Union Pacific Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 16, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work - Life balance is terrible (in 70 reviews)

• If you work over the road there is no schedule you are literally on call 24/7 which can get a bit tricky with family life (in 54 reviews)

"Management is horrible they just don't get it"

Current Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Hinkle, OR
    Current Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Hinkle, OR

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, co workers are great, good experience if you can ignore all the crap management puts out there it's a very good job.

Cons

Management, they make this place unbearable. They don't understand how to manage people and make it a very hard place to work. Working every holiday for at least 5-10 years. Working graveyard for at least 5 years.

Advice to Management

The employees are not your enemy, they should be looked at as an asset, right now your losing employees because management in incompetent at best.

"Manager Yard Operations"

I worked at Union Pacific full-time

Pros

RR Retirement is great if you can last 30 years. Large company who will be around for a long time

Cons

Poor quality of life for operations managers. Expect 50+ hours a week standard

Advice to Management

Improve employee morale on union and management side to drastically improve efficiency in rail yards

"Your just a body..."

Former Employee - Mechanical Service Operator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Mechanical Service Operator in Houston, TX

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are great, and so are your co-workers

Cons

Management has no idea what they are doing, and your just a body on a roster...

Advice to Management

Treat your employees by the up motto that we are a railroad family

"Just a Number"

Current Employee - Freight Conductor in Villa Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Freight Conductor in Villa Grove, IL

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-- Pay is decent, benefits are good but will be shrinking the next few year with the new contract.

-- When you are left alone, it can be a decent job. Those moments are fleeting though.

Cons

-- You are just a number in the system. Expect to be treated as such.

-- Low-level field management (MYO, MTO, MOP, or whatever their new titles are now) aren't really managers at all. They only seem to exist for the sole purpose of rules testing and discipline. There is no consistency with them in regards to rule interpretations, and has gotten a lot worse with the recent downsizing and new FTX program.

-- Harassment and retribution is alive and well at Union Pacific. Especially if you report a safety issue, or don't do favors for management.

-- There is no work/life balance. If you are married and have kids, and enjoy spending time with them, look else-ware for a job. You ARE expected to work every holiday, and woe unto you if you mark off. That's even if you use one of your compensated days. You WILL work a lot of hours. 200+ hours a month is not uncommon, and will be gone from home on average trips at least 36 hours, if not more. You are on call 24/7/365, and have no way of knowing when you'll be called next (the train lineups are a joke.)

I could go on, but I'll wear out my keyboard.

Advice to Management

Having an operating ratio of 55 is good and all, but you're going to kill off what morale is left to get there. There needs to be less of a focus on the shareholders, and more on the employees and customers. I can only imagine just how productive this company could be if morale among TE&Y employees was improved.

5. "UP Review"

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits and pay scales

Cons

difficult schedules and work life balance

6. "Locomotive Engineer"

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time

Pros

Flexibility, salary, comradarie, coworkers, Union job

Cons

Weather,management,uncertainty, rigid rules, workplace less than standard

"Changing times in a changing industry"

I worked at Union Pacific full-time

Pros

Very good people throughout the company. Good work / life balance in most corporate roles. Good salaries and great benefits - for now.

Cons

Extremely hierarchical - to the point of being insulting to experienced employees. Project approvals take forever because of the numerous layers of management. During the recent reorganization everyone in corporate received new job titles and numerous people received demotions.

Advice to Management

You need to recognize the signs that there is a significant disconnect between the executive level and employees. The employee survey results claiming a lack of transparency and poor communications are directed at the executive level, not middle management as you have assumed. Please self-assess.

"Through Freight Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are good due to our union contracts.

Cons

Horribly managed, caustic work environment. I have been with this company for almost 15 years, and have seen the work environment go from bad to worse. The upper management is completely out of touch with its rank and file employees, the morale is perpetually in the basement, our union agreements are constantly being trampled upon. I sincerely think this company wants to quit so they can replace us with a machine. The work life balance is all work with no life. If you try and take time off you will be harassed. (If you show up to work you will be harassed) Best advice to a prospective job searcher is to keep looking.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to us, start paying attention to your agreement employees, middle management employees, and customers. Stop paying so much attention to the share holder and your own bank account.

"Descent living, bad morale, microsupervised"

Current Employee - Carman in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Carman in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, medical, dental, that's it

Cons

Managers come after you for everything...

"Doesn't pay enough for as much stress it gives you."

Current Employee - Trainman in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Trainman in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get great training on how to be an amateur lawyer and learn how to stick up for yourself very well since you constantly have to prove your innocence at work. You also greatly inhance your BS meter since you are constantly lied to by management.

Cons

Oh boy, where to start!? I have 20 years with this company and it is just a bad place to work. I was promised to make a 6 figure income with-in a few years 20 years ago when I hired out. I left a job that paid $65,000 back then and it took 15 years to to make that much again. I have had oppertunities to make almost 100,000 a year but it requires giving the company 80 to 100 hours a week of my time working and being away from home "which by the way they don't pay you for when they force you out of town or to stay in their disgusting unclean company hotels"! It was a good place to work but the way they treat their employees is inhumane and degrading now. Also the pay hasn't kept up with inflation and now I make a smidge more than some of the college kids serving and restaurants! That is based off a 40 hour work week. You could make more but will have to work a road trio for 12 to 14 hours then stay in a dirty railroad hotel away from your family for 16 hours and work another 12 to 14 hour train back to your hometown. Then you will get 10 to 12 hours with your family "most of which you will use to sleep" then do the 40 to 44 hour trip all over again! Then you might make 100,000 a year but you gotta do that all year long! Also the medical benefits used to be top notch. Now it is comparable to any other average job out there so don't let them fool you by saying they are good because they used to be but not anymore.

The union can never get decent pay raises either. It doesn't matter what president is in office they always get tiny pay raises with contracts and boost that they did a good job negotiating. In comparison my pay is about 75% higher than when I hired out 20 years ago. But the average house in my area costs 300% more than 20 years ago. Food is at least 100% more. Cars are like 150% more. Utilities are 200% more, And just about everything I can think of has at least doubled. My pay hasn't doubled that's for sure! It's not even close to average inflation. If you factor in $400 the union takes per month and how much monthly insurance is taken out then my 75% increase in pay over 20 years goes down even more. Then the union takes $400 bucks a month, "that includes job insurance which you pretty much have to buy because you WILL get fired at some point for something." Anyways this old dog doesn't like learning nee tricks so I trying to hold out for retirement but if your young and considering the Union Pacific take my advice and go to college and get a job that will make you happy. This job WILL NOT make you happy.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like you would want to be treated.