Union Pacific Reviews | Glassdoor

Union Pacific Reviews

Updated May 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great training pay and benefits (in 67 reviews)

• Great benefits and retirement pacakage (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not always the greatest (in 55 reviews)

• If you work over the road there is no schedule you are literally on call 24/7 which can get a bit tricky with family life (in 46 reviews)

"Excellent career if you enjoy being single"

Former Employee - Union Pacific Conductor in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Union Pacific Conductor in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not labor intensive. Excellent pay for high school education. Benefits are nearly unmatched. 30 years for 100% vested in retirement system.

Cons

Micromanagement and on call schedule. You cannot plan more than a few days in advance at most. Calling in sick is your only option many times to even make a doctor's appointment.

Advice to Management

Safety is important. More rules doesn't make work safer, just reduces freedom and creates resentment.

"Conductor road / Metra"

Current Employee - Conductor in Northlake, IL
    Current Employee - Conductor in Northlake, IL

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits can't be beat

Cons

A lot of the management don't have none or no railroading backgrounds and it seems as if their looking to fire some one every day

Advice to Management

Run it like a railroad and not like corporate office job

"Corporate Life Through and Through"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Safe and reliable employment
    The technology is rather up to date for a 100+ year old company
    The people who work there are intelligent and fun to be around

Cons

Poor raises
    High performers are given golden handcuffs of 4 year vesting period stock
    It's very slow moving

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your younger hires, as you're pushing them out the door

"It was ok, not a great place."

Former Employee - Journeyman Diesel Electrician in North Platte, NE
    Former Employee - Journeyman Diesel Electrician in North Platte, NE

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were a few good co-workers. There are A LOT of people there just to collect a paycheck. There are people who try to screw the company every day. Sleeping on the job is extremely common. It's not a bad place to work, but if you like staying busy and actually want a job you can use in the future, look somewhere else.

I was an electrician in the diesel shop. You are going to work all the holidays, weekends and either midnight shift or second shift for years. If you get sick you'd be better off to go to work, otherwise you need a doctor's note saying you were sick. There are no sick days. I hope you enjoy ice fishing, you won't get a week off in the summer. As a new person your vacation will either be one days when you can find a spot on the vacation sheet. Or you can take a week in February. Forget a week in the summer.

The pay is great, insurance is OK, union dues are fair.

It may be different other places than North Platte. I hope it is. Working here has made me glad I quit and went to another job. I like working with people who work. Not people who complain that they are getting screwed but make over $30 an hour.

Cons

Lazy people drive me nuts. It's only 8 hours, 7 hours if you don't count the breaks. It wouldn't be tough to work for 7 hours.

Advice to Management

Not that it's going to make a difference, management needs to get their heads out of the clouds. That place could be a great place to work. But there's a mindset of that's how we've been doing it so that's how it is. If they would adapt and listen to ideas, it might get better.

"Management doesn't care about employees"

Current Employee - LEMT in Hinkle, OR
    Current Employee - LEMT in Hinkle, OR

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits, good retirement, great co workers, ever changing work opportunities, diversity in jobs, work is rewarding. Opportunity to travel

Cons

Management treats employees horribly, off shifts, not the best locations, unions have no strength, work all major holidays for about the first 17 years, work weekends possibly for your entire career, management makes a hostile work environment harassing employees in the name of safety.

"Business Manager Sales"

Current Employee - Business Manager Sales in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Business Manager Sales in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits - pension, railroad retirement, etc.

Cons

Poor compensation/salary in comparison to sales positions in other fields. Lacking sales culture. Not performance driven. Little autonomy given to employees, even at director level positions. Arrogant, "might equals right" mentality to the point where business decisions and treatment of customers are borderline unethical.

8. "Stiff Job"

Former Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Roseville, CA

I worked at Union Pacific (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays well also has great benefits.

Cons

Hour are really crapy especially when first hired. If your a family person please be ready to miss out on family events. The pay is good but not good enough to loose valuable time with your family. The management likes to have you do things and if anything goes wrong the finger is on you. I hope this helps.

Advice to Management

Take blame for your OWN actions remember we are a team.

9. "Track Foreman"

Current Employee - Track Foreman in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Track Foreman in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time

Pros

The company offers union employees competitive pay, a benefits package that is rivaled by only that of active duty military, and being a railroad employee makes you eligible to draw Railroad Retirement after a full career which is a enormous upgrade from social security. As for the other comments here complaining about layoffs and corporate practices, let me say this:1) everyone of them were told at the time of their hire that their employment was temporary and seasonal. They knew what they were getting into from the beginning. What they're also not mentioning is that layoffs mostly only effect junior employees. For those that stick through it, plan for layoffs by being financially responsible, and put in their years will eventually reach a point where their seniority will hold them above the cuts. And 2) yes, management does operate somewhat carelessly of its employees well being. But show me one publicly traded corporation in this country that doesn't. In my humble opinion there is not a better opportunity available in this country for high school graduates and ex-military workers in the country.

Cons

Worse than the company's mistreatment of employers is the fact that the employee unions do nothing to stop it. They do not represent their members despite forcefully compelling them to pay dues.

Coping with the mental stress of having to work outside of your home town and extensive travel can be difficult for some to deal with. The strain on relationships, marriages, and families can also be difficult. I won't lie that there is a high divorce rate amongst railroaders. But, just as it takes to make it through them first years, dedication and work will get couples through it while they learn to manage it.

Advice to Management

Efficiency. Efficiency. Efficiency. I see so much waste of time and material in this company it is ridiculous. There are companies in this country that don't earn what this one wastes. Operating efficiently from the top to bottom makes the company, and in turn it's workers, profitable.

10. "Union Pacific"

Current Employee - Railroad Conductor in West Colton, CA
    Current Employee - Railroad Conductor in West Colton, CA

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Long-term Outlook. Union Pacific is a wonderful company to work for. There's many opportunities available for advancement. Management and employees work well with each other to accomplish tasks on a daily basis. Safety and teamwork are key for long term employment.

Cons

Everyone that works on the transportation side below management are required to belong to a union. Union dues have been increasing over the time I have worked for the company and union members get nothing in return.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

11. "Manager Terminal Operations"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Union Pacific (Less than a year)

Pros

UP provides great benefits and a healthy compensation package to non-agreement employees.

Cons

Compensation after hours worked does not equate to the best salary with the life/work balance you are provided