Unilever Reviews | Glassdoor

Unilever Reviews

Updated June 21, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance might be tough (in 161 reviews)

• Matrix structure can slow down decision making as does need to build consensus for all major decisions (in 89 reviews)

"OK place to work"

Current Employee - Brand Manager - Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Brand Manager - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Unilever (More than 3 years)

Pros

Agile work environment can mean you have more flexibility in your schedule. Depending on the team you are on, work-life balance can be strong.

Cons

Growth is very slow even for people who are strong performers, bureaucracy is unavoidable, politics are pretty rampant. Comp is not super competitive.

Advice to Management

Try to establish a true meritocracy where employees are judged and rewarded based on the quality of their work instead of who they know.

Nov 11, 2015 – The Unilever Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for leaving a review of your current role with us at Unilever. It's great to see that you mentioned the agile working practices as a particular positive. We'll ensure that your feedback ... More

2. "Nice location and high flexibility vs. Lack of meritocracy and energy"

Former Contractor - Temp Support/Analyst in Shelton, CT
    Former Contractor - Temp Support/Analyst in Shelton, CT

I worked at Unilever as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice outlook and brand new office. Flexibility, work from home, company store where you can find very expensive products at a very low price!

Cons

As a temp, I hoped to gain a perm position working hard, respecting deadline and continuously bringing enhancements to processes. Unfortunately, due to bureaucracy and budget issues is very difficult of get into the company when you are contractor. Lack of energy and meritocracy. Very slow paced environment. Only the manager was very very busy.

Advice to Management

Delegate more so you can breath and your folks would be happy to see that their manager has everything under control and trust them delegating stuff do to. Be more in touch with the team.

3. "Marketing Leadership & Expertise"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Bristol, RI
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Bristol, RI

I worked at Unilever (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to expand and build marketing skill set.

Cons

No work life balance and lack of advancement opportunitites for mid-levlel managers.

Nov 5, 2015 – The Unilever Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for leaving a review of your previous role with us at Unilever. We appreciate the feedback and will ensure this is passed on to the team. We hope your current role is proving ... More

"Maintenance Supervisor"

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can travel and be a part of some great experiences even from the production floor. As a supervisor, I got to go to Brazil and visit "World Class Plants". I had a great boss from the "Old Guard". He supported us, and always assumed positive intent. He didn't have some over bearing ego, and allowed us to succeed. He also let us make the best of our time as long as we did our job. I also had some outstanding people work for me.

Cons

Bad decisions from upper management. They put a person in charge of a plant, who had no experience on a plant or shipping floor. They wouldn't invest any money into the machines, but they would drop $30million in renovating a 100+ year old building.... for the front office. This plant was located in one of the worst area's of Chicago (Little Village". Last but not least... 6-day work weeks.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter... They won't listen.

Oct 13, 2015 – The Unilever Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your previous role at Unilever. We're glad to see that you were able to travel and gain some new insights from Brazil. Your feedback regarding ... More

5. "unilever"

Current Employee - Reliability Technician in Friendship, TN
    Current Employee - Reliability Technician in Friendship, TN

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Your get to meet some very good people along the way, This is a good place to work.
    got a good 401k plan also and you get a lot of schooling along the way

Cons

your under a lot of pressure to get things done in a timely matter, which this is part of the job.

Oct 5, 2015 – The Unilever Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your current role here with us at Unilever. We appreciate the feedback and are glad to see that you feel your position is rewarding. We wish you ... More

"Great Brands - Bogged Down and Internal Politics"

Current Employee - Customer Development in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Development in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get a chance to work with great, well know brands. The agile work environment gives you flexibility depending on your manager - most people work from home on Fridays. It's not a cutthroat environment like some companies.

Cons

There seems to be a shift in culture where people now find reasons NOT to help each other. Internal politics are also more in play. On a global basis, each region/cluster head is more worried about building their own empire vs doing what is right for the company as a whole. We like to talk about "One Unilever" but it's just talk.

Processes are too complex and decision making is still way too slow despite efforts to simplify.

Restructuring takes place about every 24 months, which just throws things into chaos. People are also rotated out of roles every 12-18 months, which is too fast to really gain experience from a role. There is very little room to move into a Director role. You basically have to wait until someone leaves, which never happens.

Advice to Management

There is still a LOT of work to do on simplifying processes, decisions etc so we can move faster. The company as a whole needs to be more unified. The current clusters operate as individual empires sometimes competing with each other vs competing companies/brands.

7. "Factory Closure"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Planner in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Planner in Baltimore, MD

Pros

good benefits and pension package

Cons

too much big company red tape

"Consumer Services Advisor"

Current Employee - Consumer Service Advisor in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Current Employee - Consumer Service Advisor in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I have been working at Unilever part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good atmosphere, team setting

Cons

wish it was a full time position

"Preweigh Technician"

Current Employee - Preweigh Technician in Jonesboro, AR
    Current Employee - Preweigh Technician in Jonesboro, AR

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benifits for employees if thats what your looking for.

Cons

If you don't have a degree or are not a good ole' boy your won't make it very far.

Advice to Management

Look at the work your employees give you and not what your peers are saying about them. Its better to actually have proof then hear say.

10. "NA Supply Chain"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Bridgeport, CT
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Bridgeport, CT

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, nice office good health benefits

Cons

too much time making out worthless KPI's and reports. work life balance ok until you need to push it a little further. move experienced people way too much. loose continuity

Advice to Management

follow the USLP - allow more time to work remotely.

Showing 578 of 2,868 reviews