Union Pacific Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Union Pacific President & CEO Lance Fritz
Lance Fritz

Pros
  • Great training pay and benefits (in 68 reviews)

• Great benefits and retirement pacakage (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Challenging work-life balance: relative to similar positions at other companies/fields of work, the workload can at times be cumbersome (in 56 reviews)

• If you work over the road there is no schedule you are literally on call 24/7 which can get a bit tricky with family life (in 46 reviews)

1. "Great Pay/Miserable life"

Former Employee - Manager of Road Operations in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Manager of Road Operations in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are the only pros.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations on responsibilities.
    Work schedule of 70 plus hours per week.
    Superintendent on the UTSU is racist and protected from ethics policy's.
    Senior management treats union and management work force like garbage.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and count on their abilities and experience to do the job properly. To many useless processes. Money is not a substitute for quality of life.

"Difficult balancing quality of life with 13.5 hour days, excellent retirement."

Current Employee - Manager of Terminal Operations in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Manager of Terminal Operations in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Retirement, challenging work environment, excellent employees. Compensation for full service can easily be better than your overall working pay. Company vision is extremely optimistic.

Cons

Hours, and overall schedule. Poor upper field management. Director level employees need to take advantage of learning opportunities to better their management techniques.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage employees positively.

"Business Manager- Marketing"

Former Employee - Business Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reputable institution, great benefits
    In the region UP is well known and it it is known that you work there you gain a lot of respect just through that affiliation. They do offer excellent benefits. The compensation is another matter though. Depending on which department you start in and if management likes you you may or may not be at a good compensation range in comparison to others in the organization.

Cons

Management, systemic isms (sexism, racism, agesim, etc)
    Management places too much emphasis on perception rather than actual work accomplishments. They take the perception rather than work into consideration the performance reviews.

It is very much a good ol boys club there though they are slowly starting to engage more women.

It is a great place if you come from "the right background"; otherwise, it is hard to get connected and move up and around.

Advice to Management

Put action behind rhetoric. Change the process for performance reviews. Actually let managers review their employees instead of allowing VPs to throw out ratings for people they never work with. Allow people from all backgrounds the opportunity to participate on special projects, so that they can prepare themselves for promotions. And promote based on merit.

4. "Good people"

Current Employee - Mechanical Service Operator in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Mechanical Service Operator in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people you work with are the best part of the job

Cons

The politics involved and the many layers of leadership. The not so nice way upper management treats the supervisors which in turn the supervisors treat the workers with disregard. The fact that we are human and we can not complete all the task they want to be completed with the amount of restrictions that are put on the workers. The last 5-6 years it has really gotten a lot worse for the employees in terms of moral and working relationship with superiors

Advice to Management

Stop trying to micro manage everything from a centralized office. Operating in 23 states and every shop whether you like it or not is not exactly the same and can not be ran the exact same way. Stop with the harrassing ETEs and let us do our job they way we are trained to do it

"Carman"

Current Employee - Carman in North Platte, NE
    Current Employee - Carman in North Platte, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific (More than 10 years)

Pros

Insurance, benefits, pay is excellent when there is overtime.

Cons

Management, constantly being harassed, they hire you to fire you

Advice to Management

leave us alone and let us do our jobs.

"Corporate Life Through and Through"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Safe and reliable employment
    The technology is rather up to date for a 100+ year old company
    The people who work there are intelligent and fun to be around

Cons

Poor raises
    High performers are given golden handcuffs of 4 year vesting period stock
    It's very slow moving

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your younger hires, as you're pushing them out the door

"It was ok, not a great place."

Former Employee - Journeyman Diesel Electrician in North Platte, NE
    Former Employee - Journeyman Diesel Electrician in North Platte, NE

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were a few good co-workers. There are A LOT of people there just to collect a paycheck. There are people who try to screw the company every day. Sleeping on the job is extremely common. It's not a bad place to work, but if you like staying busy and actually want a job you can use in the future, look somewhere else.

I was an electrician in the diesel shop. You are going to work all the holidays, weekends and either midnight shift or second shift for years. If you get sick you'd be better off to go to work, otherwise you need a doctor's note saying you were sick. There are no sick days. I hope you enjoy ice fishing, you won't get a week off in the summer. As a new person your vacation will either be one days when you can find a spot on the vacation sheet. Or you can take a week in February. Forget a week in the summer.

The pay is great, insurance is OK, union dues are fair.

It may be different other places than North Platte. I hope it is. Working here has made me glad I quit and went to another job. I like working with people who work. Not people who complain that they are getting screwed but make over $30 an hour.

Cons

Lazy people drive me nuts. It's only 8 hours, 7 hours if you don't count the breaks. It wouldn't be tough to work for 7 hours.

Advice to Management

Not that it's going to make a difference, management needs to get their heads out of the clouds. That place could be a great place to work. But there's a mindset of that's how we've been doing it so that's how it is. If they would adapt and listen to ideas, it might get better.

8. "Stiff Job"

Former Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Roseville, CA

I worked at Union Pacific (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays well also has great benefits.

Cons

Hour are really crapy especially when first hired. If your a family person please be ready to miss out on family events. The pay is good but not good enough to loose valuable time with your family. The management likes to have you do things and if anything goes wrong the finger is on you. I hope this helps.

Advice to Management

Take blame for your OWN actions remember we are a team.

"Not a place for innovation - IT Project Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with
    Nice headquarters building
    Not stressful

Cons

Do NOT work for IT here. Senior management treats IT as an unfortunate expense that I'm sure will be cut soon. So much technology is antiquated. They do not look for what will take the company into the 21st century. IT's main goal is to make the same thing we already have but in a language people actually know.
    Poor performers are never dealt with and as a result there may be 2 people allocated for a job but the work falls all on one.
    Employees are not treated like a valuable resource.
    The health insurance is awful unless you never, ever get sick. Never, ever get sick.

Advice to Management

Realize that the company is going to die if you don't put resources into pushing the railroad into the future.

"Decent pay. HORRIBLE management and experience."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good starting pay, job security

Cons

If you desire to work for a company that values your hard work, seeks improvement from the people who live the problems, a place where you can count on a chance at promotion due to experience as knowledge then this is not the place for you.

They are worried more about dust in the desk fans, new carpet tiles and promoting 6 month old experienced employees than anything else.

This company will suck the life out of you, stick you on a graveyard shift then lay you off a few times.

This isn't an exaggeration more a slight glimpse into the everyday concerns the vast majority of employees experience.

Advice to Management

Get your heads out of your rears. Discipline the people whom deserve it and stop hiring former felons.