Union Pacific Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Union Pacific President & CEO Lance Fritz
Lance Fritz

Pros
  • Great training pay and benefits (in 67 reviews)

• Great benefits and retirement pacakage (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not always the greatest (in 54 reviews)

• If you work over the road there is no schedule you are literally on call 24/7 which can get a bit tricky with family life (in 46 reviews)

"Great benefits, slow to change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific (More than 5 years)

Pros

Golden handcuffs: salary, retention stock, pension, bonuses, railroad retirement (instead of Social security).

Cons

Your experience is completely reliant on your boss. If your boss is incompetent or doesn't like you, expect to get stuck in a position where you can't be promoted or won't be fairly compensated unless you are part if the good old boys network.
    Sexism is alive and well here, though it is subtle. They use gender specific titles (like switchman or brakeman... It's 2017, police officers and postal workers have figured this out but not the railroad). There is a pay gap and management do little to twart it as a whole. Largely, they just pretend that sexism doesn't exist and completely ignore the problem. They point to women in management roles and say, "see, women may be over-represented in management." Yes, over-represented. In IT, we have 25% women overall and 33% women management. That's what they mean by over-represented. They should be asking why women keep leaving the engineering and consultant paths to go to management. The reason: respect and an actual career path. Women in consultant and engineer paths don't get the highest level promotions. Management doesn't care.

Innovation is occurring but management is too afraid of failure and were falling behind. We'll be obsolete in two decades without quick change.

Advice to Management

Actually do something meaningful and impactful for inclusion of people other than men and white people. Yeah, it's Nebraska but that's not a real excuse.

Don't be afraid of innovation. Failure is inevitable for some innovation. Management is too afraid of failure and don't allow employees to try to innovate.

2. "Good people to work with"

Current Employee - Associate Systems Consultant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Associate Systems Consultant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow employees are intelligent and caring.

Cons

Corporate structure very hierarchical and bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

Reduce hierarchy depth.

3. "Overall, a great company to work for."

Current Employee - Carman in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Carman in Houston, TX

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of the job is the benefits, next would be pay. The benefits are some of the best around and pay is good.

Cons

Union environment, not enough room for growth, at least on the side that I'm on. Management seems to WANT to fire people.

"Great company as large companies go"

Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On-shore management and developers are hard working
    Highly professional work environment. If you're expecting to wear shorts and drink beer on the job, this isn't for you but the professionalism that UP demands brings a level of safety and comfort is difficult to find in other places.
    My salary may not compete with Google or some bleeding edge tech company, but I'm VERY happy with it. It has been steadily increasing each year since I graduated (3.5 years ago) and I've received two promotions so far. On top of that, we're receiving end-of-year bonuses that range from 2k-6k.
    The work may not be the most interesting in the world (writing Java services to count trains, or replace hand-written paper work a new web app), but I focus on the architecture, tooling, and clean code and that keeps my mind occupied and always learning.
    I've also never been pressured to work more than 40 hours per week. The last day before a long weekend, we're typically encouraged to go home a couple hours early.

Cons

The biggest problem I have with Union Pacific's IT department is their tendancy to hire off-shore contractors. Overall, they are TERRIBLE. I'm lucky enough to not work with any at the moment, and it's a great reason to work on my current team and not move. Upper and some lower management believe that they're cheap enough that we can just hire more of them to make up for how bad they are.... oh if only they'd look at the output being produced.

Aside from that, I only have standard "big company" stuff to complain about. Things move slowly. It takes time to gain trust with management and high-level tech folks (architects and such).

Advice to Management

STOP HIRING OFF SHORE! And trust your new developers more. Stop being so adverse to change. You guys are all a bunch of bean counters and I honestly believe that is hurting the end result more than helping.

5. "Work long hours high pay"

Former Employee - Freight Conductor in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Freight Conductor in Roseville, CA

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

High pay great benefits ability to work a set schedule or not if you chose ...a chance to be a part of a company that will be around for the foreseeable future

Cons

Lower level Management can be very unexperienced so they will push for impossible results and they will ride your back until it breaks if you let them

Advice to Management

Just let us do our job

6. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineering Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineering Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance at headquarters. Competitive salary

Cons

sometimes rigid and "old culture"

7. "Year-round Intern"

Current Intern - Year-Round in Omaha, NE
    Current Intern - Year-Round in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

UP has good pay for interns

Cons

Year-round interns do not receive as many opportunities or benefits as summer interns do; they do not put a lot of value into hiring year-round interns like they used to

Advice to Management

Make more effort to enhance an interns experience and increase their skill set

8. "Great Company full of lifers!"

Current Employee - Director Strategic Sourcing in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Director Strategic Sourcing in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The People are great
    Company overall values are second to none
    Salary is very comparable and has a pension

Cons

Not much movement
    Little too political at times

Advice to Management

I would say we should do more to retain millennials

"This is review as an exempt (salaried) employee."

Current Employee - Director in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

pension, 401k, gym at HQ or contracted facilities elsewhere, advancement opportunities, ability to move between departments, bonuses, good relocation package, HQ building is beautiful

Cons

company sometimes seems too concerned with reducing costs without thinking of long term consequences. Can be very political at HQ. Many offices outside HQ are old and run down.

Advice to Management

Need to do better competing with other companies on benefits and salaries. Attracting higher quality employees and keeping current employees by spending a little more will save money in the long run by reducing turnover and improving productivity.

10. "employment"

Current Employee - Railroad Conductor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Railroad Conductor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great work, great people, great pay, opportunities for advancement

Cons

management is very aggressive towards finding infractions to meet their monthly goals