Union Pacific Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Union Pacific President & CEO Lance Fritz
Lance Fritz

Pros
  • Great training pay and benefits (in 67 reviews)

• Great benefits and retirement pacakage (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not always the greatest (in 55 reviews)

• If you work over the road there is no schedule you are literally on call 24/7 which can get a bit tricky with family life (in 46 reviews)

1. "Freight Conductor Union Pacific"

Current Employee - Railroad Conductor in Coffeyville, KS
    Current Employee - Railroad Conductor in Coffeyville, KS

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Pay. good benefits. good retirement. (for now).

Cons

More Cons than can be listed. Job is fine for a single male who does not care if he is home. Co workers are shady as management. Tons of backstabbing and complaining, You are expected to give up your life and live by a phone call, Not a job that cares about your retention. Managers will also tell you that, Do not become a Railroader, if you like your sanity.

Advice to Management

My advice to management. Get a grip on reality. find a work life balance for your employees. Dollars do not rule everybody. I was looking for employment when I found you.

2. "Train dispatcher"

Current Employee - Train Dispatcher in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Train Dispatcher in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, benefits, I don't know what else to say. You get to go to the gym for free. You can move up within 3 years maybe

Cons

Schedule, work life balance, management. You're paid to give up your life basically. Only care about you loving trains. Family comes last

Advice to Management

Fire them all and start over

"Run Fast"

Former Employee - Freight Conductor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Freight Conductor in Houston, TX

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are no pros to offer.

Cons

Everything about the job is a con.

Advice to Management

Change entire culture. Properly train people on the pacific job. Don't expect a employee to be able to work in an area they have never been before before some sort of orientation.

"Locomotive engineer"

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary, retirement, medical benefits aren't bad but you pay.

Cons

Horrible hours, very uncaring company. Their dream is to run trains with no employees.

Advice to Management

You are a worthless pawn.

"Seniority based. The longer your there the less you do. Your just a body."

Former Employee - Section Truck Driver in Hermiston, OR
    Former Employee - Section Truck Driver in Hermiston, OR

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. I hated working here.

Cons

Name It. Seniority based so the more seniority you have the less you do. I worked on a gang of 30 and maybe 5 people worked.

Advice to Management

Sell to Warren Buffet before you go under.

"Hopefully Things Have Gotten Better..."

Former Employee - Purchasing in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Omaha, NE

I worked at Union Pacific full-time

Pros

Great benefits, people in general and CEO (though like many at his level, is out of touch about what's really going on with his employees). Thankful for the experience as it taught me to appreciate the little issues that all companies have realizing it could always be like they was here.

Cons

In some areas, there are business practices that look the other way on questionable behavior. Managers and an AVP who abuse power, are bad leaders and are conniving at times. I think that my negative experience had some unusual circumstances due to factors too long for this review but having worked for and with many companies this was the absolute worst I've experienced.

Advice to Management

There's no excuse for mistreating people or refusing to change, as it won't help you attract or retain top talent. One suggestion is to make this transparent by providing open employee feedback loops that roll up directly to an accountable executive who will take action, bypassing those HR managers who in general do nothing but play politics to keep the peace with their friends in management (or who they themselves are scared of setting off).

8. "Omaha Natives Need Not Apply"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Omaha, NE
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Omaha, NE

I worked at Union Pacific as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

They gave me real work as an intern and I contributed a significant amount on my team. This was more of my (excellent) manager's work than the overall company though.

Cons

Culture is super corporate. Execs are treated like kings, everyone else is just getting in their way. I was a "Year-round Intern" who worked part-time while I went to school. UP didn't give me any money for food, gas, or living while I worked there- not even in the summer. Before I got my "real" internship they made me work at the company help desk for over a year "to get my foot in the door" where I had to take internal phone calls. Meanwhile the "summer interns", who got shipped in from out of state for 2 months over the summer got 1. More Pay (about $3 more an hour), 2. Housing Paid For, 3. Shuttles to work, and 4. Food Money. The summer interns aren't forced to spend any time taking phone calls or changing passwords, instead they are given relevant work right away. They also get more events to go to like trips to the awesome Henry Doorly Zoo (which the Year-Round interns are invited too, we just had to pay for ourselves while the summer interns didn't). To put icing on the cake, in my department, only 10 "Year-Round" interns (from Omaha) got offered full-time positions for when we graduate in May, but over 60 offers got made to the "summer interns" from the previous year. If you are looking for an internship and are from Omaha, STAY AWAY. They do not care about you and will not give you a job. Any positive thing you read about "UP Internships" are about their SUMMER internships.

Advice to Management

Don't go touting around Omaha career fairs for college students if you're going to offer 10 IT jobs to your Omaha interns and 60+ to your out-of-state interns.

"Management doesn't care about employees"

Current Employee - LEMT in Hinkle, OR
    Current Employee - LEMT in Hinkle, OR

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits, good retirement, great co workers, ever changing work opportunities, diversity in jobs, work is rewarding. Opportunity to travel

Cons

Management treats employees horribly, off shifts, not the best locations, unions have no strength, work all major holidays for about the first 17 years, work weekends possibly for your entire career, management makes a hostile work environment harassing employees in the name of safety.

"Business Manager Sales"

Current Employee - Business Manager Sales in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Business Manager Sales in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits - pension, railroad retirement, etc.

Cons

Poor compensation/salary in comparison to sales positions in other fields. Lacking sales culture. Not performance driven. Little autonomy given to employees, even at director level positions. Arrogant, "might equals right" mentality to the point where business decisions and treatment of customers are borderline unethical.

"Locomotive engineer"

Former Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Pocatello, ID
    Former Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Pocatello, ID

I worked at Union Pacific (More than 8 years)

Pros

Horrible company treats their employees like dirt!!!!!

Cons

Treats employees horrible and does not care about employees or their families, doesn't care abput.ots employee safety all they care about is their bottom line!!!

Advice to Management

Back off and let employees do their jobs