Unilever Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Unilever UK Reviews

Updated May 29, 2017

United Kingdom

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance might be tough (in 157 reviews)

• Matrix structure can slow down decision making as does need to build consensus for all major decisions (in 88 reviews)

1. "Fantastic Internship"

Former Employee - Summer Placement in Leatherhead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Summer Placement in Leatherhead, England (UK)

I worked at Unilever full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of responsibility, huge amount of opportunities available to you, great training. Good wage.

Cons

Have to get used to processes being slow, your manager might not have anything for you to do for the first week and a half as they are so busy, but you have responsibility piled on quickly.

Apr 20, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your placement review. We appreciate the feedback - including your points around responsibility, training and processes. We hope your experience with us was educational and wish you ... More

"Great potential, however incredibly slow and indecisive."

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Port Sunlight, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Port Sunlight, England (UK)

I have been working at Unilever as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

It very much depends on which department you work for on what pros you get.

Because Unilever is so big, different teams have very different styles of management. Head Office is very different to R&D sites, thats why its hard to figure out the truth when reading reviews like this. From my experience (R&D) the people I was surrounded by were fantastic, we were a small nimble team doing interesting things, it was fairly easy going environment, aside from the fairly drab offices.

Cons

A very hierarchical short sighted system. You can work on genuinely innovative and great consumer products that will make business sense, but someone in marketing might not like it based on personal opinion (not rational), and its years work gone.

There are huge disconnects between departments so work is repeated or miscommunicated. Moral is currently low with contracts being cut short, budgets being cut, bureaucracy, training halted and a lot of uncertainty in the air. There aren't really any genuine perks to office life either, the buildings aren't inspringing at all.

But again it depends on which department you work for on how the current climate effects you.

May 4, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for your review and feedback. We appreciate all comments - both positive and constructive. It's good to see you highlight the people and working culture as particular ... More

"Nice but limited options for white males"

Former Employee - 2B Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - 2B Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ethical approach to product development, seeking to be a great company, highly global, encourage people to think big. 100VE is an amazing place to work to encourage creativity and respect work / life balance (easy to get to / from work)

Cons

Quotas for employing women in middle management and people from what they call D&E markets makes it hard for white men to get an equal opportunity. Nice idea instigated by a group of UEx who aren't at risk. Kingston is awful, depressing location and work environment. Note location on glassdoor not giving Kingston as an option...it was were we were moved to and they didn't have enough desks for us on our compulsory days in the office, just 10 desks for 20 in the team.

Advice to Management

Realise diversity is about more than gender or skin colour, I can't help that I was born male and white. Invest in the workplace in locations where people want to work not awful 1960s towers outside of London. Offshoring has made process more complicated. Have a high quality of employee rather than a higher quantity of employees.

Apr 25, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for your review and comments. We appreciate all feedback - both positive and constructive. We'd like to first state that we are committed to ensuring a fair and balanced ... More

5. "Great people to work with"

Former Contractor - Programmer Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Programmer Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Unilever as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The balance between delivery and humanity is excellent, people work hard and support each other - which is unusual

Cons

If you are good at what you do, there are no major issues working here

Apr 12, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review. It's good to see that you highlight our connected culture as a particular positive. We hope your current role is proving successful and we wish you all the best.

"Excellent employer"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Port Sunlight, England (UK)
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Port Sunlight, England (UK)

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great and flexible working environment, emphasis on good work/life balance. No 8 in the world of the best companies to work for according to linked in..

Salary ranges are median to the industry but there are really good benefits in the form of share schemes, onsite catering, onsite gym, secure parking, pension, healthcare and discounts on various goods. A great place to work and also highly recommended if you're a graduate or thinking of an apprenticeship. It's an amazing place to work with lots of room to step upwards or sideways in your career - you just need the hunger and the ambition to get there.

Cons

It goes with the territory with most large companies, depending on the tower you're placed in - there can be some politics to deal with especially if you're heading towards middle management.

Advice to Management

Generally I've had great experience with management - however, there is a culture of "you must deliver to your development target" in some cases where it's clearly not beneficial or relevant and where it's not been fully thought out. We just need to be brave enough to say "that was OK at the time but things have changed" or "this is just not relevant anymore".

Apr 3, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and experiences related to your previous role with us. It's great to see such detailed feedback, including a number of positives of your time here ... More

7. "agility versus process"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Unilever as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Unilever has a great work environment and they truly embrace the concept of agility. This reflects a true spirit of trust and respect.

Cons

In spite of a drive to innovate and suggest creative solutions, bureaucracy and processes often slows down the ability to implement new ideas.

Apr 5, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thanks for your review and feedback. It’s great to see that you highlight our working environment, agile work practices and levels of trust as particular positives of your time here. We’ll ensure ... More

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Category Manager in Leatherhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Category Manager in Leatherhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong work-life balance
    Friendly, supportive culture
    Lots of career development opportunities to work across different functions

Cons

Too bureaucratic - Difficult to make change
    Salaries not market competitive
    Resource cuts in the last few years
    Difficult to progress from assistant level due to lack of junior management level roles

Apr 3, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for providing feedback on your current role. It's great to see you mention work life balance, supportive culture and career opportunities as particular positives of your time ... More

"Horrible Lack of Accountability"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can some of the best people out there, and there is good deal of learning and development opportunities. But...

Cons

I worked for 18 months on a project where my line manager was never available, and when I complained I was sacked from the company. There is no attention to staff members on the botton of the pyramid.

Advice to Management

Have a one-on-one session for all staff members and regular staff review to hold people accountable for their failures.

May 4, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review and feedback. We appreciate all comments - both positive and constructive. We will ensure your comments are passed directly on to the team to ensure your feedback is ... More

10. "Unilever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Unilever full-time

Pros

Sense of purpose
    Talented collegues
    Achieve amazing results once everyone is aligned

Cons

too many decision makers/consultation slow down speed of decision making

Apr 3, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review. We appreciate the comments - and it's great to see you mention our purpose, colleagues and results as particular positives of your time here. We'll ensure your comments ... More

11. "Unparalleled Employee Experience"

Current Employee - Assistant HRBP in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant HRBP in London, England (UK)

Pros

Brilliant work life balance and flexibility, real investment in people, employees feel valued and appreciated, and as such rewarded for the work they do. In turn creates fantastic culture and ways of working within motivational teams and departments, everyone stays close to one another, wellbeing is prioritised and sustainability highly encouraged.

Cons

Big company, can feel lost at times.

Apr 3, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your current role with us. It's great to see so many positives, including work life balance, culture and wellbeing incentives as highlighted ... More

Showing 234 of 2,816 reviews