Union Pacific Reviews | Glassdoor

Union Pacific President & CEO Lance Fritz
Lance Fritz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work - Life balance is terrible (in 70 reviews)

• If you work over the road there is no schedule you are literally on call 24/7 which can get a bit tricky with family life (in 54 reviews)

"Not Family oriented, very little room for growth"

Current Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Hermiston, OR
    Current Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Hermiston, OR

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good retirement, enjoyed the work, ok if you like shift work.

Cons

low pay for skilled crafts(significantly lower than industry average), very high medical benefit costs to employees, poor dental and vision plans, no company matching on retirement, no shift differential pay for working off shifts, long periods of time before gaining vacation weeks, little hope of having weekends off, plan on working years without holidays off, its very difficult to get time off and frowned upon to take time off without using vacation time, management is more interested in intimidating workers rather than help them be successful, management has unrealistic expectations and timelines of employees, supervisor do not give employees the chance to prove they can do their job properly before being questioned, employees get targeted by management and supervisors if doing their job negatively affects production, unions are weak and appear to be bought off by management and union officials that stand to protect individuals get targeted by management, unfair bargaining practices between unions and company- company claims economy is not good enough to give employees a pay scale and benefits package comparable to pay scales and benefits packages in the same skilled crafts outside of the railroad- and yet is claiming BILLIONS of dollars of profit every quarter and BILLIONS of dollars in tax breaks, company has no respect for the employee, only goal is to line the pockets of shareholders and corporate leaders

Advice to Management

Research how companies with a highly productive workforce adapts and innovates to stay competitive in their industry, listen to the workers they are the ones that make the work happen

"Manager"

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time

Pros

Used to have more opportunities

Cons

Management is very poor and new normal is job cuts and demotions

"YARDMASTER"

Current Employee - Yardmaster in North Platte, NE
    Current Employee - Yardmaster in North Platte, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy the transportation craft that actually does the work. Good people!

Cons

Management operations have changed in a negative way.

Advice to Management

Bring the teamwork back to the craft. Positive reinforcement. So many negative changes.

4. "Company more concerned about shareholders than TE&Y employees."

Current Employee - Brakeman in Northlake, IL
    Current Employee - Brakeman in Northlake, IL

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

TE&Y employees in the Chicago Freight Terminal make good wages. Yes, us yard guys potentially make over 100k a year. We CURRENTLY have a good retirement plan, good health benefits and union representation.

Cons

Extra board hours are volatile at best. You need to condition your mind and body for that. (Its been this way since the beginning of the railroad over 150 years)

Upper management like Cameron Scott believe "keep 'em scared of losing their job and they'll work harder for you".

The company does fast track promoting to managers (MOP's and DRO's) for getting the most firings and write ups. I.E. If seen, by one of these managers, you WILL be written up for even the most mundane "rule infraction" I.E. Not pausing long enough before getting off equipment or not looking both ways long enough before crossing tracks. You WILL be pulled from service and drug tested ON THE SPOT if they're listening and don't hear you repeat a track number properly for a red zone or a track shove. Those are just a couple of MANY examples. They've happened and I've witnessed it.

Company is top heavy. There are assistant VPs to assistant EVPs and so on. Way too much management.

Morale is lower at my location than it ever has been before.

The company doesn't pay legitimate claims on a daily basis and they over-hire and furlough constantly while paying out upper and middle management bonus and increase shareholder dividends.

UP listens to the lawyers more than us, the guys who are out here doing the actual real work and know the territory. They make decisions with little to zero input from us. At least not in Chicago.

The pure principal and basic defiance of logic is enough to aggravate the most level headed of individuals here. Your sense of alacrity will diminish quickly. We continuously need to condition our minds and bodies to survive this company. It's really amazing how we stay at UP.

Advice to Management

Upper/Middle management along with the MOPs and DROs need to stop screwing with us. Back off and let us do our jobs. And your 55% ratio goal....LOL GOOD LUCK.

"Management is horrible they just don't get it"

Current Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Hinkle, OR
    Current Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Hinkle, OR

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, co workers are great, good experience if you can ignore all the crap management puts out there it's a very good job.

Cons

Management, they make this place unbearable. They don't understand how to manage people and make it a very hard place to work. Working every holiday for at least 5-10 years. Working graveyard for at least 5 years.

Advice to Management

The employees are not your enemy, they should be looked at as an asset, right now your losing employees because management in incompetent at best.

"Your just a body..."

Former Employee - Mechanical Service Operator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Mechanical Service Operator in Houston, TX

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are great, and so are your co-workers

Cons

Management has no idea what they are doing, and your just a body on a roster...

Advice to Management

Treat your employees by the up motto that we are a railroad family

"Just a Number"

Current Employee - Freight Conductor in Villa Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Freight Conductor in Villa Grove, IL

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-- Pay is decent, benefits are good but will be shrinking the next few year with the new contract.

-- When you are left alone, it can be a decent job. Those moments are fleeting though.

Cons

-- You are just a number in the system. Expect to be treated as such.

-- Low-level field management (MYO, MTO, MOP, or whatever their new titles are now) aren't really managers at all. They only seem to exist for the sole purpose of rules testing and discipline. There is no consistency with them in regards to rule interpretations, and has gotten a lot worse with the recent downsizing and new FTX program.

-- Harassment and retribution is alive and well at Union Pacific. Especially if you report a safety issue, or don't do favors for management.

-- There is no work/life balance. If you are married and have kids, and enjoy spending time with them, look else-ware for a job. You ARE expected to work every holiday, and woe unto you if you mark off. That's even if you use one of your compensated days. You WILL work a lot of hours. 200+ hours a month is not uncommon, and will be gone from home on average trips at least 36 hours, if not more. You are on call 24/7/365, and have no way of knowing when you'll be called next (the train lineups are a joke.)

I could go on, but I'll wear out my keyboard.

Advice to Management

Having an operating ratio of 55 is good and all, but you're going to kill off what morale is left to get there. There needs to be less of a focus on the shareholders, and more on the employees and customers. I can only imagine just how productive this company could be if morale among TE&Y employees was improved.

"Through Freight Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are good due to our union contracts.

Cons

Horribly managed, caustic work environment. I have been with this company for almost 15 years, and have seen the work environment go from bad to worse. The upper management is completely out of touch with its rank and file employees, the morale is perpetually in the basement, our union agreements are constantly being trampled upon. I sincerely think this company wants to quit so they can replace us with a machine. The work life balance is all work with no life. If you try and take time off you will be harassed. (If you show up to work you will be harassed) Best advice to a prospective job searcher is to keep looking.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to us, start paying attention to your agreement employees, middle management employees, and customers. Stop paying so much attention to the share holder and your own bank account.

"Doesn't pay enough for as much stress it gives you."

Current Employee - Trainman in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Trainman in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get great training on how to be an amateur lawyer and learn how to stick up for yourself very well since you constantly have to prove your innocence at work. You also greatly inhance your BS meter since you are constantly lied to by management.

Cons

Oh boy, where to start!? I have 20 years with this company and it is just a bad place to work. I was promised to make a 6 figure income with-in a few years 20 years ago when I hired out. I left a job that paid $65,000 back then and it took 15 years to to make that much again. I have had oppertunities to make almost 100,000 a year but it requires giving the company 80 to 100 hours a week of my time working and being away from home "which by the way they don't pay you for when they force you out of town or to stay in their disgusting unclean company hotels"! It was a good place to work but the way they treat their employees is inhumane and degrading now. Also the pay hasn't kept up with inflation and now I make a smidge more than some of the college kids serving and restaurants! That is based off a 40 hour work week. You could make more but will have to work a road trio for 12 to 14 hours then stay in a dirty railroad hotel away from your family for 16 hours and work another 12 to 14 hour train back to your hometown. Then you will get 10 to 12 hours with your family "most of which you will use to sleep" then do the 40 to 44 hour trip all over again! Then you might make 100,000 a year but you gotta do that all year long! Also the medical benefits used to be top notch. Now it is comparable to any other average job out there so don't let them fool you by saying they are good because they used to be but not anymore.

The union can never get decent pay raises either. It doesn't matter what president is in office they always get tiny pay raises with contracts and boost that they did a good job negotiating. In comparison my pay is about 75% higher than when I hired out 20 years ago. But the average house in my area costs 300% more than 20 years ago. Food is at least 100% more. Cars are like 150% more. Utilities are 200% more, And just about everything I can think of has at least doubled. My pay hasn't doubled that's for sure! It's not even close to average inflation. If you factor in $400 the union takes per month and how much monthly insurance is taken out then my 75% increase in pay over 20 years goes down even more. Then the union takes $400 bucks a month, "that includes job insurance which you pretty much have to buy because you WILL get fired at some point for something." Anyways this old dog doesn't like learning nee tricks so I trying to hold out for retirement but if your young and considering the Union Pacific take my advice and go to college and get a job that will make you happy. This job WILL NOT make you happy.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like you would want to be treated.

"Be Prepared To Hand Over Your Soul"

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paycheck never bounces.

Cons

You are a number and can and will be replaced. It's all about the profits as with most corporations. You are on call 24/7 and will work nights, weekends and holidays. Most employees forced to get FMLA or risk being fired for attendance. Pay has been losing ground for the last 20 years. Employees in the 90's made more than we do now. The pay is not worth the 24/7 schedule you have to keep.

Advice to Management

I knew the game when I hired out 20+ years ago but it is much worse now. Morale is the lowest I have ever seen. Remember who helps make you those multi billion dollar profits every quarter or you will lose them to the companies that do.