities to learn and grow your people. Listen to what they say. Ask them what they want.

Dec 23, 2016 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for the feedback on your previous role with us. It's great to see that you highlight our benefits, people and work/life balance as particular positives. We'll ensure we pass ... More

"operator"

Current Employee - Packaging Operator in Independence, MO
    Current Employee - Packaging Operator in Independence, MO

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm hard pressed to find 20 words to say good things about Unilever. The people who share the same treatment as each other is about it. You can lean on each other to help you through the ungodly amount of hours, exhausting work, constant stress.

Cons

Quit forcing so much overtime. You are killing people, wearing them down physically, mentally, and causing a tremendous amount of stress. No one has a personal life due to the amount of hours we are forced to work. Making your employees work 12 hour shifts with very few days off because they are forced to work overtime on their days off is creating a monster. It's obvious you don't care about the mental health, families or personal lives of your employees. If you only heard what the employees are saying you might takes step back and reevaluate your policies. It's bad enough you cut the pay for new employees by $6 an hour just to get Knorr to come to Independence Missouri. So now you have people with seniority doing very little work making $27 an hour, with new employees working their tails off for $7-8 an hour less. Also, why is it you never comment on negative reviews?? That should be a sign right there to people thinking about applying that they don't run this company very efficiently. They can't delete the reviews or they would. I'm just telling it like it is in Independence Missouri's plant.

Advice to Management

Don't expect your employees to forget about everything in their lives but Unilever. Give them a family life. Show some appreciation for the hard work and long hours. Raise the pay back to where it belongs. Hire management who actually care about the employees.

Mar 27, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review - we take on board all feedback and ensure it is passed on to the respective teams. In the first instance, we would suggest speaking directly with your HR Business ... More

"Bigger isn't always better"

Former Employee - Logistics in Sikeston, MO
    Former Employee - Logistics in Sikeston, MO

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, decent benefits. cool discounts.

Cons

Disorganized, too many levels of managment

Advice to Management

be real

Mar 27, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review - we appreciate the feedback. We'll ensure we pass on your points around levels of management and organisation to the respective teams. We hope your current role is ... More

Showing 2,428 of 2,804 reviews