Unilever Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

Unilever CEO Paul Polman
Paul Polman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Supply Chain Customer Support Analyst"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Customer Support Analyst in Shelton, CT
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Customer Support Analyst in Shelton, CT

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing Company to work for !

Cons

This company has no Cons.

Aug 8, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review and feedback. We appreciate the comments and wish you all the best.

2. "OK place to work"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Burlington, VT

I worked at Unilever full-time

Pros

Always something new to work on.

Cons

Engineering management structure keep changing always in doubt of next project.

Aug 18, 2017 – The Talent Team

Thank you for your review and feedback. We'll ensure it is passed on to the respective teams. We hope your new role is proving successful and we wish you all the best.

3. "Maintenance Techician"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Covington, TN
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Covington, TN

I worked at Unilever (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Nice facility

Cons

Leadership doesn't listen to the people on the floor. They see a problem and armchair quarterback an idea and shove it down your throat. If you do it and it fails, then its more work and frustration on you. If you challenge them and hold your ground with your solution, then you have a bad attitude.

Advice to Management

Listen to your skilled mechanics and quit running off them off. Skilled help is hard to come by

Aug 1, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review – we appreciate the feedback, both positive and constructive. It’s pleasing to see that you mention renumeration, benefits and the working facility as particular... More

4. "Unilever is a company that you can only get a job there if you know someone already there who manages people..."

Former Contractor - Supply Chain Analyst in Trumbull, CT
    Former Contractor - Supply Chain Analyst in Trumbull, CT

I worked at Unilever as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They promote a well rounded background of skills. Often you see people who have done accounting, customer service, material planning, logistics, and sales across their value chain. Each position you stay in it at min 12-18 months depending on supervisors discretion. I find this to be their best and worst policy.

Cons

Favoritism and politics are a real problem here. Thats true of any company but with larger companies its worse. People in power think they are untouchable, questionable ethics, always about who has more pull up high to override a decision. They value more about an educational degree than relative experience. In their eyes, 20 years in a relative management postion with no college degree is less valuable than 2 years experience with a bachelors. I was passed over multiple full time positions my background matched because of this. It sure felt like it. Maybe they didnt want to pay the finders fee from the temp agency, who knows. I had positive recommendations from management too that vouched with the hiring staff. Still nothing. Gave up and concidered myself lucky. I got used, overworked, and thrown away once they no longer needed me.

Relies on temp contract workers with good skill sets and background to improve process in departments with the potential of a full time position. To cut costs of adding new employee, the temp TRAINS an existing full time employee who came from another department internally so there is no need for the company to add head count with you.

In addition to the 'best and worst policy' i mentioned above, as a result there are few solid experts in the departments, long term projects drag on because you can be allowed to transfer to another department, leaving the project to essentially start from scratch with a new person having to learn about it. A common side effect of this policy is the middle management is often gutted every few years where people are fired or moved around while director/executive leadership remains relatively unchanged.

Advice to Management

Temp contractors are treated unequally to full time employees. If you promote internally, dont forget the people who cleaned up your mess of an organization instead of kicking a hard worker to the curb. I certainly wouldnt recommend anyone to work here unless their was a dump truck of money in it for them!

Aug 14, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for your review and feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to relay a number of points - including the well rounded nature of your role and training. We will ensure your... More

"Location Strategy"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Trumbull, CT
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Trumbull, CT

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A good work/life balance, blah, blah

Cons

evaporation of an IT presence in US

Aug 10, 2017 – The Talent Team

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and we'll ensure they are passed on to the team.

6. "Great exposure, too rigid and micromanaged"

Former Employee - Assistant Procurement Manager in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Procurement Manager in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company Name
    Wonderful products in our category
    Large organization that believes in sustainability - very proud of that fact
    Complex projects
    Experience will take you on for other opportunities that will grow your career

Cons

Truly depends on the team and I think overall Unilever is terrific but I decided to leave for the following reasons primarily due to my department culture:
    Limited work life balance
    Being recognized for After the fact and not in the moment
    Aggressively micromanaged, little trust
    Foul language in the office sometimes
    lack of visibility getting to engage with senior leaders
    Trying to make the department goals your overall career ambitions
    Just chaotic, lack of direction

Advice to Management

There's a lot but I think it is heading in the right direction and I truly wish the Unilever team the very best. However, it was such a shame that there was no exit interview by HR. I mean, a survey?? Do honestly read them and take it seriously why many people are leaving the organization?

Aug 8, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you very much for your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback - both positive and constructive. It's great to see you highlight both our focus on sustainability and complexity of projects as... More

7. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No micromanagement Great employees
    I had a good time

Cons

No cons I had a great time getting to meet new people

Advice to Management

Encourage more employee engagement

Jul 24, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your review. It's good to see that you highlight your colleagues and the level of management as particular positives. We hope your current role is proving successful and we wish you... More

"Unilever"

Current Employee - IT Systems Manager in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Current Employee - IT Systems Manager in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company fully supports the idea that social, economical and environmental responsibility positively impact the bottom-line. Great energy always looking to improve.

Cons

Silo behaviors. Current organizational confusion.

Advice to Management

Company is focused and aligned on top-line initiatives, but need to ensure alignment is pushed down into the execution layer.

Jul 19, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your current role with us. It's great to see you mention our commitment to responsible working practices and our culture of improvement as... More

9. "Great learning experience, but competitive internship"

Former Intern - Customer Development Intern in Charlotte, NC
    Former Intern - Customer Development Intern in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Unilever as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

- Culture that cares about people growth and development
    - Experienced managers that have lots of knowledge about their industry
    - Many iconic brands to work on
    - Strong culture of "giving back" to the community
    - Perks of a big company such as structured roles/titles, career advancement, and development programs

Cons

- Very competitive intern program with limited number of offers
    - Heart of the business lies in the Jersey office - limited opportunities elsewhere
    - Big company negatives, such as being a more "anonymous" place to work (due to sheer size) and beauracracy

Jul 11, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for your Internship review. It's good to see that you highlight culture, industry knowledge and development programmes as particular positives. We hope your Internship proved successful... More

"Review of Unilever US"

Former Employee - ABM in New York, NY
    Former Employee - ABM in New York, NY

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, ability to work remotely, get to work on some of the industry's biggest brands, great access to resources

Cons

terrible middle managers (brand managers) who throw their direct reports under the bus, afraid to say no or push back on Brand Directors who suggest a change in direction (don't even bother to attempt an explanation for a different approach even when previously aligned with the rest of the team), middle managers resort to making up performance issues even though emails and presentations exist to prove otherwise - and when an attempt at singling out 'performance issue X' fails, miraculously yet another 'performance issue Y' is inserted into the mix. The environment this foster is toxic, full of mistrust and completely lacking in respect and integrity.

Advice to Management

Seriously look at how the brand managers are treating their teams and direct reports. They are presenting a completely different side to you compares to what their direct reports see.

Jul 19, 2017 – The Talent Team

Hi. Thank you for providing comments on your previous role with us. All feedback is helpful - both constructive and positive. It's good to see you mention work life balance, remote working and the... More

Showing 485 of 2,986 reviews