Union Pacific Reviews | Glassdoor

Union Pacific Reviews

Updated March 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great training pay and benefits (in 64 reviews)

• Great benefits and retirement pacakage (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not always the greatest (in 53 reviews)

• If you work over the road there is no schedule you are literally on call 24/7 which can get a bit tricky with family life (in 46 reviews)

"Lots of Money, no time to enjoy it."

Current Employee - Manager Or Terminal Operations in Kennewick, WA
    Current Employee - Manager Or Terminal Operations in Kennewick, WA

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The money is good and opportunities are plentiful. One can advance very fast and if you don't like one department, it's easy to move on to another.

Cons

If you work in operations, you'll have no time to live life. Might as well let go of all hobbies because you won't engage in them anymore, unless your favorites thing to do is railroad. Facebook is the only way you'll every see friends and family.

Advice to Management

Reduce the work days for managers. Too much talent is walking out of the door for less money all for shorter work days.

2. "Recommends"

Pros

Great benefits and good pay. A lot of rules causing work to be overwhelming in beginning. A lot of room for growth

Cons

A lot of rules, corporate culture and political environment. Very little time off. Extra work is placed on you and if something goes wrong,it is your fault

Advice to Management

Be more considerate of the fact that employees have lives outside of work. More consistent management would be helpful and better communication of what is expected

"EXECUTIVES - PLEASE READ"

Current Employee - Manager Terminal Operations
    Current Employee - Manager Terminal Operations

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time

Pros

Pay. Retirement benefits. Trying to figure out how to make this 20 words, because those are the only pros.

Cons

Long hours. Unrealistic demand given assets available. Terrible, stressful culture. Treating people right is continuously preached at headquarters in Omaha, but fear tactics run rampant in the field. Everyone is stressed. Overworked. We are going to G55+0 ourselves into an increase in turnover, (which we're seeing), and suicide.

Advice to Management

Bring common sense back to railroading. Get focused on the customer instead of how big we can run trains on minimum TPA. Give us power and people. We are going to lean manage ourselves right into obscurity due to our constant failures to downstream customers.

"It was ok, not a great place."

Former Employee - Journeyman Diesel Electrician in North Platte, NE
    Former Employee - Journeyman Diesel Electrician in North Platte, NE

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were a few good co-workers. There are A LOT of people there just to collect a paycheck. There are people who try to screw the company every day. Sleeping on the job is extremely common. It's not a bad place to work, but if you like staying busy and actually want a job you can use in the future, look somewhere else.

I was an electrician in the diesel shop. You are going to work all the holidays, weekends and either midnight shift or second shift for years. If you get sick you'd be better off to go to work, otherwise you need a doctor's note saying you were sick. There are no sick days. I hope you enjoy ice fishing, you won't get a week off in the summer. As a new person your vacation will either be one days when you can find a spot on the vacation sheet. Or you can take a week in February. Forget a week in the summer.

The pay is great, insurance is OK, union dues are fair.

It may be different other places than North Platte. I hope it is. Working here has made me glad I quit and went to another job. I like working with people who work. Not people who complain that they are getting screwed but make over $30 an hour.

Cons

Lazy people drive me nuts. It's only 8 hours, 7 hours if you don't count the breaks. It wouldn't be tough to work for 7 hours.

Advice to Management

Not that it's going to make a difference, management needs to get their heads out of the clouds. That place could be a great place to work. But there's a mindset of that's how we've been doing it so that's how it is. If they would adapt and listen to ideas, it might get better.

6. "Premium Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The salary is very generous, full pension (qualification after 5 years), annual bonus, cost of living aid, and moving benefits for most career moves.

Cons

Hours are awful, especially when doing vacation coverage for fellow managers or when something goes wrong as you are expected to stay into the next manager's shift to help fight the fires. On top of awful 13 plus hour days one will not have any sick days - not entirely true if working the average terminal as it is possible to call off since its usually a two plus manager team per shift, but there are the rare yards that put the managers in a place where they cannot call off, ever.

Advice to Management

Treat fellow managers bellow you the same as you would treat the crews and your superiors, no need to be mean to make sure everyone works together to accomplish company goals every quarter. Senior management needs to wake up and realize the culture needs to change as well as the single lense focus on safety and not business as well.

7. "Management doesn't care about employees"

Current Employee - LEMT in Hinkle, OR
    Current Employee - LEMT in Hinkle, OR

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits, good retirement, great co workers, ever changing work opportunities, diversity in jobs, work is rewarding. Opportunity to travel

Cons

Management treats employees horribly, off shifts, not the best locations, unions have no strength, work all major holidays for about the first 17 years, work weekends possibly for your entire career, management makes a hostile work environment harassing employees in the name of safety.

8. "Financial analyst"

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time

Pros

Great environment to work in.

Cons

Not a lot of vacation

9. "Stiff Job"

Former Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Roseville, CA

I worked at Union Pacific (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays well also has great benefits.

Cons

Hour are really crapy especially when first hired. If your a family person please be ready to miss out on family events. The pay is good but not good enough to loose valuable time with your family. The management likes to have you do things and if anything goes wrong the finger is on you. I hope this helps.

Advice to Management

Take blame for your OWN actions remember we are a team.

"Business Manager Sales"

Current Employee - Business Manager Sales in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Business Manager Sales in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits - pension, railroad retirement, etc.

Cons

Poor compensation/salary in comparison to sales positions in other fields. Lacking sales culture. Not performance driven. Little autonomy given to employees, even at director level positions. Arrogant, "might equals right" mentality to the point where business decisions and treatment of customers are borderline unethical.

"Conductor road / Metra"

Current Employee - Conductor in Northlake, IL
    Current Employee - Conductor in Northlake, IL

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits can't be beat

Cons

A lot of the management don't have none or no railroading backgrounds and it seems as if their looking to fire some one every day

Advice to Management

Run it like a railroad and not like corporate office job